(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

AmmoSgt -> (12/17/2001 6:17:00 PM)

Going to a single tube .. should be a reasonably easy fix .. just add more tubes to the formations themselves .. Units single tube waepons .. formations multiple single tubes ...
Any as for now .. Germans 81mm and 120's are best at 2 tube units, eveything is in multiples of 2's and two tubes is the smallest needed
So a german comapny would get either
3 single 50mm distributed 1 per platoon up to December 1943 OR
1 Double tube 81mm at Company level (platoons get no Mortars) after Dec 1943 [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]

panda124c -> (12/17/2001 8:43:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt:
The more i look at this the more I am convinced that single mortars at comapany level is the way to go.. the 46mm, 50mm, 2 inch, and arguably the 60mm have a greater chance of being used in the direct fire mode, which in and of itself is an arguement for a single tube unit ... the Historical TO&E for most nations supports the 1 per platoon or 3 per company distribution in more cases than not, and doctrine usually supports the distribution of the Heavy Weapons platoon assets among the maneuver platoons. The 9 mortars per company is not historically supporatble. The 3 mortar per platoon structure definately messes with the already limited transportation situation . And massing the 3 mortars in a company pool interfers with the Platoon XO unit calling the fire of the Platoon Mortar. 9 Mortars organic to the company , apropiately priced is going to raise the cost of purchasing an organic company by about 150 points on average.
I advocate returning the 46mm, 50mm, and 2 inch infantry mortars to the version 6.1 format and possibly making the US 60mm mortar an single tube attached to platoon in the same fashion, And focus the efforts to create a doctinally sound "Mortar Battery" unit at Bn/ Weapons company and above issue.. and work from there bearing in mind that a transportaion unit capable hauling such a large structure may have to be created ... if that is problematic ..then lets just go to single tube for all onboard mortars. and live with the ahistorical aspects of being able to direct single tubes balanced by the restictions inherient with C&C.

From my reading I ususal see the American 60mm mortars kept close to the Company HQ to be used as support for any platoon that need it, rather than farmed out to each platoon. This is only possible because of the long range of the 60mm mortar as compared to other countries. What would be the effect of grouping the 60mm mortars (as seperate tubes) in a seperate platoon with a two man Platoon HQ. Would this put the mortars under the control of this HQ in the same manor as the platoon leader when the mortar is assigned to a platoon? Then you would have the option of farming them out to the platoons or using them at a company level. I personaly find the American 60mm mortar to be more effective at company level where I can concentrate their fire. But I like the seperate tubes. [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: pbear ]

panda124c -> (12/17/2001 9:11:00 PM)

quote:

Brian ?? where are you getting your TO&E info ??
There is an " Offical TO&E" in the Steel Panthers Folder Done by Scott Grasse .. I only mention this because it looks like you are trying to make this a little harder than it needs to be.. it looks like you are trying to Attach the Bn's Heavy Weapon Company Assets to the Platoons in some cases with those 81mm mortars .. which is fine by me .. but i just wanted to make sure thats what you wanted to do .. there is a case or two where a Company had some 81mm mortars of their own .. Panzer Greniders had 81mm's but no 50mm for example only two to the whole company and not assigned to the manuver platoon ..
I think if you look at the TO&E for the Germans the rule of thumb is going to be
3 50mm mortars at company level ( 1 per platoon ) and 6 81mm at Bn Level Hvy Weapons company for Bn up to end 1943 for a total in the whole Bn of 9 50mm and 6 81mm.s OR
After 43 2 81mm per company total and some 120mm at BN in the heavy weapon CO usually 4 plus some flak guns for a total of 6 81's and 4 120's for the Whole Bn.
if you have other sources fine .. but it looks like you might be trying to correct the mulitples without soild info so I just wanted you to know if you didn't ..there are TO&E's in the Steel Panther WAW Folder .. you need adobe acrobat to open them ..hope this helps

Late in the war 42 or 43 the Germans starting replacing their 50mm mortars with short barreled 81mm mortar with less range than the regular 81's. This was (rightly so) ignored in SPWaW because of the unit limitation. This maybe where the discrepence in the TO&E occures. It appears to me (and I've been wrong before) that some of the changes can be done in the Formations listing instead of the Unit listing, thus removing the necessity of adding anything to the Unit list.

richmonder -> (12/19/2001 8:55:00 AM)

Many thanks to Brian, AmmoSgt, Paul and the others working on the mortar situation. I hope you get this worked to a consensus for an OOB patch. It would be a shame to walk away from it with so much dialogue and inspection already done.

brianleeprice -> (12/19/2001 10:51:00 AM)

Still working on it Actually doing quite a bit of testing to see just how often simulating two tubes by ROF and ammo multiplication with a single tube results in weapon breakdown. It's pretty encouraging so far. Also testing a few alternatives like trying to compensate for single tube unit C&C point cost increase in plotting fires by using FO's as 'company' commanders for multisection batteries (where each section is a 'platoon' formation of two single tube units). Of course, if that solution was used, FO cost would need to be reduced a bit. Thanks,
Brian

AmmoSgt -> (12/19/2001 1:45:00 PM)

Had to work on some other stuff last two nights .. not the kinda situation where you can sit down and figure out OOB's , I will be back webnesday with the US Marines .. ok well at least the OOB Mortars LOL ..

richmonder -> (12/20/2001 7:16:00 AM)

Good, good. It seems that the two of you are the ones who'll get this done. I have not the knowledge for this, and not nearly the drive, but see it is a big issue. I do want to see it addressed and standardized, because it clearly has an effect on attack and transportation. And that sucks.

panda124c -> (12/21/2001 7:41:00 PM)

quote:

Ok Brian I just went back and looked at some of the other Nations you have posted ..
As a general rule a Infantry Company will have a total of 3 infantry mortars ... thats either 1 per platoon OR a seperate Hvy Platoon that has 3 infantry mortars ... NOT both .. total of only three in the whole company..
It looks like you are trying to do a little of both in many cases a couple 50mm/2in in each platoon AND a Heavy Platoon with more mortars for totals of 8 or 9 mortars to a company..
Things got a little crazy with this triple infantry mortar at platoon level and folks might be getting the idea that a company had 9 or 12 mortars or something ..it ain't so .. honest
Just three 50mm/2in/46GL/Knee mortars total for the whole company, either assigned 1 per platoon OR a heavy Platoon with all three in one unit ... this holds true across almost all nations.. some companies will have 2 81mm instead of the 3 50mm , in this case the 81's are best modeled by having them in the heavy weapons platoon only and the Infantry Platoons have NO mortar.
The Heavy weapons Company for the Battalion will have at most 6 81mm or 4 120/4.2 heavy mortars usually in Sections of 2 mortars each .. these could concevably be farmed out to The 3 Companys but they should not be inculded in the Companies themselves .. this too holds true as a general rule for almost all nationalities ..
The way things are currently, most Companys in the game are going to end up with more Mortars than a Battalion and are going to be very very expensive .

I do hope that the Italian Infantry Company is one of the exceptions since they have had nine mortars per company in SPWaW forever. I have not checked them since V7.0 was released.

Larry Holt -> (12/21/2001 9:16:00 PM)

Brian,
I played Ger vs. Pol with your mortar mods. There seems to be not much difference, perhaps its the way that I play. I did note that Pol 81mm's shooting at a vehicle at 10 hex first shot at 50% to hit. I replayed and got something like 27%, 33%, 47%, 47% 47%. The mortars have 0 accuracy. These % seem incompatable with the 0. That is to get a 50% I should need to be at 3 range IIRC. This seems a game engine question not a OOB issue though. I need to run some tests over the holidays. Happy Holidays to you and all!

brianleeprice -> (12/21/2001 10:06:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
Brian,
I played Ger vs. Pol with your mortar mods. There seems to be not much difference, perhaps its the way that I play. I did note that Pol 81mm's shooting at a vehicle at 10 hex first shot at 50% to hit. I replayed and got something like 27%, 33%, 47%, 47% 47%. The mortars have 0 accuracy. These % seem incompatable with the 0. That is to get a 50% I should need to be at 3 range IIRC. This seems a game engine question not a OOB issue though. I need to run some tests over the holidays. Happy Holidays to you and all!

Thanks for the data Larry There should be no difference in direct fire between the stock v7.0 light mortars and the v1.2 mortar mod light mortars. The difference is in indirect fire only. The only difference in indirect fire for light mortars should be that the rof increases to the correct value. For medium and heavy mortars, the stock v7.0 units have bad indirect fire accuracy from tubes in slots other than the first slot. The rate of fire is, however, correct. The v1.2 mortar mods maintain the same rof but currect the accuracy problem. Thanks,
Brian

brianleeprice -> (12/21/2001 10:31:00 PM)

On a seperate note, due to the limitations of the german OOB for units as well as the increased weapon breakdown rate with the v1.2 mortar mod OOBs - I've been investigating a possible single tube per unit solution that does not result in a huge C&C problem - depending, of course, on the exact playing style and unit mixture. Here's how it works for medium and large mortars (note that light mortars have slightly different issues involved): #1 All mortars are restored to their v6.1 unit configuration *but* retain the v7.0 cost adjustments (scaled for number of tubes). #2 A new (if necessary and sometimes hidden from purchase screen depending upon the individual OOB) formation is created for each class of mortar. This formation is a platoon with a single mortar unit. #3 Non artillery formations which previously had multi-tube sections of mortars attached will have them removed. #4 Sections, batteries, and platoon formations of mortars are now actually companies of the appropriate number of single unit 'platoons' led by a forward observer. This means that directing fire using the C&C points of the mortar itself (self directed fire) has the same ratio as did v6.1. In addition, the increased rank of the FO increases the C&C points available for the FO to call in fire on a point within LOS. (albiet 'recharge' time is longer than the equivalent v6.1 situation). There are some unresolved issues though - the cost and rarity of forward observers may need adjusted to compensate, and this may well need to be dependant on each nation's artillery doctrine. The main benefit of going this route is that we get correct rof, correct accuracy, correct weapons breakdown rate, and fairly close to v6.1 C&C cost ratios (again depending on artillery mix and playing style). The alternatives are to either stick with the stock v7.0 solution and have bad accuracy from all but the first tube in each unit *or* to use the v1.2 Mortar Mod solution and have a greatly increased chance of losing mortar units to weapon's breakdown. Please let me know which you prefer. Thanks,
Brian [ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Price ]

James Rapkins -> (12/22/2001 1:32:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price: The alternatives are to either stick with the stock v7.0 solution and have bad accuracy from all but the first tube in each unit *or* to use the v1.2 Mortar Mod solution and have a greatly increased chance of losing mortar units to weapon's breakdown. Please let me know which you prefer.

hmm, I would think having inaccurate mortars is better than having no mortars. Keep up the good work, you glutton for punishment anyone would think you were OMNIpotent cheers Digger

richmonder -> (12/22/2001 4:50:00 AM)

YEAH, Brian. As far as I can tell, your alternative is the best I can see (which is probably not saying much - sorry!). hehe Unless someone can point out some hideous error in that idea, then I am all for it. v6.1 mortar situation was not ideal; v7.0 stinks. Your idea seems the best there is. I really admire your determination. [quivering voice]: I'll never forget you, Brian, and all your hard work.

panda124c -> (12/24/2001 11:42:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price:
On a seperate note, due to the limitations of the german OOB for units as well as the increased weapon breakdown rate with the v1.2 mortar mod OOBs - I've been investigating a possible single tube per unit solution that does not result in a huge C&C problem - depending, of course, on the exact playing style and unit mixture. Here's how it works for medium and large mortars (note that light mortars have slightly different issues involved): #1 All mortars are restored to their v6.1 unit configuration *but* retain the v7.0 cost adjustments (scaled for number of tubes). #2 A new (if necessary and sometimes hidden from purchase screen depending upon the individual OOB) formation is created for each class of mortar. This formation is a platoon with a single mortar unit. #3 Non artillery formations which previously had multi-tube sections of mortars attached will have them removed. #4 Sections, batteries, and platoon formations of mortars are now actually companies of the appropriate number of single unit 'platoons' led by a forward observer. This means that directing fire using the C&C points of the mortar itself (self directed fire) has the same ratio as did v6.1. In addition, the increased rank of the FO increases the C&C points available for the FO to call in fire on a point within LOS. (albiet 'recharge' time is longer than the equivalent v6.1 situation). There are some unresolved issues though - the cost and rarity of forward observers may need adjusted to compensate, and this may well need to be dependant on each nation's artillery doctrine. The main benefit of going this route is that we get correct rof, correct accuracy, correct weapons breakdown rate, and fairly close to v6.1 C&C cost ratios (again depending on artillery mix and playing style). The alternatives are to either stick with the stock v7.0 solution and have bad accuracy from all but the first tube in each unit *or* to use the v1.2 Mortar Mod solution and have a greatly increased chance of losing mortar units to weapon's breakdown. Please let me know which you prefer. Thanks,
Brian [ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Price ]

Brian what effect in the C&C commands, and indrect fire does using the two man recon section as the HQ unit, for the mortars platoons, have as opposed to a modified FO?
I have been using this solution with every mortar unit being made up of single tubes and a HQ section(scout section) for company level platoons HQ's. This is very useful since it keeps the platoon slot open for re-assigning heavy weapons between rifle platoon and heavy weapons platoons.

brianleeprice -> (12/25/2001 12:18:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by pbear:

Brian what effect in the C&C commands, and indrect fire does using the two man recon section as the HQ unit, for the mortars platoons, have as opposed to a modified FO?
I have been using this solution with every mortar unit being made up of single tubes and a HQ section(scout section) for company level platoons HQ's. This is very useful since it keeps the platoon slot open for re-assigning heavy weapons between rifle platoon and heavy weapons platoons.

The main difference is that using an FO instead of a scout team as a mortar battery 'company' commander is that the FO can be used to call in a fast response mortar strike on a point within his LOS. This gets both the fast FO response and the observer in los bonus. A scout team would, I think, have a longer response time for strikes called within his LOS. Note: after testing and analysis I'm only going to provide FO commanders for batteries/platoons of mortars (not sections). Right now I'm doing the final case study for applying this solution across the board to all OOBs. I do expect to have an objection or two raised (esp with the Soviet Union OOB) concerning possible violation of FO availability/doctrine. I think though we get into some larger issues (beyond just mortars) the moment we start dabbling in those waters. Thanks,
Brian

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI