Various problems... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Campaigns on the Danube Support

benpark -> Various problems... (4/3/2004 11:56:43 AM)

First off, I like the game so far. I think that the attention to replicating the problems faced by commanders for the era is terrific.

I'm finding the game somewhat buggy right now. Some of the same issues others have brought up (attaching leaders, scroll not going to bottom of map, etc.), and more.

On several of the scenarios, the orders menu for Napoleon has some choices blacked out-one of these is movement. I also get a black screen for the combat screen intermitently-but it always freezes the game up, and it's a wash. Also, scrolling with the mouse doesn't seem to work for any direction but East. Enemy units (Austria so far) should, according to the manual, show up as red dots-I don't see them-with or without FOW (tested at all settings).

I will try and post screens tommorrow illustrating some more bugs as I come accross 'em.

Also-I wish that I could see the route (in arrows) of the commanders. I have to right click to their subordinates to see the path. Frustrating.

WinXP pro, 1.4ghz, 256mb, GeForce4 MMX 64mb.

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/3/2004 5:30:10 PM)

This is as good a thread as any to maybe compile a list of bugs/suggestions. I've noticed all the ones listed above as well. And some of the ones I mention below are from earlier posts of mine, and I know that some may have been already addressed by the imminent patch.

1. Haven't been able to reload a saved game yet, except one time with the autosave. Usually results in the black screen with no units.

2. I notice that there's no dummy-proofing on the initial setup screen. I can press Commence without making any choices (but the time I did this the game eventually returned with operating system faults). And on that setup screen, does that black box on the lower left have any purpose?

3. Is it possible to display (somewhere) the corps in the selected hex? I have to click through the stack to see what's there.

4. When I save a game, and choose a previous save (e.g., Game one.adx), the game creates a new save file (instead of saving over the previous one), but names it Game on.adx, loosing one letter at the end.

5. I haven't found where to see if I've already given an order to a corps (before pressing the Continue button). This would be helpful. But I may just have missed the information on the screen up until now.

6. Would it be useful to have a list of orders that have been sent but not necessarily received? Returning to a previous save I can imagine that I won't remember what I had done in previous turns.

7. Re: The Independent and To the Guns buttons. The buttons in the manual appear to be between the two "light indicators" but in the game both indicators are on the left of the buttons. Are these functioning/displayed correctly?

FrankHunter -> RE: Various problems... (4/3/2004 8:22:33 PM)

Hi, I'll address these in order.

The reason some buttons don't display for Army HQs is that they are not relevant. For example the Austrian Declare War button won't show when already at war. I perhaps should have made those buttons greyed out instead.

The black combat screen I finally was able to reproduce here a few days ago. It was addressed in the patch. I believe it should now be fixed as I can once again no longer reproduce it. A very annoying bug which I think is caused by the new sound library as nothing else in battles was changed from the previous version where battles had always worked just fine.

On saved games, I haven't seen this, are these PBEM saves or just regular saves?

The setup screen black text box is for naming a PBEM game. All the autosaves will use that name.

Independent and To the Guns can be a little confusing, because the one indicator denotes whether you're sending that order while the other indicator is telling you whether or not the corps is operating independently or under orders to march to the guns already.

The others are more suggestions. We wanted to get the game out there and see what people would like to see added to the system so I didn't spend time on adding new stuff. However, I am certainly open to adding these types of features in the next pair of campaigns.

Thanks!

Route of commanders

benpark -> RE: Various problems... (4/3/2004 10:41:15 PM)

Frank-in the situation where there was no "objective" button for Napoleon-is he/staff "off board" at this point? Thus the lack of button for movement? If so, it may be helpful to state this in the briefing section.

I figure a few of these problems are down to getting used to the system, so my apologies if that is the case.

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/3/2004 10:56:06 PM)

The re-save is a trivial issue, but just to clarify: It's with regular saves, and the problem occurs when I try and save over (by selecting) a previous save.

And when you say you'll add features to the next pair of campaigns, does that imply a completely different game? And therefore new features, like those mentioned above, won't be added to the 1805/1809 game?

MarkT -> RE: Various problems... (4/4/2004 12:01:57 AM)

Actually, it means there will be other games in the series. This game will be patched, and used as a testing ground for the next one, 1806 / 1813. New features will be impolyed into that one, to improve on the system. The games down the road MAY include:
1806 / 1813
1814 / France
1815 (Waterloo)
Spain
1807 / 1812
This game is the first of many. I hope!

Mark

Bertram -> RE: Various problems... (4/7/2004 10:27:32 PM)

Just bought this game, and tried it out.

I regret to say that my soldiers went hungry, somehow the supply never caught up with them... No bug, just inexperience on my part....

A (possible) bug: When the battle resolution screen came up, I always got the defender choices when I had the majority of troops, and the attack options when I had less troops then the AI (me playing French in Ulm). Now it seems my 45 French infantry can hurt those 2 Austian infantry, even when they have to "defend in depth" to do it, but it seems a bit odd. As the Australians attacked, even when clearly outclassed, it might be a case of screens switched, instead of attacker/defender switched.

An other (minor) point is that when ordering Nap himself to move, there is no indication that he actually gets a new objective (that is, there are no arrows when assigning the objective to him).

For the wish list: I got a nice 19"monitor, which I keep at 1200x1000. Playing the game just makes use of a mall piece of the screen. I would love to have the main map enlarged somewhat. (I switched to 1000x800 to fill the screen, but all that scrolling, which was only intermittent succesfull using the mouse btw, is a shame when you have a big screen).

Bertram

MarkT -> RE: Various problems... (4/8/2004 5:48:57 AM)

attacker vs defender. I have been both attacker vs defender with large and small forces.

Could this just be coincidence?

In any event, I will test it out and see.....

Mark

Adam Parker -> RE: Various problems... (4/8/2004 7:07:49 AM)

Bertram I've found mouse scrolling sluggish too - even at 1024x768.

I plan to play now using my regular 1280x1024 resolution so that yes, the map will only cover a small part of the screen. But I have a 19" CRT too so that is ok.

I'll now delve into the rules of this game as there are some different mechanics that I'm not used too. The combat screen listing rapid fire line after line of combat results is odd. Whether there is an alternative to this I've yet to find out but I think this game will offer some stimulating game play.

Not knowing what I'm doing yet, the Austrian AI has handed my head on a platter numerous times in the beginnings of the first scen so far [:D]

I do like the art - a good use of oversized counters there.

Adam.

EricLarsen -> RE: Various problems... (4/8/2004 5:45:09 PM)

Bertram,
How the program picks who is the attacker and who is the defender may seem a bit strange, but it isn't. Just because you have your troops set to attack and have the larger force does not automatically make you the attacker. Both sides may be set to attack but only one side gets to be the attacker. It's a matter of who gets into the hex first gets to be the defender, regardless of attack or defend orders. You can have units set to defend get into a battle hex second and they wil automatically be the attacker even thought the first player in may have been set to attack. Those attack/defend orders are meant more for whether or not a unit will fight when the enemy appears and how aggresively it does it.

Be thankful you won't see the combat bug from CLGA that had several of my corps set on defend in a town go on the attack when the other player set his corps adjacent to that town across a river to attack and it was my corps that moved out of the town, crossed the river on the attack and got trashed!
Eric

Bertram -> RE: Various problems... (4/8/2004 9:38:09 PM)

Eric,

Fortunatly it wasn't that bad :).

But it is a bit strange to see 25.000 of my brave Frenchmen dig in to defend themself from the charge of 0 Austrians (yes, I guess it was a group of less then 500, who stumbled upon my army).

Maybe on the whish list for next build: let the player/AI determine if he wants to defend or attack. (Maybe all that is needed is renaming the options).

Bertram

EricLarsen -> Nappy nailed down (4/9/2004 5:32:48 PM)

benpark,
The reason Nappy is nailed down in several 1809 scenarios is to model the fact that he was still enroute to the battle area and that Berthier was in command. By nailing down Nappy at Ulm it gives the French player that initial disadvantage of having a dazed and confused Berthier flubbing up Nappy's intentions. French players gained an unfair ahistorical advantage when Nappy was free to drive the Davout tank from the beginning. [8D]
Eric

EricLarsen -> RE: Various problems... (4/9/2004 5:39:41 PM)

Bertram,
While first in the hex is first to defend seems a bit unfair it does give the player who gets there first an advantage which is fair. Near the end of CLGA 1805/1809 1.16 Frank did put in a routine to control better the AI in making idiot suicide attacks and it did work nicely but may have become broken. Frank did have the AI set to retreat in circumstances where it was very outnumbered. I had been playing the Austrians and always was trapping Davout near Braunau and having him go into battle at very bad odds and sending Frank the saved game files and then Frank played a fooly on me and fixed my little trap wagon and Davout would move near then away and would actually force me to move out and attack. [:D]
Eric

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/9/2004 6:35:13 PM)

Surprisingly (and mysteriously) I was able to download a previously saved game (being unable to do so before). Unfortunately, after playing a few turns I minimized the game (with windows key+d) and noticed that there was an execution fault window sitting in the background. The game stopped responding at that point. Not sure if this is due to minimizing, but since I've done so successfuly before I'm guessing it has to do with the execution fault.

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/9/2004 11:12:19 PM)

A few more comments:

1. I notice that the left/right arrow keys seem to be mapped to two functions simultaneously: scrolling the mini-map and speed of turn.

2. Sometimes unit icons overlap and cover information. For example, an enemy icon was covering one of my corp commander icons and I wasn't able to see what my commander's designation was (I, IV, etc.). A minor suggestion, but would it be possible to add the designation next to each instance of the commander's name (bottom options panel, find corps screen, etc.)?

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/10/2004 6:05:03 PM)

A few more comments (about the manual this time, which may be helpful if there are future versions):

1. Extremely petty of me to point out, but it is very distracting to have a spelling mistake in the header (which is on every page of the manual).

2. There are a few figures which are in the wrong place in the text, such as on page 11.

3. At least one figure, as I mentioned in a previous post, displays a UI element which is different in the game (to the guns).

4. Why are the scenarios numbered differently than how they are displayed? e.g., scenario one is actually the fourth one in the game (from the 1809 campaign). Foolishly, this caused me some confusion during my first game.

5. On page 6, the game speed diagram has the slower/faster words reversed.

6. On the other hand, I appreciate the addition of the Designer's Notes. Very helpful.

As for information in-game, I wonder if situational awareness could be improved; since the map displays a very small portion of the battlefield, I'm constantly slewing all over the place trying to appreciate distances and placement. Inspired by the addition of a magnifying glass to Korsun Pocket (holding down the ALT key, if I remember correctly), I wonder if there could be a pop-up map that displays the battlefield in its entirety on the screen with current intel? Designation ids (the roman numerals) could be displayed instead of blue dots. Simply a request ....

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/11/2004 3:18:13 AM)

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I realized that units are covering information of other units because selecting on a given corps or division does not bring that icon to the top. This means that the three stats for each corp are often obscured by nearby friend/foe units.

Rainbow7 -> RE: Various problems... (4/11/2004 8:31:53 PM)

A few more bugs:

1. Should the value of a city be shown when selecting it? This does not seem to be working at all.

2. A really strange bug: Selecting city-supply depots does not display their value (which is shown on the screen anyway) - instead, it displays the value of the city last found by the Search for City button. (e.g., I search for Vienna, then select my supply depot at my operations centre (@Munich), and it displays in the information panel: "Vienna/Value:3/Supplies:0". The same text is displayed no matter which supply depot I select. Note how strange this is in conjunction with point #1 above.

e_barkmann -> RE: Various problems... (4/21/2004 7:50:24 AM)

Just a "me too" - I have also seen the two issues Rainbow has raised in the above post.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI