HTTR or KP---Which 1 to choose??? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

perpster -> HTTR or KP---Which 1 to choose??? (2/7/2004 9:40:08 PM)

I have extensively read reviews and posts on both KP and HHTR. They both look great, but I only have time to learn and play one of them.

I would appreciate any advice, insights, etc. to help me choose.

My wargaming background fondly goes back to Avalon Hill games. My favorite was/is PanzerBlitz. My computer wargaming background goes back to V For Victory and Harpoon from 360 Games. I currently play the Microsoft/Atomic Games Close Combat series (CC2 ABTF, CC3 Russian Front, and CC4 Battle of the Bulge).

I would like a game that can be played without boredom versus the AI, AND versus a human opponent online or pbem.

One question I have is that there seems to be a large following for KP; is there a similar following for HTTR? I'd like to commit to a game that will still be around and played avidly down the road. For example, CC2, CC3 (and to a lesser extent CC4) are no longer even supported on the Microsoft GameZone, but it is not hard to find online opponents almost any time of the day/night. I'd like that kind of community. Does it exist in HTTR? KP?

I think my preference would be toward the smaller scale HTTR, but the reviews of KP are so overwhelmingly good (compared to somewhat mixed reviews of HTTR), that I just don't know which game to go with. Another factor to consider is that I will try to influence friends to get into computer wargaming with whichever game I choose. So, their ability and patience to learn the game are a factor, but not controlling.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Perp

Miller Logan -> RE: HTTR or KP---Which 1 to choose??? (2/7/2004 10:16:36 PM)

My gaming experience started with Panzerblitz in 1972 and I have been an avid CC player since CC1. Both HTTR and KP are great games but I prefer the KP series. I think KP will be around a long time as they just recently released the Across the Dnepr add-on and the Normandy game is due out later this year. I'm still a big fan of boardgame style operational and strategic games and find the TAO/KP engine by far the most enjoyable. Even though it is turned based it is to me at least, much more exciting than the Tiller style games. This may sound strange but to me it creates a more realistic "feel" to the battles but with less obvious detail than the HPS games.

HTTR is a great concept and for real-time diehards is probably more appealing but IMO the real-time of the CC series and the operational real-time of HTTR are different experiences. I don't know much about future plans for the HTTR engine.

Just one opinion, both games are well worth the price!

perpster -> RE: HTTR or KP---Which 1 to choose??? (2/7/2004 11:01:07 PM)

Thanks for the reply.

I think in my heart what I am looking for is an accurate, intelligent, realistic implementation of a great game like PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader that is playable and fun without requiring you to get out the ruler and count hexsides to determine LOS. I am hoping and wondering whether either/both KP/HTTR are the answer.

I also found HPS Panzer Campaigns had too much detail to be aware of, which detracted from fun/playability. I really liked reading that clicking on a unit in KP automatically highlights all hexes that can moved to, and all potential battles odds are calculated.

On the other hand, I've never been able to comfortably relate to wargames on a very large scale. Games like PB/PL, if I remember correctly, had about a platoon to each counter. I am much more able to visualize and enjoy games on that level (like CC). But from what I've read I'm wondering if KP makes such a grand level game more appealing to a lower level grognard like me.

Silly question: do both KP & HTTR allow a game to be saved at any point?

Perp

Miller Logan -> RE: HTTR or KP---Which 1 to choose??? (2/7/2004 11:36:42 PM)

Save anytime, yes in both games. I understand your concerns about scale. The closest boardgame comparison I can think of to KP is the old SPI "Battles in the Ardennes" series. But please note that two very good user made scenarios for KP: "Kreta", and "Trouble in Bastogne" are company level games. You can check these out at the Run5 site

http://run5.wargamer.com/

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI