Some graphics advice? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Bernie -> Some graphics advice? (10/22/2003 12:20:55 PM)

After working on MCSE, and seeing the popularity of mods for SP like H2H, Modern Battles, the current Civil War mod being worked on, etc. I got interested in the idea of doing my own mod for SP. I need a little advice, and maybe some help though. First, there's the .lbm files, which I'll have to create new ones of. I have PSP 6.0, which will open and save in the .lbm format, but I need a copy of the palette that will load into PSP 6.0. There is a "palette.lbm" in the PICS directory, but I can't get PSP to load it, even after changing the extension. I also need to know, should the .lbm's be compressed, or uncompressed? How about the .shp files? What are people using to edit those? Any and all answers would be much appreciated.

Voriax -> (10/22/2003 7:01:07 PM)

Bernie, use pspro to copy an existing palette from a current SPWaW .lbm and apply said palette into your new pics. As for shp's afaik you can use whatever program you like to do the actual edit. You just need to save the result as bitmap and then use shpedit to convert this bitmap. I am not certain about the image size... I'm sure Warhorse will correct me if my memory fails me :) Voriax

tracer -> (10/22/2003 10:05:49 PM)

[QUOTE=Bernie]

How about the .shp files? What are people using to edit those?

Any and all answers would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

For the SHP Upgrade I used PhotoShop6, but PSP is better suited for SPWAW editing. And the help files in Fred's ShpEd are geared toward PSP users:
[QUOTE] Palettes used by ShpEd are in the ascii format used by PaintShop Pro. If you need a palette for a game other than those above you will probably find it in a file with the lbm extension and you can get it by loading that file into PSP and saving the palette. Some expert users edit the palette files to achieve special purposes. This is especially useful for the flashing colors. If you use Notepad and WIN98 you may need to give the file the pal extension after editing. [/QUOTE]

If you look in the main SPWAW folder you'll find the palette in .pcx, .lbm and .pal format.

The trick with ShpEd is understanding Fred's 'safety valve': the 'bignew.shp' file. When you insert icons into an SHP file the original file is [I]not[/I] changed, instead a temporary file named [I]bignew.shp[/I] is created in your SHP folder. After inserting the first icon you then switch to (open) [I]bignew[/I] and continue adding icons...when you're done just delete or move the original SHP file and then rename [I]bignew[/I] to that file's name.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI