Note to slide rule junkies (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> Note to slide rule junkies (7/27/2001 10:19:00 AM)

Hmmm how do I put it. Been playing a long WW2 campaign eh. My unit is not all that special. A bit of this a bit of that. Even bought a couple of thingys cause they look neat (Command Tent for the boss). Playing as the British eh. Got me a fine formation of Matilda's (love them Matilda tanks). Got some arty got some infantry, usually go nuts on 8 inch arty with support points too. Now I know everyone likes to play the Germans (superman myth and all that). They were supposedly was soooo good during the attack in France during 1940. Hmmmmm With my opening battle I handed the Germans their heads on platter. For me my casualties were one of my Matildas had a broken gun, bummer. Half my army (that was defensive posture supposedly) never even had the chance to shoot at the Germans. Then I move to the desert. And I find that the Italian army is worse than in real life. My only problem was I got bored. So I attacked the attackers. What a rout. Of course arty has a nice habit of trashing an attack. The Italians never had a chance. That made it two crushing defeats. Fighting at Halfaya right now in battle number 3. Same Italians it seems. Man they suck. Been hearing a lot of commentary about game mechanics issues. Hmmmm. Well I defended and kicked butt. Then I played defense and turned it to an attack and kicked butt. Cant say I have met any of those indestructible infantry I have been hearing about. Seems to me the player only needs the right weapon at the right moment. Maybe thats what the problem is. Or perhaps people are over analysing. This is therefore my wholehearted endorsement of 6.1 being perfectly fine. I can defend well. I can attack well (even when I should be defending). But I have perhaps read the battlefield well and and I am merely enjoying the fruits of good leadership. Either way I have done all the things that seem to be undoable to some of our posters. Maybe to play Steel Panthers one must put down the slide rule and get out and smell the battlefield more. I never consult weapon stats. I dont follow the messages when I use my units. If it doesnt work the first time I try again. I try to see myself on the screen and "feel" my way through each turn. Steel Panthers is after all just a game. Eventually you have to put away the calculator. Eventually you have to use that thing that all leaders have. You have to take what you have, and make it perform. The games niggling details will neeeeever be totally accurate. Its just not possible. Do YOU really have what it takes.

Banjo -> (7/27/2001 6:10:00 PM)

I can't agree with you more Les. Once you find the right combination of arms, anything is possible. Most times anyway. I even have one of thoseold slip sticks around somewhere, and vaugely remember how to use it!!!

Jaques Rico -> (7/27/2001 7:28:00 PM)

Iam not impressed at all. The long campaign is even with hard battle on and +200% morale/experience for the enemy to easy. So what? Greetings JR

panda124c -> (7/27/2001 7:39:00 PM)

Gee wouldn't it be nice to be able to do a WWII Campain against a human. The AI is sooooo stupid. :D

Larry Holt -> (7/27/2001 8:41:00 PM)

The Italians are easy, especially in the desert. Then again this models real life. If you want a challenge play against the Soviets and try to beat up on T-34s and KVs with PzIIIs. It was difficult for the Germans and the game will show this. Or try against the Japanese in the jungles. Infantry is not in its environment in the desert, it does better in the jungle. The game is a tactical one. The Germans kicked butt at the operational level which is not simulated in the game. The Germans swept through the Ardennes and into the Allies rear where PKWIIs shot up supply trains THEN they faced the main Allied combat elements. Of course the long campaign is not really against the Italians, Germans, etc. but the AIP. Since you like the desert have you tried the MC? You will find it more challenging for sure.

Del -> (7/28/2001 8:20:00 AM)

Using what you have to it's full potential is exactly what the Germans did during the war. Heck, they were still producing luxury items in 1943. If they had gone full tilt towards war production from 1939 hard telling how things would have turned out.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI