Favourite epic historical works (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

bradmbrown -> Favourite epic historical works (9/11/2001 2:07:00 PM)

I mean sweeping, lofty, scholarly looks at history or great historical events.
No, NOT
"The History of Candle Making"
or
"The Complete History Of Michael Jackson" I mean works by people like Plato and Bacon, HG Wells, Toynbee...

alassi -> (9/11/2001 7:04:00 PM)

Bacon taste good!!!

troopie -> (9/11/2001 7:37:00 PM)

Herodotos: 'The Histories' The speech of the Athenians before Plataia is one of the best things in it. troopie

m10bob -> (9/13/2001 5:47:00 AM)

Henry V..Shakespeare..the speech @ Agincourt......

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (9/13/2001 6:48:00 PM)

Art of War by Sun Zi (thats the way it was spelled last time I saw it at least). Never has a person so completely understood the nature of conflict. It doesnt even have to be violent conflict. The words apply equally well to business, or winning an arguement with your spouse.

kurtbj -> (9/13/2001 9:52:00 PM)

'Journey to the West', translated from original Chinese by Anthony C'Hu. Amazing book.

halstein -> (9/14/2001 6:39:00 AM)

Ammianus Marcellinus's "De re Gesta". Don't know the English title, but this is his only known work. Deals with the history of the Roman Empire in the 25 years leading up to their defeat at Adrianople in 378.

Drex -> (9/14/2001 9:59:00 AM)

How about Caesar's "Gallic Wars",Runciman's Crusades trilogy,Mahan's "Influence of Sea Power",Tactitus' "Histories",Liddell-Hart's "Strategy",Foote's Civil War trilogy,Jomini's "Art of War" and may I nominate Dupuy's "Numbers,Predictions and War" and "Understanding War".

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI