Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support

DJAndrews -> Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (3/1/2004 5:46:02 PM)

I just ran into a problem, which while of limited importance here, might be of greater concern if it is carried forward in the code for WITP. Playing as the Allies I just captured Rabaul. The base had 218 aircraft and 7 badly damaged Japanese ships present at the time of capture. The planes showed up as being destroyed on the ground but the ships just disappeared. I'm not sure whether points were awarded when the base fell, but no ships were shown on the intelligence screen as being sunk, so I expect not.

Switching to H-to-H mode, I found that all 7 ships had been returned to Japan. They had been repaired and were listed as available. Since they were all DDs, APDs and MSWs and its relatively unimportant gamewise. However, had it happened elsewhere and it was a crippled BB or CV that was captured, it would be quite aggravating.

It occurs to me that this could be a bigger problem in WITP if a similar thing happens with Allied ships captured in the initial Japanese sweep of the SRA.

rogueusmc -> RE: Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (3/1/2004 11:17:56 PM)

That would suck!!!
I have never come across this occurence myself but it would be a pisser.

Lee

McDuck -> RE: Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (3/28/2004 7:40:34 PM)

Hello DJ , After reading your post i went and checked on a game i'm playing against the ai . It's Scenario 17 and is Oct 43 so the game is well won for the allies . I fire it up every so often to practice amphib invasions . I seem to do a poor job of them even without any japanese interference . Rabaul finally fell after months of airstrikes and landing all the Marines and Aussies my fleets could carry . Two ships were holed up in Rabaul's harbour - Yamashiro and Hibiki . Both with major sys and floatation damage - i know - i checked . The turn after Rabaul fell - both were back in Japan good as new ! In a game against the ai that's fine as i'll get to take a few more shots at them if they come back but in a close pbem this would be a real problem . Although if the allies capture Rabaul i sort of doubt it's close anymore but you never know . Like yourself i sure hope this isn't something that carries over into WITP . Regards ... HMcS

Ol_Dog -> RE: Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (3/28/2004 7:54:18 PM)

I believe in WITP there is not "Tokyo" to "return" ships to be repaired. If you want them repaired in Tokyo, then have them sail to Tokyo with what damage and flooding they have. But if they have, as example, 60 sys damage and 60 flooding, they may sink on the trip. Or when they finally get to Tokyo, they may have 80 flooding damage and take even longer to repair.

Likewise, supplies from Tokyo do not just "appear" at Truk.

McDuck -> RE: Captured Base, Ships Returned to Enemy (3/28/2004 11:19:52 PM)

Hello Ol_Dog , What i believe DJAndrews and i saw was that hopelessly damaged ships , which were in port at Rabaul when it fell , were transported back to Japan , had all their damage was repaired , and were available for re-release to the theatre the very next day . In my case the Yamashiro had 99 sys damage and 89 floatation damage , Hibiki had 80 sys and 49 floatation damage and the day after the allies captured Rabaul they were both back in Tokyo and available for immediate release - ie - no damage . So what's happening here is a little outside of damaged ships being returned to Pearl or Tokyo . Esp when ships need to be at Truk or Noumea for that option to be available . This is the only instance i've seen of this happening , but then this is the only time i've captured a major base that had damaged ships in port . No idea if it would happen at lesser bases or if this would also occur with damaged allied ships . Has anyone else seen this ? I'd imagine it would be pretty rare as few players would leave a damaged ship in port at a bases that's about to be captured . Regards ... HMcS

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI