Kreta (Crete) Scenario (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

coach3play4 -> Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/8/2004 9:06:51 PM)

Thanks to SSG for the "Kreta" scenario. Its well done and free! A few comments.
SSG has always done a great job on british failure scenarios. In Run5 it was always interesting to read their rants against the Brit failures in military leadership when it came to using Aussie or NZ troops, and on various games including galipoli, the old Singapore/malaya campaign on old Crete now this Korsun system implementation.
This game pretty much captures the essence of the situation. The Brit commander thought that Crete was to be invaded by air and sea, and thus kept back troops from the initial airdrop to protect Canea. So in a close run affair, the germans droped and glided around maleme, took the key hill (107) defended it and in what amounted to pretty much suicide missions crash landed into the airfield and took it, thus allowing for enough build up to eventual move east and capture the rest of the island, but many Brit troops were sealifted out. The campaign pretty much destroyed the german paratroop experience. From the allied side, many think the battle could have been won, since the allied outnumbered the Germans.

The AI of the allied played this out well. It didnt contest the airfield, and kept too many troops fighting the more sporatic landings elsewhere, and defending the harbor. This would be a great test of two equal players - if the allied side went all out to move troops west to contest the airfield and hill.

recommend all to get this scenario.

Fred98 -> RE: Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/9/2004 2:46:29 AM)

Actually it was done by Brubaker.

The next edition of the game will have a much more friendly editor and we can all make scenarios, instead of leaving the task to the smart ones :)

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/9/2004 10:24:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oleary111

Thanks to SSG for the "Kreta" scenario. Its well done and free! A few comments.
SSG has always done a great job on british failure scenarios. In Run5 it was always interesting to read their rants against the Brit failures in military leadership when it came to using Aussie or NZ troops, and on various games including galipoli, the old Singapore/malaya campaign on old Crete now this Korsun system implementation.

recommend all to get this scenario.

Actually, we deserve the credit for Kreta in the same way that a senior academic does for work actually done by his research assistant, i.e. not at all. Brubaker did all the hard work, doubtless assisted by the scenario creation fraternity on the Run 5 website.

Also, we never rant about British military matters, we make mature and considered judgements!

Gregor

coach3play4 -> RE: Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/10/2004 6:49:37 AM)

OK rant wasnt what i meant - I remember a Run 5 maybe 10 years ago where SSG wrote a great analysis of the British mindset in the malaya/singapore campaign. I hope someone takes that scenario on with this "Korsun" updated system.

Rob Gjessing -> RE: Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/11/2004 11:29:50 AM)

There are many of the old SSG "Run5" scenarios which could be ported to KP..

Fred98 -> RE: Kreta (Crete) Scenario (2/11/2004 11:43:44 AM)

The Malaya one would be excellent. I remember that one but I don't have the magazine

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI