Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

BarkhornXX -> Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 1:51:06 AM)

So...having made up my mind to buy WitP upon release, should I get UV now?? Put yourself in my "newbie" shoes please.

Thanks,
Barkhorn.

Joel Billings -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 2:06:04 AM)

Of course we get money if you do, so I am biased. To me the arguement is that if you buy UV, you will learn the basic mechancis of a complicated game system in a smaller environment (less units, smaller map). Also the UV system has only about 2/3 of the orders options to give to units, so you will learn these easier. If you start with WitP, you will have much more to learn at once and will not understand as easily the interrelationship of some of these orders. Even playing a smaller scenario you may feel overwhelmed by the choices available. With UV, if you play a smaller scenario you will get a feel for the basics much quicker. The other advantage is you could get UV now and already know the basic system by the time WitP is out. Some things must be relearned in WitP as they are different from UV, but that's probably in the 10% range. I'd say WitP is 60% UV, 10% totally different from UV (i.e. what you know from UV needs to be radically adjusted) and 30% new. So with UV you get a very good start with something much more managable. You'll get a less biased opinion hopefully from some of the testers.

rogueusmc -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 2:13:12 AM)

Agreed.

Mr.Frag -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 2:24:06 AM)

Hmm, thats actually a tough question.

My logic is this: Since you have never played UV, you don't have any bad habits coming from it to WitP and may actually be better off then some folks who have played a lot of UV who are so used to certain things always happening that they will get creamed when it doesn't.

I don't want to take money out of Joel's pocket but I don't think there is enough time before WitP ships for you to learn UV.

My ratio of UV to WitP is completely different the Joel because I look at it from a play standpoint, not from what they did with the code.

33% from UV. (basically the interface to a certain extent although there are a lot of new things here too)

33% completely new. (the manual will pop your eyeballs out ... draft is 148 pages with *no* artwork

33% Player requested Improvements and Features which really fix *everything* that was either not right or missing from UV

Think about it from what you are willing to commit to for probably the largest game you will ever encounter in your life. I agree with Joel's comment that there is a lot to learn, but this forum comes equipped with a lot of people to ask questions when you do not understand things. If you have no turn based experience, yep, grab UV, WitP will put you in the looney bin in less then a week. If you are already a wargamer, you're used to being overwhelmed so it's a non-issue. [:D]

dwesolick -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 2:27:39 AM)

Buy both![:D] Matrix deserves the support and, if you are a true wargamer, you'll thank yourself in the end. Most of us posting in this forum have had UV for two years and are still playing it in some form or other. WitP promises many more years of great gameplay.

BarkhornXX -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 3:19:57 AM)

OK - I will order UV tomorrow and wait on WitP for a bit. I have already downloaded all patches/and the readme for 2.30 and I have downloaded a buch of stuff from a guy named Spooky's site. Do I need anything else?

Barkhorn.

2Stepper -> RE: Worth it to Buy UV w/ WitP So Close?? (6/7/2004 3:24:36 AM)

Nope, I think once you have UV in your hands you'll be cookin with gas... it's a great game that like is mentioned here sets the stage for the big "show". Cause that's sure what WiTP is going to be... BIG! The scale is huge and if you can get even a basic handle on UV, you'll be better off. Though equally so, good points are made by "bad" habits... From the looks of things you'll have about a month before WiTP ships and will likely be chomping at the bit not long afterwards to get it...

My gut feeling? Go with UV, then get WiTP like you said when you feel ready... I think you won't be unhappy about it in the least. [8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI