Questions from a newbie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

mcschmidt_00 -> Questions from a newbie (10/16/2001 7:04:00 PM)

Sorry--I accidentally posted this in the Matrix general forum as well.
Hello--I've just recently begun playing SPWAW and am in the middle of my first campaign battle. I'm playing the WWII campaign as America fighting in the Pacific. I have a few questions that I haven't found answers to in the manual. (They may be in there, but I'm still trying to digest it).
I'm playing v6.1. Any insights from the experienced players would be helpful: 1. When choosing my forces, I noticed that the "Display Map" button showed a different map when choosing my primary forces then when choosing my supporting units. Is this a bug? 2. I also found that I wasn't told the nature of the first battle (in this case, defend against counterattack) until after I had deployed my forces (incorrectly as it turns out). Is this on purpose (a way of mimicking the uncertainty of battle) or am I doing something wrong? 3. A few turns into the battle, I got my first taste of heavy artillery directed at me (why do they hate me so much?) I remember reading somewhere that shooting artillery leaves traces of smoke. I've got "limited intel" turned on, so I'm wondering if the enemys artillery does this as well. I see a few white patches on enemys side of the map and I'm temped plaster those areas with artillery. Is this right? 4. And last. As this scenario is based in the jungle and the weather is giving me very limited visibility, most of my artillery strikes are unspotted. Occasionally, I see flames where my shells land instead of just smoke. Have I hit something (enemy troops, artillery) or have the trees just caught fire? I hope to hear from you soon and look forward to learning more about this game. Thanks, MCS

john g -> (10/16/2001 7:33:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by mcschmidt_00:
Sorry--I accidentally posted this in the Matrix general forum as well.
Hello--I've just recently begun playing SPWAW and am in the middle of my first campaign battle. I'm playing the WWII campaign as America fighting in the Pacific. I have a few questions that I haven't found answers to in the manual. (They may be in there, but I'm still trying to digest it).
I'm playing v6.1. Any insights from the experienced players would be helpful: 1. When choosing my forces, I noticed that the "Display Map" button showed a different map when choosing my primary forces then when choosing my supporting units. Is this a bug? 2. I also found that I wasn't told the nature of the first battle (in this case, defend against counterattack) until after I had deployed my forces (incorrectly as it turns out). Is this on purpose (a way of mimicking the uncertainty of battle) or am I doing something wrong? 3. A few turns into the battle, I got my first taste of heavy artillery directed at me (why do they hate me so much?) I remember reading somewhere that shooting artillery leaves traces of smoke. I've got "limited intel" turned on, so I'm wondering if the enemys artillery does this as well. I see a few white patches on enemys side of the map and I'm temped plaster those areas with artillery. Is this right? 4. And last. As this scenario is based in the jungle and the weather is giving me very limited visibility, most of my artillery strikes are unspotted. Occasionally, I see flames where my shells land instead of just smoke. Have I hit something (enemy troops, artillery) or have the trees just caught fire? I hope to hear from you soon and look forward to learning more about this game. Thanks, MCS

I'll throw my 2 cents in, from my experiances with the game. 1. This is how it has always worked, the mission map only shows up when buying support points. Since you buy core only once, it doesn't matter what is shown that one time. 2. While buying support points, there is a mission listing down by the map button. It shows visibility, mission and total game turns. You can also figure general mission from how the victory hexes are arranged on the map (assuming 5 vic hex clusters). 3.Not only arty leaves a smoke trace, if you look closely, tanks will give a light smoke trace if they fire often enough from the same location. Arty just puts out a heavier smoke faster. So whatever is making the smoke might be arty. 4. Trees will catch fire, and fires will sometimes spread from one hex to another. Unless you are using flame weapons like wurf or napalm it generally shows that the trees are on fire.
About the only enemy unit that flames up is the ammo dump, and you will recognize that once you have seen it. If you have any other questions go ahead and ask, enough players have gone thru it before to have an opinion if they don't have the facts.
thanks, John.

Lars Remmen -> (10/16/2001 7:40:00 PM)

Hi and welcome! 1. I've never noticed this - perhaps because I never look at the map when buying the core force. But I have never experienced any problems with the ones shown when buying support forces. In your next battle you won't have to worry as you already have your core force and only need to buy support forces. 2. Did you try to press the 'Mission' button while purchasing support forces? There you will see battle type, number of turns, visibility and weather (I think). 3. You are absolutely right. The small smoke puffs are (unless you have used you own artillery in the area) smoke from enemy guns. Let them have it 4. The trees have caught fire. If you hit the enemy forces it will show in the text bit of the lower right hand side of the screen. Good luck with your campaign and remember that you need plenty of MG's flame throwers and artillery to beat the Japanese. Don't go toe to toe with them. Play it as unfair as you possibly can Regards, Lars

skukko -> (10/16/2001 11:05:00 PM)

Whellcome 3) It can be Japs Kneemortar without new orders. Take two squads/ one platoon to reconnaisance. If it is kneemortar: don't go near without barraging it abit... remember also that while you travel/ order barrage, it may have gone and shoots you in next turn with good line of sight... I've noticed many times that small groups do get onboard vehicles at AIs side, so they will move. And in the jungle and marsh/ swamp areas there is sort of a fog that looks like arty smokes. To be sure shoot it with your valuable arty and go and snipe it with some units. I do use company leaders for such a missions... (they gain easy kills and exp) mosh

chief -> (10/17/2001 11:06:00 AM)

mcschmidt: I see you found your own way here....

RichardTheFirst -> (10/18/2001 1:21:00 AM)

Hi and welcome, i'm an old SP player but just joined this forum. Question 4) When you make an artillery barrage always be very attentive to the messages below in the gray area (turn off fast artillery) they will tell you if you hit someone. RichardTheFirst

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI