Red Storm Rising (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

JudgeDredd -> Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 1:44:59 PM)

Loved this book so much, I read it within a week (a fantastic achievment for me) and then bought the board game.

Does anyone know if there was a computerised version of the board game?

I still have the board game - along with MBT (I think) and A Line in the Sand. I know they made a computer version of A Line in The Sand many moons ago...but I prefer the 80's style cold war game....any chance it's been made into a wargame?

YES - I know....I'm waiting patiently for Flashpoint Germany!!

sprior -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 2:06:06 PM)

There was an RSR game, but it was a subsim for the C64. Very good fun and on 2 floppies - those were the days....

Besenwesen -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 2:44:05 PM)

yep,
there was just that subsim

you can download it for free @ www.the-underdogs.org

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 5:48:33 PM)

There have been other threads talking about this topic…the good old days. [&o]

It still amazes me at what the old computer games were able to provide better and more enjoyable content than all of these new and flashy crap games out today. All created and played on far less hardware requirements.

RSR was also ported for the PC, not just the C64 (which I had).

Paul Wykes -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 7:45:15 PM)

I`ve just started this book a day ago, and I can`t put it down.

If you have SPMBT, there is a user campaign of Red Storm Rising. I think its available from wargamer.com

Zakhal -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 8:00:06 PM)

Ah red storm rising for 64 tape. How i loved that game. I had to wait 20min each time for it to load and it only worked 1 out of ten times i loaded it (luckily it had a thick manual to read while waiting). But the few times i got to play it sure was intense.

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 8:10:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Wykes

I`ve just started this book a day ago, and I can`t put it down.

RSR is Clancy (and Larry Bond’s) best work in my opinion. [sm=00000436.gif]

I first read it in 1987 when it came out in paperback. I’ve since reread it about a year ago. It is, of course, a bit outdated in some of the technical aspects such as the Stealth Fighter. But, in the day it was frist written it was "breaking news".

Larry Bond’s “Red Phoenix”, “Cauldron”, and “Vortex” are great reads in the same genre.

Rummy -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 10:57:58 PM)

Go to the World at War thread for some posts about the Red Storm Rising boardgame coincidentally.

I loved (almost obsessively) the book and boardgame. Still can't put the book down--I probably read it once a year. It's still the best fiction war book in print IMO.

Larry Bond's Red Phoenix was his best work as well. I don't think we've had a war-technothriller to match these two since they came out.

I had a real special Red Storm Rising moment about a year-and-a-half ago when I was a guest on the USS Carl Vinson as it conducted flight operations in the Pacific. Spent the night in an officer's quarters and stayed up late reading the section where the Nimitz gets ambushed by Backfires. The next day, I toured the CIC and thought, "So this is where Toland was . . ." Pretty cool.

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 11:08:21 PM)

“Team Yankee” was a very good read also, but only keeps the reader in an M1 tank platoon during a Warsaw Pact invasion of West Germany. That book is out of print though.

There really is no book that covers the Land, Air, and Sea aspect of a Cold War gone hot as well as RSR.

It seems as if the writers of this genre are more fixated these days with counter-terrorist teams than writing about a full-blown world war. Or, you get a novel about a cocky, maverick solider who goes out and wins a war single handedly while shooting down three nuclear missiles in one single shot with a Daisy Red Rider BB gun. [sm=00000036.gif]

mjk428 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 11:51:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Loved this book so much, I read it within a week (a fantastic achievment for me) and then bought the board game.

Does anyone know if there was a computerised version of the board game?

North Atlantic '86 by Gary Grigsby may be the closest thing to what you're looking for. As you can probably tell from the title, it's old and out of print. You might be able to get it to run with an Apple emulator.

Harpoon satisfied my appetite for a game based on the book. Harpoon '97, Harpoon Classic & Harpoon 3 should all do the trick.

http://www.harpoonhq.com/

Marc von Martial -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/15/2004 11:54:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick91

“Team Yankee” was a very good read also, but only keeps the reader in an M1 tank platoon during a Warsaw Pact invasion of West Germany. That book is out of print though.

Huh? I ordered it just a month ago from Amazon.

Challerain -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 12:32:38 AM)

quote:

Harpoon satisfied my appetite for a game based on the book. Harpoon '97, Harpoon Classic & Harpoon 3 should all do the trick.

Isn't it the other way around? I think I remember reading that the battles in the book were simmed using the tabletop Harpoon game.

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 12:35:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

When you ordered it, did it come directly from Amazon.com, or did you link up with a third party?

I was mainly referring to being able to find it on a store shelf (Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million, etc.) in brand new mint condition.

Right now, you cannot order a brand new copy directly from Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. They will link you up with other people offering to sell their copies (in various conditions). That book has been out of print from the publisher for years. The last paperback printing was in 1988.

I was able to find a used, 1st edition, hardback that was in excellent condition about a year ago through eBay.

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 12:40:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Challerain

quote:

Isn't it the other way around? I think I remember reading that the battles in the book were simmed using the tabletop Harpoon game.

You are correct. Tom Clancy and Larry Bond did just that. To quote from the Author's Note in "Red Storm Rising" '...served as a primary source for The Hunt for Red October"' and '... a macro-wargame or 'campaign' game which, using the 'Harpoon' system, would fight out a new Battle of the North Atlantic. I thought this was fascinating and we began talking about building a book around the idea...'

I love Harpoon and still have the original version boxed up in my closet. I also have Harpoon3 on my PC at home. The only thing lacking are mobile and controllable ground units that engage each other. That addition is on the drawing board for Harpoon3 in the near future.

mjk428 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 12:57:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Challerain

quote:

That's true but before I read the book, I hadn't yet heard of Harpoon. When the computer version of Harpoon came out, I finally was able to play out the scenarios in the book for myself.

I didn't mean to imply that Harpoon was based on the book. Sorry for any confusion.

Shadow of the Condor -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 1:43:20 AM)

Have to agree that RSR was Clancy's best - predominatly covering the war from different aspects from KGB plots to Sgt. MacKall in the M-1 tank, and everyone inbetween. I did have the C64 version of the game (along with Crusade in Europe I think I wore the poor 5 1/4" drive out). I did download RSR from underdog, but it was frightening how foreign the EGA graphics looked to me when I tried to run it up. And of course, how could you survive without the handdy Keyboard overlay? Games like RSR, F14 Tomcat (and later F-22 Stealth fighter) and Gunship probably were some of the best times on the old system. And the transition from the old C64 with a tape player to an IBM 8088 - my gawd that "had" to be the "ultimate" in technology...didn't it?

(Pardon the reminscing...)

Zakhal -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 3:32:07 AM)

Crusade in europe? Now that was a good game. (and it never failed to load too)

IronDuke_slith -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/16/2004 4:13:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

There was an RSR game, but it was a subsim for the C64. Very good fun and on 2 floppies - those were the days....

Exellent early game, I spent hours and hours on it. It even got to the point that I was shouting at anyone entering into the room too noisily whilst I played, because I was stalking a Soviet Battlegroup and had gone to Silent running. I use to whisper answers to questions. JudgeDredd is right about the book as well, I finished it in just a few days. I couldn't put it down.

Regards,
Ironduke

NefariousKoel -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 3:55:04 AM)

Slick! I'm almost disgusted that you haven't tried Harpoon4 tabletop. What the p*ss?

Everyone else... yeah, I played RSR on the C64 like it was goin outta style. I loved that game.

These days.. well, there's always Sub Command and.. the one I'm lookin' forward to..
http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/

Edit: In the meantime, if you have Sub Command let me recommend this spot for missions..
http://www.subguru.com/

Good devs... they follow up quite well. For example, they just released a compatibility patch for a game that was released back in 99. D@mn fine people.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 10:06:19 AM)

SHOOT!!!

Now I'm going to have to go into the loft and get it again!!

JudgeDredd -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 10:10:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Slick! I'm almost disgusted that you haven't tried Harpoon4 tabletop. What the p*ss?

Everyone else... yeah, I played RSR on the C64 like it was goin outta style. I loved that game.

These days.. well, there's always Sub Command and.. the one I'm lookin' forward to..
http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/

Edit: In the meantime, if you have Sub Command let me recommend this spot for missions..
http://www.subguru.com/

Good devs... they follow up quite well. For example, they just released a compatibility patch for a game that was released back in 99. D@mn fine people.

First off, thx for heads up on SCS - I didn't know about it. Is there an ETA you know of?

Also, I've messed about for a long while, picking up Sub Command to buy - putting it back on the shelf - picking it up to buy - back on shelf. Is it any good? I LOVED Janes 688 Attack Sub (in fact when simulation meant something, Janes was the name). So is Sub Command worth it? (£16.00 from Amazon UK)

Thx

JudgeDredd -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 10:26:28 AM)

I just thought of something.....What about Janes Fleet Command. From what I remeber that was a pretty reasonable game.

Oh...oh...I might get that out of the loft when I look for Red Storm Rising! [:D][:D][:D]

Marc von Martial -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 4:53:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadow of the Condor

Have to agree that RSR was Clancy's best - predominatly covering the war from different aspects from KGB plots to Sgt. MacKall in the M-1 tank, and everyone inbetween. I did have the C64 version of the game (along with Crusade in Europe I think I wore the poor 5 1/4" drive out). I did download RSR from underdog, but it was frightening how foreign the EGA graphics looked to me when I tried to run it up. And of course, how could you survive without the handdy Keyboard overlay? Games like RSR, F14 Tomcat (and later F-22 Stealth fighter) and Gunship probably were some of the best times on the old system. And the transition from the old C64 with a tape player to an IBM 8088 - my gawd that "had" to be the "ultimate" in technology...didn't it?

(Pardon the reminscing...)

LOL, how true !

Slick91 -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 5:20:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Well, I WAS waiting for the PC game to come out and that was based on the H4 rules. [:@]

I haven't played an actual board game in yeeeeeeeeeeeeears. But, all of mine are still in near mint condition. [:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/17/2004 10:24:44 PM)

I wish I hadn't started this! I'm going to have to get out Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October, A Line in the Sand, MBT........

I can see a divorce coming on!!

SeaMonkey -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/18/2004 6:48:15 AM)

Damn I can't believe that mention of RSR started all of this. Never played the computer version but I still love the two board games although haven't played them in years. Would be nice for someone to create the games in a more modern format. Sure it would be a hit. Now I want to mention another game that had a novel system of combat and then move. It was contemporary game set in the Mediterranean theater. Anyone want to guess?...........................well...................another hint.........publisher........SPI........in the mag S & T........................Ok 6th Fleet..... anyone remember?

Raverdave -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/18/2004 8:00:31 AM)

Now THAT reminds me of my first flight sim....I think it was called Fleet defender? I always crashed my F-14 on the deck trying to land[:(]

JudgeDredd -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/18/2004 1:39:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Now THAT reminds me of my first flight sim....I think it was called Fleet defender? I always crashed my F-14 on the deck trying to land[:(]

Fleet Defender! By Microprose. What a sim! Awesome. Nice one - forgot to mention Microprose when taking about Janes and simulations!!

sprior -> Microprose (4/18/2004 11:29:38 PM)

And don't forget M1 Tank Platoon. Anyone else here remember DIs F-16 game?

Marc von Martial -> RE: Red Storm Rising (4/19/2004 1:29:37 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

When you ordered it, did it come directly from Amazon.com, or did you link up with a third party?

Directly from Amazon, brandnew.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI