Intro, reflections, and concerns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

mine_field -> Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 12:09:36 AM)

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. If you forgive the length, I would like to say hello, post my initial reflections on the game, and mention some concerns with hope of getting some insight as to why the game mechanics are so.

You can call me Kirk or use my handle. I won't bother with anything too personal. Just wanted to poke my head into the forum. For background purposes, I have version 8.0. I have only played against the AI so far, on about 15 scenarios and the greater portion of a campaign (Long Road to Victory I believe) and completed the Tulagi campaign. C&C is off.

Reflections> I first picked up the game about a year ago. I found the learning curve too steep and quit out of frustration. I especially didn't like having something like twice the victory points and it being called a 'draw'. I now understand the victory naming system. I picked up the game again several weeks ago and I'm doing much better. I still think the game has a very steep learning curve. Many of the scenarios and some of the campaign battles seem rushed. I often find myself resorting to suicidal runs to the last objective hex with a half track. In the campaign, I don't see how anything other than a mechanized army could cover enough ground. Infantry movement just doesn't permit enough ground to be covered (my complaint is with length, not infantry speed). I find myself going into concerns so I'll do that formally.

Concerns>
I) The little details > I believe I have the latest version, so I can only imagine that my following statements are not unique to just me. When browsing through the scenarios, I often find important information lacking like game length. I noticed via the forum someone has done work to improve this, and I'll do a follow up post to see if he can email me the changes. Also, I noticed some of the scenarios have no text whatsoever, i.e. 066 Bushmasters(WBW) and 067 Cut Off! (WBW). I imagine such a consistent and respected designer intended for text to be present. Also, I started playing one campaign (Preparing the way) and restarted with a new campaign (Long Road to Victory) and they were the same maps! Only difference seemed to be the build points. Also while playing the campaign, there is often no lead in to the next map. How do I prepare my forces for an unknown mission? I usually just do a dry run to see what map is ahead of me and whether I'm assaulting, advancing, defending, etc. I think it not too unreasonable to know how one's forces are going to be deployed before having to make choices as to how to repair and augment the combat group.

II) Learning Curve > The game certainly can be tough for someone not familiar with these games already. Without any indications of whether the scenario is hard or easy, I often found myself trying to figure out how I was supposed to uproot the dug in enemy infantry, only to have unit after unit cut up. Also, it would be nice to know a bit more about the units. The unit descriptions are a great addition to the game (in the encyclopedia). However, these are often lacking on a lot of units, and I know this is something the designers have mentioned they would like to complete. Another thought would to have some way to know what a unit is on the battlefield. I only recently learned how to read the German abbreviations (PzKpw, etc.) and had to somewhat guess the unit's role by its picture. Maybe a way to directly link to the unit's entry in the encyclopedia from the battlefield. If the unit just had a more descriptive class or role such as ‘Tank Destroyer’ or ‘Medium Battle Tank’ when I right click on it, I would have some idea of what I was dealing with.

III) Assault > Certainly a very needed part of the game, I find issues with the mechanics. I have noticed similar complaints in the forums. Firstly, the lone sniper assaulting a moving tank is the height of crazy. I understand armor is vulnerable to infantry attacks, but I doubt a fast moving armored fighting vehicle has much to worry from a sniper beside the road. The percentages for success seem to be off in many cases. As many have noticed, a sniper can have 20% success rate with a moving AFV while an engineer with satchel charges and flamethrower can only have the base percentage (number of men * 1%). Engineers seem to have no inherent advantages in assaulting emplacements. Sometimes the percentages don’t take into account the flamethrower or satchel (fails to state that the assault is using it and percentage is way too low). I get frustrated with having two tanks, 5-6 engineers, and maybe a crewman all pounding on the back door of a AT Pillbox (10-15 assaults with some selected weapon fire ‘c key’) only to end with 7 pinned infantry units and two exhausted tanks. Surely after two rounds of surrounding the rear of an emplacement, that many engineers would just cover it up with dirt or something. As others have stated, it seems best just to smoke and bypass these pesky emplacements. My suggestion: take into account some more variables. Infantry should have low chance of assaulting a fast moving vehicle. Infantry should have a good chance of assaulting a stationary emplacement that they have been working on for 2 turns.

IV) Artillery > It seems to me that artillery's role in this game is mostly suppression. I have only seen 2-3 AFV's ever hit by artillery. Infantry certainly can be killed, but you need large ordnance to have any chance. I have seen the ~80 mm's kill a total of 2-3 over the course of my experience, while 105's are a bit better, and 155's / 8" have killed up to 10 men in one blast. According to a documentary I recently saw, "Hell's Battlefield" the 105's were actually very useful in taking out armor. Perhaps this was direct fire with the Priest's in a Tank Destroyer role, and not the indirect fire I have been attempting. I remember one example in game, where two PzKpw IV's were sitting facing the opposite direction at the beginning of the scenario (covering an assault route I choose not to use) so I placed a FO so it had LOS of both of them. He called in two priest's on each of them. No hits whatsoever. This was at a range for the priests of about 7 hexes. As I said, the tanks were close enough in that I was able to deploy within LOS. I have adapted my tactics so that I don't bother with trying to get LOS or killing anything with armor, and I just drop heavy rounds to suppress units and kill infantry. I imagine the 60 mm mortars are good for smoke and pinning the enemy, but I wonder how many kills they really get. I have heard it stated that 50% or so of actual battle casualties were due to artillery / explosive attacks.

V) Path finding > More than once I have cursed at my computer upon seeing a halftrack choose the dumbest route possible, only to get predictably blown up. I am having to learn great patience to just move units one hex at a time. The game should have some way to display what route a unit will take before you move it (a line drawn through the hexes for example -- notice I am playing with C&C off). There should be some intelligence in the path finding, so that the vehicle hesitates before driving straight into a swamp or taking the same route that just last turn proved to be the demise of another half track. I remember one example where I was trying to take out 3 PzKpw IV h's that were placed at the top border of the map (how lame right). I had units stacked up on the top row of hexes advancing slowly trying to remove the threat. In moving more units up, the halftrack saw the traffic jam and decided it was best to take a route that went down two hexes to a road and then back up two hexes to get to a hex that originally was only 3 hexes to the right. When it dipped down it was quickly blown up. Some way of seeing the predicted move path would also avoid mis-clicks. One wouldn't accidentally move a unit when trying to select another unit if the predicted driving line were removed when a valid unit was hovered over with the mouse. The cancel move feature is useful, but it is disabled if you do any small action such as left-clicking to check the LOS of the unit (not quite sure about this one). I understand these troops are taught to follow orders, but one would think they would ask, "Hey Sarge, you sure you want me to take my 0 armor jeep in front of that 75 mm Pak gun?" You could then say, "Yes, You deserve to die." The game mechanics could be more like a ctrl click to force a hazardous move (one that is greatly more hazardous than a similar route that takes just a few more movement points).

VI) Design / Design rules > While playing this 'Long Road to Victory', I have developed an inhuman fear of units appearing out of thin air. I understand the value of reinforcement, but it shouldn't be the same as infiltration. I was on one map where three Germany Reinforcement hexes were well inside my victory frontage (the green line). What is that there for? I thought it meant I didn't have to worry about hordes of PzKpw's and half tracks appearing in the very next hex as my ammo dump and encircling artillery (not a big worry since not playing human players). IMHO, reinforcement should have some rules. First of all, it is ridiculous for enemy units to appear behind the front of the battle and inside the guards at the rear to strike at the soft pieces sitting there for support. Also, any reinforcements that are adjacent to existing units is unreasonable. To be in fear of having a tank spawn right behind your Wolverines, who could have easily eaten up the armor if seen at a distance, is just not accurate. If reinforcement is going to occur within LOS, or by some arbitrary distance say 5 hexes, there should be some check by the other player to attempt to stave off this new threat. Maybe the pieces should show up on the map with no available shots to simulate the 'defensive' advantage of enemy units already being there. One last concern, why is it possible to use build points on any nationality? In campaign mode, it looks possible to fight an assault on Germany completely with German units. I understand ‘what if scenarios’, but it shouldn’t be a temptation in a designer’s campaign to buy Japanese caves and arbitrarily use them to guard your forces or to buy a ship for that matter and stick it in a field. I know some valuable Allied units are stuck in off the wall nationality’s OOB, but some situations such as the Americans using hordes of German tanks in a D-Day invasion suggest a need to restrict which nations you can buy from.

Well forgive me for the long post. I would be interested to hear your comments. I am intelligent and know a bit about the game, but I am humble as well. I know most of the features and have perused the manual so please don't unreasonably attack my thoughts, but I do warmly welcome constructive criticism, support, or disapproval. Also if any of you could recommend similar ' I go, you go' war games, I would be glad to hear it because this is really my first foray into the genre.

mine_field -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 12:35:34 AM)

I knew I would think of one or two other things. These are more irritations than anything. I find the preferences screen delay times frustrating. I often would like short delays when I'm attacking infantry and in between artillery bursts, but long delays during the enemy's turn so I can see what is going on. Also, valuable damage reports about tank systems aren't really noticeable except in the pop up messages at the top of the screen. Perhaps have a seperate delay for attacks on infantry and armor, and seperate values for your turn and their turn.
The other thing, the text action window in the bottom right often is flooded during long actions, but it isn't possible to scroll that to see what occurred in the past. Maybe someone knows a trick around this. Is that text held in a file somewhere? It would be nice to know what just hit me if I forget to cut on the delays after a turn where I was attempting the long process of blowing up an emplacement.

Resisti -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 12:50:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mine_field
The other thing, the text action window in the bottom right often is flooded during long actions, but it isn't possible to scroll that to see what occurred in the past. Maybe someone knows a trick around this. Is that text held in a file somewhere? It would be nice to know what just hit me if I forget to cut on the delays after a turn where I was attempting the long process of blowing up an emplacement.

You can have all the combat info stored, if you wish: at the beginning of a battle(or whenever you remember to do it ;) ) hit the key combo ALT+L . you'll see a message saying "combat.txt log". Doing so, the combat info will be collected in this file, that can be opened at any time for reference; it's stored in the Spwaw main folder.

VikingNo2 -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 12:56:49 AM)

Hi and welcome aboard, you make a good point on the assaulting of a fast moving vehicle, the game has a hard time with speed its just hard to portray speed in a turn based game of this age. I know that doesn't help. On moving I normally move on hex at a time with vehicles once I am close to the enemy, I believe you can set waypoints but the function you mwntioned of showing the route probably will not be introduced in SPWAW but maybe CL you should go to the combat leader forum and sugest it.

I would sugest playing the tutorials there very good, I prefer playing PBEM, playing with humans teaches you fast and most player will discuss with you tatics and what units ae good for what.

Arty effectiveness is a aquired skill, tank kills by arty were actually rare in combat I believe however killing or suppressing the infantry that normally protect the tanks will run them off. Kill tank with arty is the exception rather than a norm.

I know this doesn't answer most of your question, but I just wanted to say welcome aboard, there are many way more knowlegable than me that will chime in I'm sure. Very good bunch here on the forums. If you ever want to try PBEM let me know ther is a new patch coming out soon with some OOB change and other things. [:D]

Voriax -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 1:01:26 AM)

Hello and Welcome

Here's a bunch of comments.

Well, the learning curve...some say the basics can be learned pretty fast, but to learn all the little details? As for rushed scenarios, you'd need to ask the designer :) There are so many designers around, some are better than others.

I) Knowing Wild Bill I'm pretty certain those scenarios had text files. What most likely happened is that as these scenarios were converted to 8.0 standard the text file was accidentally omitted. These scenarios are currently being reviewed and the titles and info texts are being 'standardized'. These will be released in the forthcoming patch.
Long road to Victory...if memory serves me this is an combination campaign...so preparing the way is just one small part of the Long road to Victory.
And if you run out of time it may exactly be what scenario designer planned. Not _all_ scenarios are winnable. In campaigns the designer often recommends a core force. You can choose differently but if motorized units are recommended it may be wise to follow the recommendation. But I agree that sometimes I've encountered some rather odd choices when placing objectives/choosing scenario length.

II) Sometimes the designers gives an opinion about toughness. But what is tough to one player may be easy to another. Rather subjective. The tutorial scenarios will return in the next patch so playing those will help. Te unit descriptions...I'd say the only way each unit will have one is that someone volunteers to do them..I'm sure it won't happen 'officially'

III)Hehe. Sorry, this is indeed a sore topic. And believe me, snipers aren't that bad anymore. The hit % goes up quite a lot if the unit being assaulted didn't spot the attacker. This is the way even a handgrenade armed infantry squad can get 30-40% assault odds against a tank, while it normally gets only the 'number of men %' And I agree that engineer units are a bit lame against pillboxes and other fortifications. Do nicely against tanks though.

IV) Here I suggest the 'preferences' list and 'arty vs soft' and 'arty vs armour' preferences. Up these and boy does the infantry die. Aircrafts will also became more deadly, afaik. Which is unfortunate imho. With arty and air you often get rather silly results..like a direct hit on top of a tank with a 500 kilo bomb...you hear a metallic 'clank' and that's it. No damage.

V) Again, it is much better these days. I recall times when hordes of AI controlled units crushed half a town when they for some reason couldn't find the roads! And that was when driving a tank into building was almost a sure way to immobilize that tank. I believe that your own units will always choose the least expensive path movement point wise. This will give you 'sidetrips' if there is a road nearby... But as no-one is really coding the game these days I'm afraid we are stuck with the way it is.

VI) Try selling these ideas to the designers :) Reinfocements occasionally come from funny directions..and as there are only 4 reinforcement hexes available there is no way of knowing where your units will be when the reinforcements arrive. Personally what irks me is when a tank column appears in the middle of the map..edge of the map..okay but beaming down at the middle of the field? Of course the info texts often give hints if a reinforcement column is expected.
But, battlefields are fluid and I have really no problems if a tank column appears from behind especially if it's a meeting engagement style battle. Would be a bit far fetched during an assault but...depends of the case. And I've often got great victories when I'd advanced faster than scenario designer thought...then the reinforcements pop out and suddedly *my* troops are blasting at densely packed troops. Kill one from such bunch and all get suppressed. Such instances are real turkey shoots.

And why not allow purchases from all nationalies? It's like many other things: Don't do it if you don't like it.
Why limit other player's choices if you don't happen to like a particular _optional and voluntary_ thing. I haven't met any American hordes using German tanks in D-Day...and if some _acenario_ has them, okay. I don't have to play it if I don't like it.

Voriax

mine_field -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/11/2004 5:20:51 AM)

Resisti,
Thanks for the tip about combat logging. I had seen the shortcut but didn't think twice about what it did.

VikingNo2,
Thanks for the welcome. I have found this forum so far to be very civil and rewarding. I guess it takes a certain mind to enjoy games in the SP niche. I'll keep you in mind for the PBEM.

Voriax,
Thanks for the lengthy, valuable, and well thought out post. You are correct about Long, Long, Long, Long Road to Victory. I wasn't aware of this until just a little bit ago, but I don't blame myself considering the campaigns don't have write ups ala the scenarios. Then again I'm still learning. Maybe there are some text files deep in the folder tree.
Thanks for addressing many of my concerns. I realize the world doesn't revolve around me, and I doubt anything major will change anytime soon. I just think it worthwhile to create such a wishlist in case development continues or another project feeds from SPWAW. With regards to reinforcement, I'm glad to see that it can irk others. But you are right about the turkey shoot. I just got finished taking out 4 PzKpw Vg's with only one return shot since I had the hill on T12/17. Two of them decided it best to travel forward and expose their flanks as opposed to staying where they were.
The all nationality purchases certainly is a subjective point. Your points are valid.

arethusa -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/24/2004 10:29:41 PM)

Welcome aboard mine_field.

With regards to the stupid movement that sometimes the units take, keep in mind that they will usually take the path of least resistance - with the programming, not in the real life representation of the map.

For a unit that goes off the road around a group of other units, keep in mind that the program makes allowances for other "traffic" on the road. For every unit that already occupies a hex, there is a slight movement cost for an additional unit to enter that hex, more if it is controlled by an enemy unit. Both these reflect situations in real life.

To get around this, you can move one hex at a time, as has already been suggested or you can also move the units in a specific order. Move out the units blocking the road first, before you move the next unit further down the road. Of course, this may not be what's required tactically. Only you can make that decision.

The other situation that was mentioned is where vehicular units keep crashing into buildings or swamps and becoming immobilized. That happens in two ways.

First, it could be the scenario designer's error in that there was originally something different on the map, a road for instance; but as the scenario developed, the obstacle was placed on top of where the road used to be. As I understand the programming, this doesn't always tell the program that the road isn't there anymore and so it follows the old path of where the road used to be. The designer should have made more complete changes to the map but of course, editing maps takes a lot of time and sometimes there are so many changes to make, that some just get forgotten.

The other problem is retreating. Frequently, units will just retreat directly toward a retreat hex regardless of what's in the way. If it's an obstacle that immobilizes them, too bad. Think of it as the abject terror of seeing death coming straight at you and just turning to run without even looking if there's a door behind you first. Somewhat understandable with a buttoned tank that has very limited visibility at the best of times but a little bit harder to understand with an open-topped jeep. Just something you have to live with I guess.

As far as the "stupid orders" directing a vehicle into a stupid area, I actually heard such an order given once in the army. I was in an artillery battery moving down a dirt road when an aircraft was heard approaching. Standing orders are to get off the road immediately because if it's an "enemy" plane, you're going to be spotted at the least and straffed or otherwise targetted at the worst.

Most of the vehicles got off the road with no problems but one deuce-and-a-half gun tractor didn't have anywhere else to go except down a steep embankment into a stream on one side of the road. Halfway down was a huge branch sticking horizontally out at about the height of the windshield. The driver balked at which point the officer in charge of those trucks ordered him down the embankment as fast as possible, despite protests about the danger. The driver did as ordered and then jumped out before the truck hit the branch. Needless to say, the officer got to ride back to base in the new 'convertible' truck once it was winched out of the stream.

It seemed like a stupid order in peacetime training, knowing that the truck could be wrecked by driving in the only direction left to it; but when you consider that hiding the entire convoy from reconnaissence as opposed to the enemy knowing where you are in actual battle conditions could mean the difference between losing one truck and losing an entire battery of 4 guns, a dozen support trucks, people and all the ammo traveling with them.

MOTHER -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/25/2004 7:50:00 AM)

So your a new boy?,Guess what ;it gets harder and harder BUT MORE FUN ALONG THE WAY.Snipers v tanks and winning, is a rarity, but when it happens to them at your advantage, chuckle and chorttle to your hearts content.Enjoy the best thing [bar sex] that free!!![:-].

mine_field -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/25/2004 8:35:21 AM)

Well I'm getting better. Many of my concerns have been overcome with patience, experience, and the indispensable advice of this board.

I can't say I have lost a tank to another sniper recently. Have had plenty of those Kuebelwagens blown up by everything from ATG to pebbles in the road though.

I have started to see how it does get harder, and with this first PBEM, I see how much more exciting it can be.

It is so great to know that there is someone else to see that nifty trick you just pulled off. Of course this is a double-edged sword.

As far as stupid orders, I guess the units are only as smart as the commander. I see what you mean about them always taking the path of least movement points. I am learning to watch for unexpected detours. Wasn't expecting a kuebelwagen to break down in rough terrain though. I guess they don't put the big 'ole tires (say it like tar) on the buggies like we do down here in the South.

Belisarius -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/25/2004 12:25:27 PM)

mine_field

First, welcome to the game. [:)]

Second, don't underestimate the Power of the ÜberKübelwagen. In a battle I had vs. Goblin once, one of his army beetles kept an entire platoon of my Russians in check, broke them, and - a tank for good measure! [X(]

arethusa -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/25/2004 3:25:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

mine_field

First, welcome to the game. [:)]

Second, don't underestimate the Power of the ÜberKübelwagen. In a battle I had vs. Goblin once, one of his army beetles kept an entire platoon of my Russians in check, broke them, and - a tank for good measure! [X(]

Now that would be interesting to hear what happened.

Yeah, I've seen Kuebelwagons used very successfully (against me BTW, thanks Buzz [:(]) but to hold off and break an entire platoon AND a tank must be a good story.

arethusa -> RE: Intro, reflections, and concerns (3/25/2004 3:32:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mine_field

As far as stupid orders, I guess the units are only as smart as the commander. I see what you mean about them always taking the path of least movement points. I am learning to watch for unexpected detours. Wasn't expecting a kuebelwagen to break down in rough terrain though. I guess they don't put the big 'ole tires (say it like tar) on the buggies like we do down here in the South.

No, the big 'tars' weren't invented that far back.

If you're old enough, you might remember a car that was out for a few years called the Volkswagon 'Thing'. It looked sort of like the shape of a regular beetle convertible on slab-sided and the sides were corrugated like a fibreglass shed roof. Paint them in cammo' and that's what a Kuebelwagon looks like. Sort of like driving a modern Beetle cross-country. Not that robust.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI