What the hell? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Fallschirmjager -> What the hell? (2/22/2004 7:18:09 AM)

We just lost the last two days of the forum database? [&:]

Creepy....

Sleeping_Dragon -> RE: What the hell? (2/22/2004 7:22:07 AM)

Grrrr....[sm=00000023.gif] It's Groundhog Day all over agian.

harlekwin -> RE: What the hell? (2/22/2004 7:55:23 AM)

well.....

"it just feels right"

Shaun Wallace -> RE: What the hell? (2/22/2004 1:44:03 PM)

Hi Guys,

Will check into it and gte back to you. We did have some network probs last night, but this should not have affected the forums.

Shaun

Firefly -> RE: What the hell? (2/22/2004 5:57:58 PM)

There I was thinking my last post had been deleted because I'd offended someone and it looks like it's due a forum software problem. I must try harder [:D] .

MarkFroio -> RE: What the hell? (2/22/2004 6:28:24 PM)

I was wondering the same thing myself.

wodin -> RE: What the hell? (2/23/2004 1:25:37 AM)

Lost about three posts myself[&:]

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: What the hell? (2/23/2004 1:41:14 AM)

As I mentioned over at SPWaW Depot, I think I have been saddened once to often to witness a lot of good forum traffic go up in smoke.

The forums have collectively been plagued with an assortment of every trouble possible it seems.

Early beta software, or evolving software, or the hack, or just random forum interruption of availability.

When I joined, the place was just Steel Panthers, and as such was a lot smaller, and I guess a lot easier to keep an eye on.
Today, the forums seem to have grown bigger than it appears can be readily maintained. That might be grossly off target, but I am just expressing my opinion of what I have been seeing.

For what seems 2 or more years now, all I have ever really wanted was Combat Leader to take over the position occupied by Steel Panthers in my life.
I even bought an upgrade to video card in anticipation to playing it. I never upgrade just to play games basically.

Today, Matrix Games is a name connected to many endeavours, some big, some small. Some a major success, and some perhaps a bridge to far.

In the final analysis, I have already got too many wargames to play. That goes for board games as well as computer games.
I have seen that some designs look incredible, while others merely look like a modern looking version of more of the same.

But how many wargames does a wargamer need, before they have the ability to realistically wargame out everything they could care about?

I am likely going to be dropping back, and considering my own situation, and maybe start concentrating on small site forums that are more specific game focused. And potentially more managable as such.

Going to cut and past this post too I think. It is getting wearisome saying things, and then next week finding out its all lost.

David Heath -> Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/23/2004 9:05:52 AM)

Hi Guys

After last month issues we went and spent a lot of money on some larger backups servers and Firewall hardware. To make sure we have more then one backup incase there is a problem. Well even with the best plans things sometimes just go wrong. We installed our new top of the line backup devices we ran into a glitch that was not part of our plan. The end result was we lost a few hours of posts. The problem been fully corrected and all is working fine now. We are very sorry for few lost posts God willing all should go as planned now.

David

rbrunsman -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/23/2004 10:57:28 PM)

Are we ever going to get back to a "fast" website? I'm still plagued by slow page loading.

David Heath -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 3:11:10 AM)

Are you kidding. This site never ran faster. We even adding new web servers to the network. Matrix is on it own PC just handling web operations and another just for the forums.

David

Rune Iversen -> RE: What the hell? (2/24/2004 3:14:09 AM)

Why canīt I upload GIF images to the server? Every time I try I get HTTP 500 internal server error.

harlekwin -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 3:43:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Are you kidding. This site never run faster. We even adding new web servers to the network. Matrix is on it own PC just handling web operations and another just for the forums.

David

David she zooms for me, but a lot of people have noticed a slowdown.

I thank you for the hardware and space.

Shaun Wallace -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 3:52:48 AM)

quote:

Why canīt I upload GIF images to the server? Every time I try I get HTTP 500 internal server error.

Hi Guys,

The forums are set to handle gif files, I will check into this and get back to you.

Shaun

Rune Iversen -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 3:56:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun Wallace

quote:

Hi Guys,

The forums are set to handle gif files, I will check into this and get back to you.

Shaun

Thank you very much.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 4:32:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun Wallace

quote:

Hi Guys,

Shaun

How about zips while your at it?

And can you give us over 300k?
Something like 5 mb would be nice to post PBEM files

Marc von Martial -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 1:54:57 PM)

Something like 5 mb? I failed to notice the forum is a PBEM tool [;)].

Rune Iversen -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 4:43:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Something like 5 mb? I failed to notice the forum is a PBEM tool [;)].

Come on over to AOW and root for me when I throw the soviets out of Germany[:D]

Fred98 -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/24/2004 11:03:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Are you kidding. This site never ran faster.
David

It runs slow for me too. Its that evil sticky header. NOT HAPPY, David!

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/25/2004 12:11:08 AM)

Conditions may vary.

I find, if the forums come up for me at all, then they run just fine.

I occasionally find that some times of day impact my forum wandering experiences, but then that seems to occur with any forums I frequent, so has nothing specifically to due with Matrix Games in and of itself.

Belisarius -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/25/2004 12:28:33 AM)

I guess I can't really have a say regarding speed of the forum since it has always been running smoothly for me for whatever reason. [&:]

Anyway, it's slightly faster now. Except one thing: editing a post *requires* a reload of the page for me to see it displayed.

rbrunsman -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/25/2004 6:10:29 PM)

Well, it runs slow for me and I have the most up-to-date IE version and a cable internet connection. My loss I guess.

Veldor -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/25/2004 10:47:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

Well, it runs slow for me and I have the most up-to-date IE version and a cable internet connection. My loss I guess.

Do a traceroute to this webserver and see how many hops you go through and the latency of each.

You can have all the bandwidth to your ISP in the world but if your ISP doesn't have a big enough pipe to it's ISP then it won't help. And if your ISP's ISP has an ISP then your still pretty much screwed. That's generally the difference between $30 a month and $60 a month. This is why companies use Qwest and sit pretty much directly on the internet backbone. Looking at bandwidth as your only measure of performance is like thinking your pc is fast just cuz it has a 3gig processor. Its only one factor of many and in many cases not even close to the most important one.

Also you can be lightning fast to other sites but still slow to another set. Most likely thats because the fast ones are all on the same major ISP backbone as you(say MCI) and the others are not.

Traceroutes will show you all of that.

I use a variety of different methods to access this site (Cable, DSL, T1, etc.) and I have never had a problem even before with performance and certainly not now.

Years ago I played Ultima Online and found that I got worse performance to a "physically" local server 60 miles from my house(Chicago area) than I did to a different game server located on the east coast. Doing a traceroute showed me that between my internet connection and the local server, I was actually going through the MAE-EAST hub out east and then back. By connecting to an east coast server I was of course just going to MAE-EAST and then only one more hop so about half the distance. This would not necessarily have been true had I had a different ISP nor did such a fact necessarily represent any problem with my ISP or their servers.

Seems like an odd thing but that is how the internet currently works.

madflava13 -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/26/2004 12:42:17 AM)

Never had a problem with speed, and my computer and connection suck. Stupid Verizon. Worst Company... Ever.

LarkinVB -> RE: Nothing to do with Hell, Just software. (2/26/2004 11:01:26 AM)

New forum is definatly faster for me here in germany.

joki -> RE: What the hell? (2/27/2004 11:10:12 AM)

Les -
It would be a loss to the forum if you guys, who has been around for a long time and has a lot of experience of the game, consider to leave !![:(]
Hopefully Matrix staff is doing all there is to improve the forum software and hardware. I am working with servers and know how bad it feels when it turns out that the backup system that you thought were working didnīt and lots of data has been lost.

Jonas

joki -> RE: What the hell? (2/27/2004 11:11:43 AM)

Oh by the way. For me it feels that the forum has become faster.

Jonas

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI