Question about Scouting (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

FunkyMonkey -> Question about Scouting (9/29/2001 9:57:00 AM)

If you know that there are some enemies hiding in a certain forest but you can't see them, how can you detect them beside moving to the hex next to them? I found that indirect fire on the hexes can sometimes help. Is there any other way?

Major Destruction -> (9/29/2001 10:36:00 AM)

Use an experienced recon unit.

Charles2222 -> (9/29/2001 8:04:00 PM)

I think another tool that may play a major role, would be to remember that once you have a recon unit within some kind of range where it hopefully won't be spotted itself, but still spot infantry which are firing non-stop (I'm going through this problem now, as I'm campaigning Brit in France against Gerry, while I usually enjoy superiority of Gerry in my campaign attempts - it is funny though that I never recall having had infantry fire it's full turn on the very hectic AI when playing Gerry, from a range of 8, say, and that infantry of mine not get spotted), to let it sit a turn or two every once in a while. The tendency, for me anyway, is to constantly move infantry, and sometimes scouts (recon), at a one hex per turn clip. The problem with that though, is though they are still pretty good spotters with such a slow pace, they do pick up better when sitting for a small period.

Charles2222 -> (9/30/2001 8:29:00 AM)

FunkyMonkey: Update here. I have a Brit scout unit (2 men), which has an experience of 61. with a moral of 75. He was fired on a bit about 5 turns ago, but has remained in that spot since, without returning fire, and he remains unspotted and unmoved for at least 4 turns now. Guess what? I hadn't moved him for the reasons that were achieved, though I hoped to scout deeper than he had, but he was just stuck, unless I wanted to back him out. There was a couple of hexes with mines in them, spotted via artillery falling earlier; one two hexes away and one three hexes away. That of course was another reason why I dared not move him so hopefully he could help spot that area for mines better. Well, turns out a full three or four turns later he finally spots a minefield. Guess where? In his very hex!!! Man, if that spotting didn't take forever!!! I was of the thinking that a scout would spot mines better than anyone because it spots units better, but now I wonder if engineers despite having less spotting ability, don't spot mines better than scouts. Bad thing is though, if the enemy are just behind the mines, the engineers will get it. Actually I'M VERY SUSPICIOUS that scouts can't spot mines AT ALL, because I believe they have no mining removal capabilities. Even if they do have mine clearing abilities, it seems obvious that spotting them and removing them go hand-in-hand so that larger amounts of men would remove them better, such as engineers typically would have. Makes me wonder how effective the Brit mine-clearing tanks are. If my theory holds, the tank will spot mines as effectively as it clears them. As well, it may clear them based on the number of men, and if so, it's probably basing that clearing ability on 2 'engineers' ability (it has a two man crew) to clear mines (although I would guess in RL the tank might be more effective than a full 10 man squad, given same optimal conditions). Then again, I doubt the programmer would put a mine-clearing tank's ratio based on just the ability of 2 engineers ability to do it. Perhaps Paul has some input?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI