Digital download? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

pad152 -> Digital download? (6/18/2004 8:27:48 AM)

Digital download?

Will all Matrix Games be available for Digital download?

David Heath -> RE: Digital download? (6/18/2004 10:43:43 AM)

We are quickly working on doing just that. Some publisher may not want to start doing that right away so there might be a few hold outs.

David

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Digital download? (6/18/2004 3:31:35 PM)

David this counts for a few hoped for upcoming potential purchases, is the digital download for games routinely less than the cost of the full out physical item?

Yes I am aware of cd on demand being an additional cost. But I am assuming you might still sell in a conventional retail box form. Or is the retail shelf approach being phased out in general?

Marc von Martial -> RE: Digital download? (6/18/2004 4:44:28 PM)

It depends on the game, some go retail, some not.

Tomus -> RE: Digital download? (6/18/2004 6:57:03 PM)

Will major releases like Crete or Battles in Normandy get the full box treatment? I like boxes tbh and wouldn't be all that happy with just a download..[:)]

Marc von Martial -> RE: Digital download? (6/18/2004 7:10:18 PM)

You will have the option to order:

1. download only
2. download + CD on demand
3. download + boxed version

from early August on.

Note on 2. and 3. nobody is forcing you to actually do the download. You can if you want.

GameTester -> RE: Digital download? (6/21/2004 12:59:03 AM)

Are you going to add UV as an DD option as well?

David Heath -> RE: Digital download? (6/21/2004 3:39:21 AM)

Once we sell out we will consider it.

daz1333 -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 3:07:25 AM)

hello all. These people are an absolute disgrace. I have had multiple problems trying to download a game I purchased. I've had nothing but the same response over and over again. None of these responses has assisted me in downloading the game despite my continued feedback. In addition to this, they outright refuse to offer a refund or even provide a hard copy. They also have this stupid policy of disallowing any further attempts to download after 30 days, which means that I am now unable to continue to try and solve the problem. So basically beware; these people will defraud you of your money.

Scott_WAR -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 3:10:45 AM)

Well, Matrix absolutely will bend over backwards to try and help you, as MANY people will tell you. Just wait you will see :)
Now the actual digital distributor, digital rivers I believe, is a different matter. I have had no issues downloading from them so cant comment on their customer support. But you arent the first I have heard of with issues.

vonRocko -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 4:15:10 AM)

quote:

In addition to this, they outright refuse to offer a refund or even provide a hard copy.

This is why I always order the physical copy with the download.
I hope Matrix never eliminates the physical copy option.[:-]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 5:07:18 AM)

daz,

Please see my reply to you in the Digital River thread. Thanks.

Regards,

- erik

RyanCrierie -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 5:14:02 AM)

Question regarding digital downloads; is it possible to re-buy the rights for DD for a fee of like $5-6 or so in case you lose your original downloaded file, or the game discs; and Matrix still has your customer information on file?

V22 Osprey -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 5:17:20 AM)

Wait...isn't this why you register your games?

RyanCrierie -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 5:20:15 AM)

I've got all my games backed up, and I think most of them are registered. But you never know...

V22 Osprey -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 5:29:16 AM)

Oh, I see what you're saying.

I've got 2 or 3 copies of my game setup files and serial numbers on my flashdrives, my laptop harddrive and my desktop hardrive plus have em all registered....It would take alot for me to completely lose my games.[:D]

Greybriar -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 8:56:41 AM)

I have never purchased a game via digital download. Nor do I plan on doing so. I have all my PC games in the retail boxes they were in when I bought them.

Just thought I would post this to let Matrix know that not all of us spend our money on digital downloads.

Scott_WAR -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 11:19:06 AM)

Why change to what is undoubtedly the next format for distributing games? Who needs progress? Hell, we should have never invented the car,...the horse was good enough. Antibiotics,....never should have been  made the first place,....leeches and bleeding were fine,.....if you were an undertaker they were actually good for business.

The world changes, you can change with it or get left behind.

hadberz -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 12:08:08 PM)

Ryan
Digital River has the download option for a few bucks, but I never take it. If you keep your order info the download will still be there. I just entered mine for spwaw ge and it still downloads. I ordered this 2 years ago. I'm sure they could change this at anytime, so I do burn every game to several dvds.

Now days I very rarely buy games on disc. Steam, Impulse, GoG games, Matrixgames digital downloads have all worked flawless for me.

Terminus -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 1:09:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: daz1333

hello all. These people are an absolute disgrace. I have had multiple problems trying to download a game I purchased. I've had nothing but the same response over and over again. None of these responses has assisted me in downloading the game despite my continued feedback. In addition to this, they outright refuse to offer a refund or even provide a hard copy. They also have this stupid policy of disallowing any further attempts to download after 30 days, which means that I am now unable to continue to try and solve the problem. So basically beware; these people will defraud you of your money.

Incorrect.

Greybriar -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 1:39:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

Why change to what is undoubtedly the next format for distributing games? Who needs progress? Hell, we should have never invented the car,...the horse was good enough. Antibiotics,....never should have been  made the first place,....leeches and bleeding were fine,.....if you were an undertaker they were actually good for business.

Some of us gamers don't have internet access. Others only have dial-up. And what with Time-Warner Cable (for one) checking out the possibility of charging its cable subscribers based on usage instead of a set monthly fee, the increased cost of a monthly cable connection may increase dramatically.

So what part of the future are you referring to? I think you might do well to take your own advice.

Scott_WAR -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 1:54:58 PM)

Actually you have a valid point Greybriar........ add to it that war gamers are the type of people that typically dont need high speed access since most muiltiplayer games they play are PBEM.

When a high speed access ISP goes with charging based on usage they almost always see the same results. A loss in customers, and an increase in competitiors.

One of the key areas that is being looked at to trim fat off of the price of video games is the digital download. It completely does away the costs of the production of CD's/DVD's, the box, the manual, the insert that goes in the box or the artwork on the box, warehouse space, inventory management, damages-which always happen when dealing with a physical product, products being lost in shipping....etc. There is a LOT of money to be saved there.  However, as you pointed high speed access is not everywhere quite yet, so there would be lost sales. The question is are the lost sales made up for by the lower cost of production? Im not an exert so I cant say,....but it sure seems more and more games are available as downloads everyday, and it also seems like the number of games ONLY available as downloads is growing every day.

But I will concede the points you made, the future isnt quite here for the doing away with cd's and boxes. Yet.

Phatguy -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 3:15:08 PM)

quote:

Actually you have a valid point Greybriar........ add to it that war gamers are the type of people that typically dont need high speed access since most muiltiplayer games they play are PBEM.

When a high speed access ISP goes with charging based on usage they almost always see the same results. A loss in customers, and an increase in competitiors.

One of the key areas that is being looked at to trim fat off of the price of video games is the digital download. It completely does away the costs of the production of CD's/DVD's, the box, the manual, the insert that goes in the box or the artwork on the box, warehouse space, inventory management, damages-which always happen when dealing with a physical product, products being lost in shipping....etc. There is a LOT of money to be saved there.  However, as you pointed high speed access is not everywhere quite yet, so there would be lost sales. The question is are the lost sales made up for by the lower cost of production? Im not an exert so I cant say,....but it sure seems more and more games are available as downloads everyday, and it also seems like the number of games ONLY available as downloads is growing every day.

But I will concede the points you made, the future isnt quite here for the doing away with cd's and boxes. Yet.

And yet 99% of games that are direct download cost the same as ones that have a box and the travesty that passes for a paper manual these days.....Yes, companies save oodles of cash doing direct download but we really dont see any savings attached. Same price, different distribution.....

Scott_WAR -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 4:26:36 PM)

But of course, very rarely is the money saved by an increase in efficiency passed along to the consumer.

David Heath -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 6:14:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I have never purchased a game via digital download. Nor do I plan on doing so. I have all my PC games in the retail boxes they were in when I bought them.

Just thought I would post this to let Matrix know that not all of us spend our money on digital downloads.

We never expected everyone to do this but it is here to stay. We do offer a box version for those who do not want to or can't download one of our products.

David

David Heath -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 6:17:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Question regarding digital downloads; is it possible to re-buy the rights for DD for a fee of like $5-6 or so in case you lose your original downloaded file, or the game discs; and Matrix still has your customer information on file?

Hi Ryan

I can not re-buy the rights but you can purchase the download insurance but that has to be done at the time of purchase. This will allow you to download the game for an extended period of time after you purchase the game.

David

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 7:57:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

Some of us gamers don't have internet access. Others only have dial-up. And what with Time-Warner Cable (for one) checking out the possibility of charging its cable subscribers based on usage instead of a set monthly fee, the increased cost of a monthly cable connection may increase dramatically.

So what part of the future are you referring to? I think you might do well to take your own advice.

That's not good news. As it is, TWC is overcharging for it's cable internet service to subsidize it's VoIP giveaway. They are so desparate to get the land line business they give their bundling away. I have to pay for a boat load of channels that I will never watch because they group them so we pay for a lot of crud that nobody would otherwise want to get on ehtat you do want. Of course there is no optional 'pick your channels' package that would allow you to get what you want and only what you want.

If they try and dig me for more $$ for RR service I'm gonna dump them like a hot rock.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 8:00:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

quote:

And yet 99% of games that are direct download cost the same as ones that have a box and the travesty that passes for a paper manual these days.....Yes, companies save oodles of cash doing direct download but we really dont see any savings attached. Same price, different distribution.....

Exactly why you should have both, for now anyway. Until they start jacking the price of physical copy over DL, I'll take both.

cantona2 -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 8:27:26 PM)

Im hoping AE will be digital download.

2ndACR -> RE: Digital download? (1/15/2009 9:23:53 PM)

If you can get Verizon FIOS, jump on it......it beats anything TWC has to offer. Never goes down and never had a single glitch. Super fast internet speeds.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI