Avalon Hills Squad Leader (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Klinkenhoffen -> Avalon Hills Squad Leader (10/16/2003 9:24:07 AM)

Hello,

just curious if there is anyone out there who still plays the original Squad Leader, not just Advanced Squad Leader.

I bought the entire series in the late '80's, played them, put them away and recently rediscovered them. At the time I couldn't afford the expence of ASL even though it is a superior game. I don't play enough to justify buying ASL today.

Please no responces from the philistines of "whats a board game?". :p

Les the Sarge is a true believer. He will understand.

Klinkenhoffen

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (10/16/2003 11:34:01 AM)

I saw a mint copy of SL a while ago unopened and everything for 9 bucks along with a mint unopened Panzerblitz same price.

Still not willing to forgive myself for that moment of discipline for not spending my then limited cash on them :)

SL has many features that still make it a good game. If I was to play SL though, odds are I would require it be just that SL not CoI or CoD or GI AoV.

ASL is a great game only because it was built from the start to be the same way at the end. Whereas SL was fine, then they started adding things to it. By the time you had GI it was no longer properly balanced.

If they had never gone beyond SL odds are I would still be playing it and calling it one of the best games ever made as well.

You might like knowing Klink, that you can play SL via VASL as well eh.

Klinkenhoffen -> (10/20/2003 10:53:37 AM)

It is good to see that there are still player of SL/ASL out there.

I first started playing Steel Panthers when it became difficult finding opponents for Squad Leader. The time factor and negotiating a location to play all become harder when full time work/ families/ studies were factored in.

Steel Panthers allowed me to continue to play a SL type game but with the convienance of the electronic world but, and I think it was Les the Sarge who said it, it lacks the face to face contact, eg when you it all goes wrong for your opponent(or you) and you can see the expression on their face.

Having just rediscovered Squad Leader, I think that there is a place now for both with me.

klink

Klinkenhoffen -> (10/27/2003 9:15:56 AM)

Les the Sarge,

you said earlier that Squad Leader can be played via VASL as well as Advanced Squad Leader.

I have not yet down loaded to have a look at VASL but could you tell me if there is much of a following for Squad Leader.

Klink

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI