RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Mr.Frag -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/17/2004 6:53:39 PM)

quote:

complete a single scenerio of BoB

Don't install the patch and go straight for all the power plants. Game ends in two days with a German Victory. Always did love my strategy there. [;)]

brisd -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/17/2004 7:23:39 PM)

Back to the topic in question, I loved WIR and would buy a modern version of it. Glad to see 2by3 has it listed on their website. One question? Does anyone recall the scale of WIR? Was it 10 miles per hex as the proposed WIR? Thanks.

Blackwatch_it -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/17/2004 8:35:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brisd

Back to the topic in question, I loved WIR and would buy a modern version of it. Glad to see 2by3 has it listed on their website. One question? Does anyone recall the scale of WIR? Was it 10 miles per hex as the proposed WIR? Thanks.

20 miles

sven6345789 -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/17/2004 11:03:40 PM)

on topic: war in russia anew? count me in!!

off topic (well a little bit): yeah, what about "Battle of the Atlantic"?

in the old wir, you had the italian and western fronts automated with a system that worked quite good in my opinion;
you could automate the land combat units this way, making air groups available as the historical situation allows; could include the med; the disadvantage-> You wouldn't have any real control over the course of the war; there would have to be some kind of victory points regarding loaded transports; sinking a lot will slow down allied build-up and might therefore postpone major offensives in the east and west against the germans. Would end up in an abstract system.
But, this is just fiction (As is a WW1 scenario, although...)
I would buy UV Med too any time.

ladner -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 1:00:01 AM)

I have waited a long time for one of these the next War In Russia threads to take off. I had tried to start a discussion like this on numerous times in the War In Russia by Matrix forum, but the threads always ended up stillborn. Enough ego, and back on topic YES! YES ! YES! PLEASE with regard to a War In Russia Remake, or to use the picture is worth a thousand words paradigm [&o]

Onime No Kyo -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:04:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

Real time is bad for this type of game.

Indeed! "Fighting Steel" proved that. Trying to simotaniously monitor up to 20 ships sucked.

Turn based is the only way to go. Warship/Battlecruiser's system has IMHO never been bested in terms of putting the player in the middle of the action.

Hey, Fighting Steel was a great game. The intro and menu screens were awesome. But it just crashed after that. [:D]

Serriously, FS was not that bad. It just takes some getting used to. I was just giving the old Close Combat 3 another run, and its still a great game. Realtime just tends to keep you on your toes.

tigercub -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:23:58 AM)

sure bring it on!

tigercub -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:29:36 AM)

germany all fronts div level my type of game just like witp with a lot better land combat ....

Ron Saueracker -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:05:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartley

Sure, but what is the commercial potential of any wargame not involving US forces ?

Sad but true in many respects.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:10:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

Real time is bad for this type of game.

Indeed! "Fighting Steel" proved that. Trying to simotaniously monitor up to 20 ships sucked.

Turn based is the only way to go. Warship/Battlecruiser's system has IMHO never been bested in terms of putting the player in the middle of the action.

Hey, Fighting Steel was a great game. The intro and menu screens were awesome. But it just crashed after that. [:D]

Serriously, FS was not that bad. It just takes some getting used to. I was just giving the old Close Combat 3 another run, and its still a great game. Realtime just tends to keep you on your toes.

FS's AI was crap and the online game was totally unstable. Never got passed the first minute or so. I still enjoy BoB but the AI was weak as well; should have been able to extend the campaign past the first checkpoint.

Mr.Frag -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:10:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

Sure, but what is the commercial potential of any wargame not involving US forces ?

I think that is why Microsoft dumped the CC series after doing Russia, they were not too happy about the sales numbers, yet the first two sold like hotcakes because they had usa troops. 3 was by far the best of the set with the greatest ranges of them all but it still did poorly.

Non-USA I think cuts out the semi-grogs and just leaves the pure grog market. It also probably kills the mistaken purchases (where mom goes to buy billy a present and picks up something that looks good and interesting.)

Ron Saueracker -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:18:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Never played it before, but HPS Simulations (the guys that make Panzer Campaigns) have a tactical PC game based on Jutland. Looks like you can control the entire fleets on either side, etc. Can't vouch whether it's good or not since tactical really isn't my cup of tea.

Here is the link to their website: hps games

They also have Tsushima and Guadalcanal at the tactical level.

They all blow chunks...I know, I wasted money on all three in a mass spree hoping for the best.[:(]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 4:27:38 PM)

Sod the Med, we want a new WIR![:-]

Reichenberg -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 5:46:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Sod the Med, we want a new WIR![:-]

I am in 100% agreement - but was just not couragous enough to post something like this in the midst of all these naval grogs here [;)]

My focus is definitely on the land combat! But WitP will be on my HD anyhow.

Uwe

Mr.Frag -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 5:50:59 PM)

ACK!!! Land Grogs!!! Call in the Marines!!! Death to Army! Navy Rules!

quote:

but was just not couragous enough to post something like this in the midst of all these naval grogs here

There, did it for you [:'(]

Lucifuge -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 6:06:58 PM)

Id give my first born, my wife AND my dog to Matrix for a new WiR!

Damien Thorn -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 6:43:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

I don't think so. Maybe it's because I almost never play the US (except in revolutionary war scenarios or Nato vs USSR scenarios) but I think most people who play the US would be very happy playing either Germany or the Soviets.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 6:50:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucifuge

That's taking it to far! nobody should give away their dog.[:-]

Blackwatch_it -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:00:02 PM)

quote:

quote:

wife gone time ago with first born and dog, but I will find something interesting to offer Matrix for the new WiR[sm=00000619.gif]

Stavka_lite -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:04:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

How about a cat?

Lucifuge -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:17:11 PM)

quote:

That's taking it to far! nobody should give away their dog.

Hey we all have to make sacrifices sometimes and if my dog has to make this one so I may wage war on Russia then so be it! He is a loyal pet after all. Man how greedy are we, we havent even gotten WiTP copies yet and we already want more...

kev_uk -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:21:19 PM)

WiR is cool, but wouldnt some other theatre be more interesting? The med sounds fantastic, at least its not been widely covered, such as the Eastern Front?

Then again, I did get widely excited about RTM, and look what happened to that? [:(]

Personally I would leave an updated WiR till after a med game, as it will be new ground and I think far more exciting than a soviet-german slugfest which the soviets will always will...

freeboy -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 7:38:00 PM)

RTM?

blam0 -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 10:03:04 PM)

I'd love to see a new WiR!!!!

Jonny_B -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 11:09:06 PM)

[;)][;)][;)]

Army Infantry Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see a war game like High Command, only rebuilt by Matrix and 2by3 gamers, a game encompassing the entire European Theatre, North Africa, Atlantic Ocean, middle east, most of Russia and the northern Norway, Sweden Finland areas.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 11:15:03 PM)

I did the exact same thing. I remember getting that sinking "the others are just like this one" feeling after I loaded Jutland first. Looking through the various ships in Tsushima just to the see the various armament and capabilities was interesting though.

kev_uk -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/18/2004 11:32:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

RTM?

The infamous 'road to moscow'......

Onime No Kyo -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/19/2004 9:16:39 AM)

I think its time I chimed in on this one. I would LOVE to see a game that encompases all of Europe, Scandinavia, Russia and Med/N. Africa. But I dont think there can be any talk of using the WitP engine for anything. In a game that has little or nothing to do with either airpower or naval affairs (respectively), the WitP land combat style would suck. You would get TOAW all over again and I shudder at the mere thought. So the whole thing will have to be created essentially from scratch (although you can keep the air combat aspect).

I think Matrix could pop out a quickie Med game with minimal effort. But this would be an anticlimax after WitP, like going back to UV after the "big game".

But unless Matrix is averse to making a a few bucks, I say give us a Med game and then throw all your effort (hopefully with all present participants) into an all-Europe game.

Becket -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/19/2004 9:20:32 AM)

Count me in for War in Russia. I want to take a stab at making Operation Mars succeed, or (on the other side) breaking Sixth Army out of Stalingrad early to see if it's possible to save them (doubt it).

Tactical fleet action would be interesting, but my tactical land-based dance card is filled up with Combat Mission (BB and AK). No RTS, please, but WE-GO would rock.

Becket -> RE: How many would like to see a new and update WiR (6/19/2004 9:25:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk
Personally I would leave an updated WiR till after a med game, as it will be new ground and I think far more exciting than a soviet-german slugfest which the soviets will always will...

Why would the Soviets always win? IMO, the Germans can acheive a knockout blow by taking Moscow or the Caucasus region (rules would need to assume that the Soviet government doesn't escape Moscow prior to its fall, though). It should be hard, but possible. If the Germans fail to achive victory by the end of 42, then the juggernaut is coming, and it's more a matter of how long can you hold out.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI