RE: Good to see you all. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Tombstone -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 11:54:16 PM)

When you know the rules of a game system in and out and have TONS (this is not an overexaggeration with this crew) of experience playing the game it's hard for it to be a challenge. AI behavior, no matter how complex, will eventually become clear to the player. A game like SPWAW is mostly tactical, so once you can eliminate the AI's surprise factor it becomes a straightforward game of mathematics. Playing scenarios built to surprise the player the first time is a way to mitigate this. The other big one is getting a new game system to chew on. I'm really excited about CL and Battlefields! (Not saying that I'm tired of SPWAW, I haven't played much of anything lately.)

Tomo

rich12545 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/26/2004 12:12:06 AM)

Playing scenarios built to surprise the player the first time is a way to mitigate this

Yeah, my favorite with spwaw is a meeting battle, let the computer choose all units and all deploy. You never know what will happen. I'm currently playing the Marines against the IJN. The Japs had several light tanks! What a surprise. I had three bazookas and originally thought what a waste of assets. And a random battle provides unlimited entertainment. [:D]

Tombstone -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/26/2004 1:48:24 AM)

One off campaigns are probably the ultimate expression of this, since you control deployment and force composition. It's not a whole lot harder to make both when you make a scenario.

Tomo

rich12545 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/26/2004 3:09:01 AM)

One off campaigns are probably

Hi, I don't know if this is a typo but I don't understand what you're saying. Anyway, the thing I like about the computer picking forces and deploying is the unpredictability. You never know what you're going to get or how the scenario will go. It's nice to do once in a while.

Tombstone -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/26/2004 11:15:16 PM)

When a good designer makes a scenario it is way better than a random battle. The first time you play, it is not much different from a random battle except that a human has set up some of the larger AI moves that are going to happen. If you play a one-off campaign (which takes a single scenario and makes it a one mission campaign where you buy forces and deploy them yourself) you get a very unpredictable and interesting experience.

Tomo

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 1:04:07 AM)

Hey Klink glad to hear you rekindled yer lov for the ASL game hehe.

Hey did you ever get a peek at the article I wrote for it at Warfare HQ. It kinda surprised me when I was awarded scond place in the contest heheh. More than I expected :)

At any rate, Warfare HQ has a splendid ASL forum, and we have the ear of Keith Dalton in there so we get a good linkage to MMP through him.

He is also inside this other ASL forum as well.

Here's the links.

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
http://www.asl-forums.net/main/

Likely other ASL spots out there, but I have not found anywhere better.

rich12545 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 1:18:22 AM)

I see what you mean by one-off.
Yeah, that can be nice. One good thing about spwaw is there is the variety in how you can play and they're all interesting.

KG Erwin -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 2:18:25 AM)

Yes, absolutely. Ultimate variety. But, I still am addicted to the long campaigns, especially as the USMC. The immersion level is increased by using Arne Rossmanith's "Campaign Watcher" program. I love watching my 1942 green-horns turn into armed-to-the-teeth professional demolitions experts as the years go by. The best part is, this is what actually happened, and I'm right there with them.
I even use the names of real-life WWII Marine commanders, replacing the generic ones using the Chlanda editor. In this way, the game becomes more of a role-playing fantasy experience in a historical background. Now, I don't think I'd go so far as to dress in herringbone twill and sling a replica Thompson over my shoulder while I'm playing, but you get the idea. At SPWaW Depot, my forum name is Gunny Erwin. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with KG Erwin here, but you guys can call me Gunny if you want. [sm=00000054.gif]

Wild Bill -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 9:48:39 AM)

I too favor historical scenarios, though I'm not above trying a random battle every now and then. Yes, that variety is good for the gaming soul!

WB

robot -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 3:32:52 PM)

KG You should have saw me when i flew the Red Baron. I had a throttle controller and joy stick with foot controls for the rudders. I had a WWI flying helmet with goggles. Wrapped around my neck was a white scarf and on my hands was an old pair of flying gloves. My wife said when she saw me at the controls and flying i was in another world. Man the good times we had when i got back from a successful mission. But i digress that was near 20 yrs ago i think. Wow i was really young then and i loved the women. [:D][:D] [:D]

Rune Iversen -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/27/2004 8:42:57 PM)

I like the Commonwealth.

BruceAZ -> RE: Where are the old guards? (3/4/2004 4:02:38 AM)

Hi Klink:

No revolt - just time flies when you are having fun! Friend showed me the forum in late 1999 as have been playing SP games for sometime. Decided to join the forum in 2000 and been having fun since.

Don't get on the forum that often so I will never have 5,000 posts - my wife would kill me! [:D] (I think that is why Wild Bill has/had 27 wives...[sm=00000436.gif]

Recon
Semper Fi

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI