Favorite Infantry Unit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Mangudai -> Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 12:15:16 AM)

This is a question for everybody. What is your favorite infantry unit to purchase? Weighing both combat power and cost. Obviously, you need different infantry for different tasks, but still everybody has a favorite right.

Mine is a tie:
US Ranger '45, equiped with an M9 Bazooka. (the similar unit in '44 has a SMG instead of a Garand, so I don't like it much)

or

USMC F*, with a flamethrower. (at a cost of 32 IIRC, its a great deal for a kick @ss unit)

Baron von Beer -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 12:26:12 AM)

For me I usually play as US & Germany. Favorite Infantry would then be Patatroops. Well trained, good firepower, and a hair faster than regular grunts. (And I am probably one of the few who likes having the zooks seperate from the squads. I like that extra flexibility. :) )

KG Erwin -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 1:39:35 AM)

Mangudai, we did some cost adjusting for the upcoming 8.2. The USMC F* squad now costs 36. We've made it more difficult to choose who are the best vis a vis cost, as it varies from nation to nation. You simply have to use your best judgement to choose the best forces for the task, which is as it should be.

This being said, the 1943 standardized USMC Raiders, at 32 points, give you Garands, BARsx3, Thompson SMGs, and hand grenades. With a speed of 11 and 10-man squads, these are a good buy, if you anticipate a lot of close-in infantry combat. However, these and the USMC Paras were disbanded in 1944 and folded into regular Marine units. 1943 USMC Para units are also not a bad deal, at 27 points, since they carry Garands, Reising SMGs, a few satchel charges and hand grenades. The downside is that these are only 8-man squads, so these are relatively fragile. This is the fun and frustration of choosing units.

rbrunsman -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 7:26:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

We've made it more difficult to choose who are the best vis a vis cost, as it varies from nation to nation. You simply have to use your best judgement to choose the best forces for the task, which is as it should be.

Biggest mistake in SPWAW history, as far as PBEM play is concerned. [:(]

Now newbies' heads will be spinning trying to figure out how to battle.[:-]

KG Erwin -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 7:45:12 AM)

Apart from the unit and formation corrections, the unit costs will be the biggest source of controversy. I think they are fine for solo and PBEM play. Hold off on your comments until it's released.

Jamminji -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/10/2004 8:44:53 PM)

I have to agree with RB, but will wait for the patch for final judgment.

I do not consider myself a newbie and I still don't know what some of the subtle (and not so subtle...lol) weapons differences are. If was nice to be able to think "hmmm this squad is 4 pts more for the same number of men... must be a bit better" Now I will think "hmmmm"...

jam

Svennemir -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 3:06:07 AM)

Tankodesantniki !

It just sounds too cool.

Mangudai -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 3:15:54 AM)

quote:

For me I usually play as US & Germany. Favorite Infantry would then be Patatroops. Well trained, good firepower, and a hair faster than regular grunts. (And I am probably one of the few who likes having the zooks seperate from the squads. I like that extra flexibility. :) )

The Paratroops are great riflemen, but why would you want the zooks separate? If tanks or halftracks see 'em and are more than 1 hex away you are screwed.

Also if your assaults fail, and your infantry winds up with 10-20 suppression, if you have satchel charges or a flamethrower you still have a chance to kill em with regular fire.

rbrunsman -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 4:35:12 AM)

I like the German PzGrenadiers. The ones with the rifle grenades. They rally like crazy for a regular unit. (It's too easy to say, "The US Rangers are my favorite." That's like saying, "I like the NY Yankees."[8|])

BlueLavender -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 7:47:11 AM)

my choice would be ... Tokubetsu Rikusentai, or commonly known in SPWAW as Japanese SNLF (Special Naval Landing Force)...

I'm stupid at counting cost, but with historical characteristic on, large number of men in squad, they are quite a tough nut to crack... :p

second option, would be the USMC marine... the rikusentai tough main rival :)

rgds

BL

stevemk1a -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 9:03:22 AM)

My own (admittedly twisted) choice is the Japanese 1945+ militia unit ...

Attacking the foe with bamboo spears and pottery grenades is kinda sad, but nothing is more satisfying than infiltrating these guys into a good location and going "Stone Age" on some expensive unit's ass ... [sm=00000622.gif]

Wuotan -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 1:14:55 PM)

Waffen-SS with Sturmgewehr 44 and Panzerfaust 100. Or the light japanese infantry...
always good for cracking tanks with hand-grenades. Works great with theyr knee-mor-
tars.

Greetings!

MOTHER -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 3:54:26 PM)

Without doubt a hq tent,in the right position for any purpose, highly resiliant and makes bad good an elite unstoppable.[X(]

Poopyhead -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 4:48:12 PM)

Simple, scouts. Scouts spot your favorite infantry and my tanks destroy them.

rbrunsman -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 7:43:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

Simple, scouts. Scouts spot your favorite infantry and my tanks destroy them.

"Come a little closer." said the spider (my infantry) to the fly (your tanks). [;)]

Baron von Beer -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 10:59:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangudai

The Paratroops are great riflemen, but why would you want the zooks separate? If tanks or halftracks see 'em and are more than 1 hex away you are screwed.

Also if your assaults fail, and your infantry winds up with 10-20 suppression, if you have satchel charges or a flamethrower you still have a chance to kill em with regular fire.

In a campaign, I will buy a battalion, so get an extra 9 zooks to distribute through the units.(Battalion assets) Since they aren't in the squads, the squads have an extra weapon (thompson, rifle grenade, or whatever) and the AT team is small and more easily concealed. Just my preference as I said. With 2 units I have one to engage soft targets or provide cover, while the zook team can try and hit the hard stuff.

FlashfyreSP -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 11:11:52 PM)

Have to be the MMG42 team, on a hill, with 30+ hex viz. The first...and LAST... sound most of your favorite infantry hears!

Mangudai -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 11:32:02 PM)

quote:

I like the German PzGrenadiers. The ones with the rifle grenades. They rally like crazy for a regular unit. (It's too easy to say, "The US Rangers are my favorite." That's like saying, "I like the NY Yankees." )

Well that's why you have to take cost into account, 40+ for a Ranger they better do twice as much as a regular infantry unit. And they do [&o]

I like the Cubs, they have some of the best hitting, best pitching, and fielding in the league. The only thing they can't do is win a World Series... [sm=nono.gif]

Belisarius -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/11/2004 11:47:21 PM)

Yeah I'll have to go with Flashfyre here. With open terrain - the MMG42, plus a sniper beside. There's nothing walking that will evade them, and they won't be spotted for a loooong time.

Forests? I'll go with anything armed to the teeth: Engineers, Raiders or - German spec ops. Expensive, but a single squad can easily handle platoons by its' own, and then kill the armor just for show. [X(]

rbrunsman -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/12/2004 7:40:36 AM)

I just remembered, in maps with lots of long LOS, there is a German MG42 unit in H2H.fr called the MG42 (Laf) trp. It costs about 50 pts, it has 9 men in it, IIRC. And, Oh My God!, can they tear up the soft units.

Jim1954, you remember our all airborne battle? I had a couple of these units on a hill and they tore everything apart that came within 20 to 25 hexes. Remember?

They're hard to find in the OOBs, but try them out. DEADLY!!!

FlashfyreSP -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/13/2004 3:36:04 AM)

A comparison:

• The MG42 (Laf) Trp/Grp in H2H has a FC of 6 and RgF of 3.
  • The MG42 MMG in SPWaW has a FC of 5 and RgF of 3.
  • The MG42 Lafette weapon in H2H has a Max Range of 120, Acc or 44, and HE Kill of 17.
  • The 7.92mm MG42 MMG weapon in SPWaW has a Max Range of 140, Acc of 52, and HE Kill of 14.

The Lafette is the heavy tripod assembly.

[sm=00000622.gif]

BlueLavender -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/13/2004 6:14:39 PM)

kinda agree in this one, and, based on my japanese friend story, maybe we can add to the oob , another japanese militia unit using katana sword (some japanese families at that time owned this weapon)...

then we all can re-play "Last Samurai" in SPWAW ... :)

rgds

BL

quote:

ORIGINAL: willy

My own (admittedly twisted) choice is the Japanese 1945+ militia unit ...

Attacking the foe with bamboo spears and pottery grenades is kinda sad, but nothing is more satisfying than infiltrating these guys into a good location and going "Stone Age" on some expensive unit's ass ... [sm=00000622.gif]

AbsntMndedProf -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/13/2004 7:52:35 PM)

While I'll always have a place in my heart for cavalry, especially in the desert where they leave no tracks, I like engineer units. Their rifles and mgs provide adequate punch against other foot units, and their close-in demo weapons can make short work of fixed defences and AFVs in a pinch.

Eric Maietta

VikingNo2 -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/13/2004 11:53:44 PM)

Welcom Back Mr Prof like your picture by the way

RockinHarry -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/19/2004 7:53:04 PM)

I like "infantry" units that have any sort of (long range) automatic/semi automatic weapon in their weapon slot nr.1 This could be the soviet SVT40 squad, the normal US M1 Garand squad, or any of the germans like FG42 paras, SS Gew41/43 or late war Stg44. You definitely donīt need any LMG in slot2 then, as slot1 automatics already should have done the killing job sufficiently. If not, the LMG would be of no use anyway as you would be required to shoot with it at a grounded/pinned enemy (infantry) unit.

For close quarters battles any SMG equipped units do the job nicely, but I usually prefer longer range for nr.1 weapon slot. For secondary infantry weapons, I like the common toys like satchel charges, AT mines and Fausts very much.

VikingNo2 -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/19/2004 9:48:35 PM)

Anything that bugs RB [:D][:D][:D]

funkiwi -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/20/2004 12:11:29 AM)

I like the latter NZSMG squads. Armed with 2in Mortars, SMG's, a bren and a Piat, these are good all round infantry. Unfortunately, I very rarely hit anything with a PIAT! Ok, and Brens are not the scary either. Oh what the heck, I like Rangers, too! The latter era Commandos are great - armed to the teeth and with an option of infiltrating. Please don't talk to me about USMC F*! Evildoing Deathbringers, the lot! [&o]

funkiwi -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/20/2004 12:13:15 AM)

Respect is what I mean, we lost our appetite for Borshch after meeting those Mothers!

rbrunsman -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/20/2004 12:44:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Anything that bugs RB [:D][:D][:D]

Hardy, harr, harr! Anything you're sporting on the field of battle bugs me. Unless it's those nice Brits with the Sten guns with a range of 2. I love those. I mean, I love it when my opponent has those. hehehe (I learned that lesson the hard way. But not so hard as my Skitroop lesson, G..Da.. Skitroops!! Now I'll be in a bad mood the rest of the day.)[;)] (skitroops, mumble, mumble, mumble...)

Frank W. -> RE: Favorite Infantry Unit (5/20/2004 3:02:19 AM)

rangers: M9 zook + M1 + good FC + exp + mor make them best opponents

also i like german fallschirmjaegers, they are 1 point faster then
SS IIRC.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI