Usage of ''set range'' (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

ansravar -> Usage of ''set range'' (2/6/2004 6:31:50 AM)

What is the usage of ''Set Range'' function in Stell panthers?
What is the difference between indirect and direct fire and when should i use them...

I went through the manual 2 times and i am still feeling lost[8|]

Kokoda -> RE: Usage of ''set range'' (2/6/2004 8:38:38 AM)

Sent as PM

Warrior2 -> RE: Usage of ''set range'' (2/9/2004 3:22:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ansravar

What is the usage of ''Set Range'' function in Stell panthers?
What is the difference between indirect and direct fire and when should i use them...

I went through the manual 2 times and i am still feeling lost[8|]

It's a nice way to set an ambush. For instance, I'll set my flamethrowers for 1 hex range, and they won't op fire beyond that, keeping their shock for an enemy who gets close and can be fried! I also set FO's to 1. I don't want them giving away their position by taking potshots at enemy units. Even with a short range set, you can still fire with the unit at whatever range their weapons will reach.

Capt. Pixel -> RE: Usage of ''set range'' (2/9/2004 7:51:31 PM)

I set my Scouts to Range = 0. This keeps them hidden for a good long time. Setting range can also help keep your units from shooting up jeeps a mile away. Set the range to an effective distance for the weapon used. Maximum range is usually just wasting ammunition and Opportunity Fire shots. I tend to set mine at 1/2 maximum range.

Setting range on an indirect firing unit has no effect on Indirect fire. Set Range only affects Direct Fire and Opportunity Fire.

Direct Fire - When the Firing unit and target unit can see each other. Direct Fire is called during the Player's Move and Shoot portion of the turn. Most units are capable of Direct Fire.

Opportunity Fire - this is fire by your units at the enemy during the enemy's movement. Set Range will affect the unit by determining at what range that opportunity fire will be taken.

Indirect Fire - Usually (but not always) when the Firing unit and target are NOT in line-of-sight to each other. Indirect Fire is plotted from the Barrage screen ('B' key) and arrives during the end-of-turn Artillery phase. It arrives either at the end of your turn and/or at the end of the enemy's turn, depending on the barrage Delay. This includes fire from mortars, howitzers, offboard arty and airstrikes.

Keep in mind that some arty units have range limits too. (eg. an 81mm mortar only has a maximum range of 56 hexes - about half the map width) You cannot plot a barrage outside their maximum range - the plot button for that weapon will show as dimmed when out of range.

Take a look at 'Artillery Management - T.O.T.' in the SP:WaW Training Center subforum for more on artillery usage.

Welcome, and I hope this helps. [:)]
[8D]

Eben-Emael -> RE: Usage of ''set range'' (2/11/2004 10:51:09 AM)

From what I gathered, a unit is less detectable when its range is low. It comes from the fact that SPWAW modelizes a unit's "sixth sense".

If your unit sees an enemy and its range is equal or greater to the distance between them, it is more likely that the enemy will spot your unit, because it can "feel" that it is being observed.

So for assault scenarios in closed environments (jungle, forest, low visibility) it is better to keep your range to a minimum. That way, you may be able to come within a few hexes of the enemy without being detected, and get the option to fire first.

ansravar -> RE: Usage of ''set range'' (2/11/2004 6:16:10 PM)

Thanks for helping guys....It seems clear to me now.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI