Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

[Poll]

Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW

Western Europe 1936-45
  33% (26)
Eastern Europe 1939-45
  42% (33)
Pacific 1937-45
  12% (10)
North Africa/Italy 1931-45
  10% (8)

Total Votes : 77
(last vote on : 6/28/2004 7:24:59 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

KG Erwin -> Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 3:35:00 AM)

Just for fun, I want to know what the gamers favorite SPWaW Theater of War is. Straight off, I'll tell you that mine is the Pacific war, USMC vs Japanese 1941-45. You only have a choice of one. These theaters are inclusive of all conflicts fought within that geographical area--Western Europe includes the Spanish Civil war;Eastern Europe includes the Polish campaign/Balkans/Partisans; the Pacific also includes the China/Burma/ India theater.

KG Erwin -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 3:40:24 AM)

As a prediction, I think Eastern Europe will win hands down. Anyone want to prove me wrong? [:D]

STEELER13 -> NOT A FAIR POLL (2/14/2004 3:46:12 AM)

Yo KG,
I love TANK battles, and by that I mean tank vs tank. That means east front, north africa, west front(1940-45), Korea, and the Arab-Israeli Wars, and India-Pakistan(haven't seen this added, yet).
Because the majority of tank battles are EF or North Africa and I had to choose, I took East Front. By the way, this is a STEEL PANTHERS forum, so I imagine that means I am not too original in my choices on my forum. I mean you don't see too many arguments about the P-47 vs the Stuka vs the Sturmovik here...:-)

Jim1954 -> RE: NOT A FAIR POLL (2/14/2004 4:15:08 AM)

I took East Front also. Just something about it that the others don't quite have.

KG Erwin -> RE: NOT A FAIR POLL (2/14/2004 5:07:29 AM)

Now, Steeler, if you love tank battles, how could you NOT vote for North Africa? This was like dreadnoughts fighting on the high seas. However, I see no glory in armored land-battleships fighting at a distance. Too much like sea warfare.
I love infantry battles--I worked with Stuart & Bryan on getting it right for the Pacific-area combatants. To my mind, SPWaW is just as dramatic and effective in portraying desperate grunt-level rifle-machine-gun and hand -to-hand combat.
However, this is the beauty of this tactical-game system--all forms of land combat in WWII can be represented. To each his own. Just look at my Marine avatar. [sm=00000054.gif]

Goblin -> RE: NOT A FAIR POLL (2/14/2004 7:27:56 AM)

I have got one in the works for you, KG...

[:)]

Goblin

Igor -> RE: NOT A FAIR POLL (2/14/2004 8:48:17 AM)

My favorite is China, 1930-1949; but of the above Eastern Front.

Major_Mess -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 10:12:04 AM)

Something about jungle combat. Very nasty business.

Mess

El_Peco -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 11:24:27 AM)

I say Eastern Europe.
Above all Stalingrad battle!

robot -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 5:36:56 PM)

I believe the only reason east or europe is winning is this. To win is the only thing not the fight. So why not take the theatre where you get the big tanks. Now if you like it down and dirty in your face like i do. Then the only war is the pacific.[:@][:@][:@]

Goblin -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 5:51:38 PM)

Lol, robot. Remember though, when you have tanks, its because you are facing tanks...

I voted for Western Europe. Nothing like D-Day or The Bulge for some awesome combat. But I like 'em ALL! That should have been option #5!

Goblin

robot -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 5:59:27 PM)

Way to go goblin. Actually i do too. Just wanted to get a dig in at the kat lovers. Thats why i have long campaigns going all over the place. This includes Germany east and west, Japan west and pacific. Russia and british also. And last but not least USA europe and pacific. [8D]

John David -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 6:10:03 PM)

I agree,... should be a 5th choice for all of 'em!

One of the great things about the MC's is that with the release of Screaming Eagles, we now have ops in all of the different theaters of the war, Watchtower in the Pacific, LV in the East, DF in the Desert and Eagles in the Western theatre.

Great game, aint it!![:)]

JD

Goblin -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 6:11:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot
Just wanted to get a dig in at the kat lovers.

[:@]

[;)]

Goblin

Matt R -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 8:58:03 PM)

I submitted my vote, and East and West Fronts are now tied. We might have to flip a coin [:D]

Thanks,
Matt.

IBTyrone -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 9:05:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt R

I submitted my vote, and East and West Fronts are now tied. We might have to flip a coin [:D]

Thanks,
Matt.

I think I was the guilty party there (tying it at 10 apiece). My affinity for the Western Front dates back to when I was a kid and my brother and I would play with the counters from AH's Panzer Leader.

hogg -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 10:47:38 PM)

I am sorry, but it has to be western europe.

How can you not like cavalry -v- Panzer 1's, or the 1939 French Armoured divisions?

Not to mention British amphibious assaults in the scheldt estuary, late war?

KG Erwin -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 11:32:57 PM)

Wow, guys, these results surprise me. I really thought that the Eastern Front would be the by-far favorite, but it's a close run. Well, I was wrong, then. [:o]
Of course, this also tells me that choosing the Screaming Eagles for the latest Mega-Campaign was a correct decision, in terms of appealing to the widest gaming audience.
Of course, since I was part of the MCSE design team, I can take some pride in that. [;)]

hogg -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/14/2004 11:43:45 PM)

You certainly can!

But how about a western europe, start of war to Dunkirk campaign?

Lots of unusual units, lots of different countries, airborne drops, river crossings, cavalry, etcetcetc.

The list is almost endless!

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/15/2004 12:03:40 AM)

I chose Pacific.

Ok the desert is a bit to easy due to it being a bit to cliche. Just as Eastern front is.

I have gamed out the desert and the Eastern front all to hell in the past decades as a wargamer.
The Western front is about the same.

The Pacific is largely not over done for me, it is still newish. I have read a lot and watched a lot for the Pacific, but not really gamed a lot.
The Watchtower MC is still for me one of the more interesting experiences for that same reason.

Not to many tank battles per se in The Pacific, but even with a name like Steel Panthers, I don't play it just for the tanks.

stevemk1a -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/15/2004 7:27:56 AM)

One of the big attractions of Spwaw for me is its comprehensiveness. If I get tired of GER vs US '44 or GER vs USSR '42, I can play a Spanish Civil war game, or a Japan vs USSR battle either in '39 or '45! Literally anything in the WWII time frame (in a broad sense) is possible. Every theatre of war holds some interest for me. My fave is whatever I'm interested in at any given time [:D]

RockinHarry -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/16/2004 10:22:18 PM)

Not intereseted much in the desert, nor pacific. Terrain is also more varied in eastern/western europe and ya know,..I´m a terrain freak![:D]

Gvaihir -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/17/2004 12:12:28 PM)

Eastern Europe! is my favorite but I'm not scaggy of fighting a battle in the desert or the pacific.

Gvaihir

Paddington -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/18/2004 7:45:19 PM)

I like the eastern front more because the countries have such a different philosophy.

Muzrub -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/19/2004 8:29:17 AM)

Eastern front all the way.......

Its big, bloody and easy to loose yourself in for a few hours.

dlazov -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/19/2004 5:49:59 PM)

I picked the Eastern Front for two reasons:

Stalingrad and Kursk

I would then pick North Afrika for two reasons:

El Alaimein and Torbruk

Then I would pick the Western Front for two reasons:

D-Day and the Bulge

And then I would pick the Pacific for two reasons:

Tarawa and Okanwa (sp)

JJKettunen -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/20/2004 12:48:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dlazov
Okanwa (sp)

Wha? [&:]

Wild Bill -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/20/2004 12:58:18 AM)

I'm not surprised at these stats. They show simply where the interest lies. I've never been quite sure of the appeal of the Eastern Front to players in the west unless it is just that. But then the enormity of it, coupled with some of the largest tank battles in history are enough to catch anyone's attention.

Myine is the Pacific. Again, I'm not sure why.One thing I do know, the Far East and the Pacific are NOT a series of the same battles over and over again. Each island was different with different obstacles and different objectives in reaching the main one, VJ Day.

I really love 'em all, but my predilection witll always be the Pacific.

Wild Bill

JJKettunen -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/20/2004 1:16:58 AM)

Btw, I voted for the Eastern Front, and no explanations needed, hehe.

And I guess dlazov ment Okinawa with funny spelling. [;)]

KG Erwin -> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW (2/20/2004 1:18:11 AM)

It wasn't until I started playing SPWaW that I really gained an appreciation for the ground-pounders. Oddly enough, a game that is geared for mechanized warfare encouraged me to take a fresh look at the infantry.
To my mind, the ultimate in infantry combat is the desparate battles of the Pacific Theater--I've gained much respect for not only the US Marines, but the US Army units, the ANZACs, the Brits, the Filipinos, the Chinese and the Russians who fought & died in widely-varying terrain and conditions during a war which actually began in 1931 and lasted for months more after Germany was defeated in Europe.
Arguably, you could say that the Pacific was an active theater of war for much of the twentieth century, starting from the Spanish-American War & Philippine Insurrection until Vietnam.
That being said, this theater also offers much more for possibilities in SPWaW scenario & campaign design.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI