A beginner's question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

hoki -> A beginner's question (5/29/2000 10:51:00 PM)

Hey all, This is the first "SP" type game I have played and I have a number of questions if anyone would be so kind as to help me. My first question is can you add to your core force at any time after you first make it. I just completed the first scenerio in the WWII campaign and had a number of "points" with which to upgrade my core force. However, can I add to my core force? If not, I am assuming it may be better to start with a mediocre, but numerically stronger core force in the beginning and upgrade as you go, comments? I was also wondering if those "buy points" you are awarded carry over through the campaign? So (hypothetically), if I utilize some of my buy points, but have a good number left, will they be "banked" for when I need them in the future (say at the end of a very bloody scenerio?)? Can you "fix" or buy additional units during a scenerio, or is it all done at the beginning? Can you change units in your core force? Say I am heavy on infantry and wanted to change them to a tank platoon or section, any chance? I appreciate any responses. So far I love the game and am trying to learn more, so all help is welcomed.

O de B -> (5/29/2000 11:51:00 PM)

Normally you can't add to your core, but i've read that there is a bug that allows you to change crews (when a tank is destroyed you have the crewmen apart) into infantry. It should be fixed in the patch ? Usually i rely on quantity rather than quality to buy my core at the beginning of a campaign. There are 2 major drawbacks to avoid: 1. One might need a few heavy tanks/weapons to overcome the first battles, so do not buy only armored cars to have more core units. 2. Since the total number of units in the game is fixed, if you have too many core units, you cannot buy enough support units. Say if the total number is 100, and you bought 95 core units, you will only be able to have 5 support units. Very very low... As far as i know, you can keep your points between battles. In the earlier SP series, you had always too many money, i have only played sceanrii in SpWaW so i don't know for the moment if it's still the case [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] You can change units to the same broad type (that are infantry; armored vehicles; Halftracks/APCs; Guns etc.) The only one that can bypass these rules is YOU (A0 unit, HQ), but making it an AFV will draw far more fire ...) If you want to change your whole core, i think you'll have to use a 3rd party editor, maybe Fred Chlanda's one.

Wild Bill -> (5/30/2000 12:01:00 AM)

I was told by Michael Wood, the programmer of SPWAW that a fix is coming where you can change your core force to whatever you want. In other words, you could change an infantry squad for a tank and vice-versa. You cannot do that now. You must stay in your class. The amount of extra points you get is determined by (1) your victory, (2) your losses, and (3) the amount of points needed to repair your damaged units. So it will vary. Good luck with the game, Hoki! Wild Bill ======== ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Charles22 -> (5/30/2000 8:02:00 PM)

Ah, still a considerable drawback to changing any unit into another, and that is that an infantry squad later changed into a tank, will still see the leader of the platoon rated for infantry, not for tanks, causing some adverse affect to the alien unit which would have functioned in relation to it's leader, better as the type of unit it was originally.

Grumble -> (6/2/2000 4:37:00 AM)

Once you build your forces you can't add to them. You can 'game' the system and buy a lot of so-so units but since the game limits your total (core and support) it's probably better to build your forces tactically, balancing armor, inf, arty and light/med/heavy units. Yes your points carry throughout your campaign. Note that as the war goes on, units become more expensive, and if you want to keep that veteran/elite crew who bailed out you have to rebuild their weapon system and then upgrade it. Otherwise you will get a brand new (and less experienced) crew. All repairs/reequips are done at the end of the scenario. As others have stated, you can't transfer completely from one type to another. IMHO this should stay this way. It forces you to think about what force mix you want going in-a realistic consideration for a kampfgruppe/RCT commander...

victorhauser -> (6/3/2000 4:46:00 AM)

Core Unit Changes... I think that the limitation Charles pointed out about leader ratings when changing unit types is a good thing and not a bad thing. I strongly believe that players should design their core forces with the length of the campaign in mind. The game should not reward players for making poor core choices early by allowing them to change willy-nilly into something else later. Also, with the exception of the A0, if a player changes "out of type" (say, from an infantry unit into an artillery unit) I believe that said unit should be penalized by a larger amount than normal. Currently I'm seeing a drop of from 6-10 experience points every time I change a unit into something else (this is based on my observations and might not be the exact range). That is a reasonable price to pay for an "in-type" unit change, but I would increase this penalty for "out of type" changes.

Hauptmann6 -> (6/3/2000 5:25:00 AM)

Agreed, although I do think that being able to reorganise your foces would be a good thing. Like when you start the war with US Armored Inf, in 43 they changes TO&E to get rid of the AT guns in the inf. Plts. and I would really like to be able to do that...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI