In Anticipation of 8.2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

KG Erwin -> In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/5/2004 3:16:32 AM)

For those who have gone above and beyond in providing CD copies, here's a heads up--8.2 is indeed soon coming, so you can help by burning a complete install when it's released and making copies to prevent overload of the download servers. This is another reason why the download is being delayed, as 8.2 has to be uploaded to the various distributing servers. We're getting very close, gentlemen.

elmo3 -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/5/2004 3:59:28 AM)

Thanks for the heads up.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/5/2004 4:03:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

For those who have gone above and beyond in providing CD copies, here's a heads up--8.2 is indeed soon coming, so you can help by burning a complete install when it's released and making copies to prevent overload of the download servers. This is another reason why the download is being delayed, as 8.2 has to be uploaded to the various distributing servers. We're getting very close, gentlemen.

Is there an 8.2 patch or do you have to get the full thing again?

If they cant provide us with a patch then I refuse to get 8.2 Its too much of a headache to install it and all my MC's and all of my scenarios and all of my graphic and sound mods.

KG Erwin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/5/2004 5:06:30 AM)

I'm pretty sure that 8.2 will be available as both a patch and a complete install. I'll soon get confirmation on all this.

Sergio Castaldi -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/7/2004 12:48:36 AM)

thank you Great Chief.

Sergio

KG Erwin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/7/2004 1:18:02 AM)

Thanks, Sergio, but remember I'm just a volunteer liasion between the gamers and the Matrix staff. I pass along information, but have no input into decisions being made at the business level. I can make suggestions, but I can't issue orders. Nevertheless, I regard it as a great privilege to have a direct line to the top.

The only problem is, it cuts into my actual gaming time. [:(]

To expand on this, I'm just a gamer like you or any other member of this forum. I've been lucky enough to be asked to assist in various projects, but you can read my gaming history elsewhere. I have a wide range of knowledge, but I'm neither an expert nor hold an academic degree in history or military studies. Like most of you, I'm just an avid student of military history who has parlayed this into a relationship with game designers, publishers and book authors. It's a fascinating world, populated with some great people.
I just love it, and as trite as it may sound, I do it all simply for the love of the game, and to meet the people both in front of and behind the scenes.

Smeghead -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/7/2004 6:58:11 PM)

Thanks KG Erwin, appreciate you taking the time and more to let us know all this! ( especially when it takes time from the gaming! )

Cheers. :)

hellcat -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/7/2004 11:09:17 PM)

hey Gunny, I know you're a bit caught in the middle over the whole 8.2 thing but it's a little unfair of MAtrix to use you as a buffer on this issue. With that in mind can we get some kind of 'official' word from Matrix about what the heck is happening with 8.2 and when the user base can expect to see it?

It's becoming painfully apparent that the delay and wall of silence from the top is pushing people away from the game. Can you pass this on to MG please and get them to make some kind of announcement that has a basis in reality???

I'm not gunning at you over this and know you're kinda caught in the crossfire but it's very disappointing to be told one thing and then let down and then just not to know what's happening at all? It's May 7th today and we still have no idea what's happening and perhaps worst of all, some of the very best scen and map designers are losing faith!

If MG intends to flush spwaw down the toilet then this is a good way of doing it[:@]

KG Erwin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 3:11:06 AM)

Hellcat, I'm as anxious as the rest of you guys to get the patch released. However, one point must not be forgotten. SPWaW is a free game, and for me to bombard the production staff with e-mails or phone calls is ultimately counterproductive.

We, and I mean all of us (including yours truly) , should also remember that the game is fully playable as is. What the OOB Team and everyone else who contributed have done is simply make improvements and add more design tools to an already fine program. As for the OOB Team, our contribution is finished. The patch is in the hands of the production staff. Unless something turns up that is seriously screwed up, this will also be the final patch.

I also want to emphasize that the forum will remain, the support will be here, and I'll still be conducting overwatch and offering my humble help in answering gameplay questions.

rich12545 -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 3:18:07 AM)

this will also be the final patch.

hahahahahahahaha
yeah. right.
How many times have I heard that before? [:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 3:40:21 AM)

Rich, this time they mean it. No more major overhauls to the database. With Wild Bill taking time off, I don't see any new MCs in the near future. I want to see the scenario designers produce new material that won't be in danger of becoming obsolete as soon as they're completed.

M4Jess -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 3:57:41 AM)

8.0 MCSE scenario designer

20+ Scens designed and posted for 8.0+

1 Campagin 8.0 designed and posted

8.0 only came out in Dec?

Why do we need a new patch?

Thats the facts.

Am I to understand all of this/my work is for nothing?

Jess

KG Erwin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 5:14:04 AM)

No, Jess, your work has not been in vain. It is primarily for you and other scenario designers that I want the changes we made to be in your hands ASAP. You guys have new toys to work with, new units to experiment with, and improvements to the old units. You guys will hold the future of SPWaW in your hands and imaginations.

Here's the kicker--I have most of the patch in hand now. As an OOB team member, I can enjoy 8.2 and say wonderful things about it, maybe give you some previews of the changes, but I can't give the whole thing to any of you. This is the most frustrating aspect of it all. [:(]

On a final note, though, I will offer a tidbit: the old height advantage/disadvantage bug has been addressed. An ATG on a hill will have killing ability at further ranges than previously. Some may disagree, but in testing, it is more realistic. This was brought home to me in my last long campaign assault. Japanese 37mm ATGs on hills picked off five of my Stuarts. Now, had they been Shermans, it would've been a different story, but for you armor fans, light tanks are now as vulnerable to ATG and mortar fire as they should be.

SPWaW should now be closer to representing the tactical realities of WWII: the winning formula is the proper application of all arms working together to achieve your objectives. It's a simple formula, but sometimes very difficult to execute in the heat of battle.

hellcat -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 7:53:04 AM)

Gunny are we to understand that Matrix (because it's a free game) won't give us a date? Or that they don't care / are unaware of the tremendous amount of bad feeling not keeping us (and you) informed is generating?

Can you let me know who to contact at MG over this and I'll make a point directly

rich12545 -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 6:19:26 PM)

hellcat, there has been some controversy over giving out a patch date and then not making it. I believe Matrix is getting it to us to the best of its ability and personally would rather not have a date. It should be soon and that's good enough for me.

And speaking of WB, has anyone else noticed what a vacuum there now is in the spwaw community? Like there's something missing.

And gunny, I assume you noticed the smiley in my post about the "last" patch. I hope this is. I'd rather be playing than sitting around waiting for another.

Alby -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 8:04:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

Gunny are we to understand that Matrix (because it's a free game) won't give us a date?

We had two different dates
The end of march, then the end of April.
now it appears its the end of May
[:D]

Warrior2 -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/8/2004 11:51:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

hey Gunny, I know you're a bit caught in the middle over the whole 8.2 thing but it's a little unfair of MAtrix to use you as a buffer on this issue. With that in mind can we get some kind of 'official' word from Matrix about what the heck is happening with 8.2 and when the user base can expect to see it?

It's becoming painfully apparent that the delay and wall of silence from the top is pushing people away from the game. Can you pass this on to MG please and get them to make some kind of announcement that has a basis in reality???

I'm not gunning at you over this and know you're kinda caught in the crossfire but it's very disappointing to be told one thing and then let down and then just not to know what's happening at all? It's May 7th today and we still have no idea what's happening and perhaps worst of all, some of the very best scen and map designers are losing faith!

If MG intends to flush spwaw down the toilet then this is a good way of doing it[:@]

Anybody who expects Matrix will get something released exactly when they say it will happen hasn't been around the game very long. I can't remember one upgrade or patch that came out precisely when it was hoped. Stuff happens. And I seriously doubt very many of the designers are overly worried about the delay. I'm certainly not, and many in the community consider me a good designer.

VikingNo2 -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/9/2004 10:41:27 PM)

Hey I haven't tried this yet, please relaese it soon please[:D]

Orzel Bialy -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/9/2004 11:16:56 PM)

the new Estimated release date:

All you need is a Julian Calendar...since the Gregorian one seems not to be of much use. [:'(]

hellcat -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/9/2004 11:26:02 PM)

Steve,

I've known this game since the first version of steel panthers and know the computer games biz well enough having been in it since around the same time. I've always fought hard for customers to be given decent information and have seen many good game franchises go down through mishandling. I know for a fact a lot of designers are hanging fire on stuff. Deadlines in this biz are indeed a 'moveable feast' and there's no point giving it us til the thing is done, especially if this is the 'last patch'. I'm really not being hostile and it's only cuz I care about the game and community that If I see the situation as unfair it can be said. Yes I've been away and coming back I see things are very quiet and I spend time reading through threads I missed I form the impression things have soured a little in places for silly things that can and could have been avoided and MG giving us a realistic point on the horizon isn't so much to ask for. As a former producer / project manager I'm all too aware scheduling is a dark art it's true but this is only a patch not a full game development lifecycle we're talking about here and after all, it's nice to have something to look forward to!

hogg -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/9/2004 11:29:06 PM)

(hogg gets hit by a reality bubble)

Hey, guys - come on!

If you have paid good money to buy an MC from Matrix and it sucks, and the patch is slow in coming out, chew their behinds all you want!

But to complain about the tardiness of a free patch for a free game that they produce for free?

Biting the hand that feeds????[:-]

hogg -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/9/2004 11:39:47 PM)

Orzel Bialy -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/10/2004 5:09:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hogg

(hogg gets hit by a reality bubble)

Hey, guys - come on!

If you have paid good money to buy an MC from Matrix and it sucks, and the patch is slow in coming out, chew their behinds all you want!

But to complain about the tardiness of a free patch for a free game that they produce for free?

Biting the hand that feeds????[:-]

Hogg,

I respectfully disagree with that assessment of this thread.

The fact that people are asking for any sort of update about the patch is not and should not be seen as “biting the hand”. The statements here have not been offensive or abusive to any given member of the OoB team or MatrixGames in my opinion…and therefore should not be made out as overly negative.

Yes, some people are obviously a bit more “antsy” than others about getting their hands on the patch, but that’s only because it’s been so long in the making…has been touted as being a real improvement…and is admittedly a long way past it’s several original release dates.

I (for one) am one of those people that have placed all my work on hold until I can see what changes have been made and what effect they have on scenarios…and I am not the only one that I know of flying a “holding pattern”. This small segment of the community (designers) is nothing compared to the much larger segment that just want to see the patch’s effect on game play in general.

Therefore, if you ask me, Matrix should actually be happy to see people asking questions about the patch…it shows that there is still a strong interest in the game and that the community is still eagerly awaiting any news of the release. If people didn't ask about it, then that would be negative in my opinion...because it could mean that people didn't give a hoot anymore.

As the late Dale Earnhardt once told fellow NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon about some fans reactions towards certain drivers: “I don’t worry if they boo me…I would only start worrying if they didn’t say anything.”

hogg -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/10/2004 10:30:14 AM)

Orzel,

I fully understand, and agree, with your sentiments about people being eager for the update - and yes I feel bad for designers like yourself and jess etc feeling at a bit of a loss whilst putting new projects on hold.[&o]

I may have misread some of this thread, but I got the feeling that there was some unwarranted bitching going on - and that is what I was disappointed with.

I apologise if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick!

Cheers,

Hogg.

Orzel Bialy -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/10/2004 6:26:40 PM)

Hogg,

You don't have to apologize for anything...just spoke your mind about an issue and that's what forums are supposed to be about. I am glad to see that you didn't take my response as a personal attack or "slap down"...because that was never the intent of my post. It was merely my input on the issue at hand. [;)]

Goblin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/10/2004 11:02:24 PM)

Kiss, kiss, sissies.
[:'(]

Goblin

hogg -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/10/2004 11:43:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Kiss, kiss, sissies.

Goblin

Ahh, Jeeez - ok, gobster, I can understand the frustration of EXCELLENT designers like orzel, jess AND GOBLIN.[&o]

There.[8|]

Happy now????

Hey, orzel, no worries, mate - as the gobster will tell you, he first started cyber-stalking me 'cos of my politeness, not because of my skills and reputation as a grognard - muttermumblemutter - but I think that is because he is jealous of anyone with better social skills than himself.

panda124c -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/11/2004 1:25:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hogg

Ahh, Jeeez - ok, gobster, I can understand the frustration of EXCELLENT designers like orzel, jess AND GOBLIN.[&o]

There.[8|]

Happy now????

Hey, orzel, no worries, mate - as the gobster will tell you, he first started cyber-stalking me 'cos of my politeness, not because of my skills and reputation as a grognard - muttermumblemutter - but I think that is because he is jealous of anyone with better social skills than himself.

Hummm a Goblin with social skills. What an interesting concept.[:D]

Goblin -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/11/2004 3:13:07 AM)

I had one or two, but the damn things keep running away...[;)]

Goblin

Silencer -> RE: In Anticipation of 8.2 (5/11/2004 6:52:41 AM)

At present I only see one fix that definitely needs to be made and I mentioned it before, and it's not a database fix it's a visual fix. I can't play 8.x versions because the game overrides my gamma and brightness settings, and has none of it's own so I'm stuck trying hard to spot my light tan tanks on a dark green background. I just hope something has been done about this because I'd like to be able to enjoy 8 instead of living with 7 since most of my opponents have been able to upgrade happily.

And I can appreciate your position as a go between KG, I've been there and done that as it were and it's not fun because you cop the flak from both sides. If this fix has been done, or will be done I'll be eternally grateful, and my opponents screaming for mercy again. Ah I miss the smell of tank fuel in the morning. ;-)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI