Small Unit Tactics Research (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

MelonHead -> Small Unit Tactics Research (10/20/2003 5:34:46 AM)

Hey everybody!

It's been a while since I've posted around here, but I've been browsing for a little over six months. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand with something I'm trying to do some research on.

I'm doing a study of small unit tactics in World War II (no larger than platoon size-preferably squad or fire team, but I'll see where things are going), and I've found a couple of books and stuff, but I was wondering if you guys know any good sites for US or German small tactics. Really the thing I'm looking for right now is a diagram of how squads were taught to operate. In particular, I want one demonstrating how a squad should set up a base of fire with a MG/automatic weapon (like the BAR) then move up under the base of fire, since that's my basic understanding of how these things work. I imagine there would be one in a field manual or something, but I have very little knowledge of how these things work-I'm just starting my research and have never been in the military. The big thing I'm looking for right now is that pic, but if you guys have any other suggestions of websites or books or documents those would be really helpful-my library searches have turned up lots of stuff but having more sources and more perspectives can never be bad, in my opinion. Thanks for any help!

STEELER13 -> nafziger (10/20/2003 8:38:24 AM)

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/[COLOR=Blue]
Yo Sir,
Try the above link. That is Nafziger Collection and he has several $20 booklets on OOB's and Squad Tactics. I own one on Panzer tactics--excellent as are the OOB's(I own the German collection and several of the Russian)
Other things to try:
Barnes and Noble should be able to get you a copy of PanzerTruppen by Jentz(two volumes-one handles 1939to1942, second handles the rest). Very detailed, most excellent! I paid $25 each for mine 4 years ago, and they are very dog-eared now.

Do a search for a Glantz title about Soviet Defensive tactics at Kursk(note not the book he did with House,this is a separate 60 page "pamplet" loosely bound(looks like a college thesis). EXCELLENT analysis of Soviet defensive tactics from Stalingrad to Kursk, and goes into great detail at the level you like.

Last but not least, and I am sure someone has the link(sorry can't find it right now), for the US Army Military History which has several online books detailing German, Soviet and US squad tactics. These are also published in book format by US government(they have bookstores in most major cities).

Let me know if this helps you.[/COLOR]

MelonHead -> (10/21/2003 10:32:05 AM)

I've had a couple of hours to research and my, oh my am I excited! There is so much cool stuff buried in the US military archives! Everything from war department pamphlets to actual AARs. Whee-thanks again, everyone.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI