(Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (10/21/2003 1:51:22 AM)

Fredflak you comments are very valid remarks.

Finding another opponent could in alot of cases be the decisive element in justifying an interest in SL/ASL.

But with the VASL program, you will never have the problem on NO opponents, although playing face to face will always be superior.

I think the only thing I can say to sway you on the subject of complexity, is ASL canoften deliver that level of accuracy most wargames on the computer seem to fail with.
ASL is not immune to quirks though.

But the dollars and cents issue might be a deciding facor enough to matter. I would never pick Steel Panthers over ASL, but that is not to say Steel Panthers is just not a good game, it just isn't ASL.

I am also a champion of Advanced Third Reich being the king of strategy wargames. But then I can also state that sometimes the person has to go with the more doable purchase of Strategic Command. SC is a great game, it is just no A3R :)

If ASL retains your interest, look into the Steel Panthers game as well.

NaKATPase -> (10/21/2003 4:23:06 AM)

[QUOTE=Fredflak]
But it did take a drop in my priorities when I saw the rules for that thing. Almost seems to be complex only to be complex, like complexity is a badge of honor of some sort.
[/QUOTE]

Having played both SL and ASL, I really don't think that ASL is complex for the sake of being complex. 90% of the time you use the same 20% of the rule book, with the majority of the rules' length coming from taking care to anticipate every possibility that might come up. Any given scenario may use some percentage of these "extra" rules, and once you know the core infantry combat system, you can probably get by just by brushing up on any rules specific for the scenario.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI