Problem w/ ver.7.0! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Supervisor -> Problem w/ ver.7.0! (12/24/2001 12:40:00 AM)

Ok, now that I have everbody's attention.
I have a problem w/ 7.0, where everytime I try and return to a saved scenario, that has been saved after the battle is over, but before I start deploying for the next one, the program crashes. Saves during turns of battles are fine.
Any fixes for this yet?
Anyway to uninstall and revert to 6.?? whatever the last one was???
Thanx all!!

Warrior -> (12/24/2001 12:53:00 AM)

Did you try deleting steel.prf, rebooting, amd restarting the game?

Supervisor -> (12/24/2001 12:57:00 AM)

nope, haven't tried that yet.
a) where can I find that?
b) what does it do? Does it fix that bug specifically, or is it a general fix??
Thanx!

chief -> (12/24/2001 1:17:00 AM)

Klaus von S.....go to explorer, under C, matrix games, Steel Panthers waw, open save folder, highlite steel prf and delete. This will clear all preferences from game and should put them in default status, then you can put in preferances you now desire when you start new game...HTH

Redleg -> (12/24/2001 1:18:00 AM)

Steel.prf lives in the /SAVE folder. I pays to delete that rascal anytime weirdness is observed. Not a bad idea to delete it once in a while when there are no problems. It is a general "fix" that solves a lot of problems. The preferences you choose are stored in this file so when you delete it, it is necessary to reset your preferences because everything will return to default the next time you load the game.

Supervisor -> (12/24/2001 1:20:00 AM)

Ok, thank you very much guys.
Will try that...

Supervisor -> (12/24/2001 1:28:00 AM)

ok, I deleted steel.prf, rebooted, reloaded the game but it still doesn't solve the problem.
Same problem...
weird...

Warrior -> (12/24/2001 3:19:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Klaus von Stauffenberg:
Ok, now that I have everbody's attention.
I have a problem w/ 7.0, where everytime I try and return to a saved scenario, that has been saved after the battle is over, but before I start deploying for the next one, the program crashes. Saves during turns of battles are fine.
Any fixes for this yet?
Anyway to uninstall and revert to 6.?? whatever the last one was???
Thanx all!!

It sounds like you're in a campaign. Did you upgrade in the middle of it?? That's never a good idea, if so. However, the easiest fix is: Don't save when battle is over, then leave game. Do you next deploy first, save, and return to there. (You might also try starting the game directly from mech.exe, instead of going through the opening credits, etc. Mech.exe is in the Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World At War folder. Double click and the game will start. I always copy it to my desktop as a shortcut.)

Green Jacket -> (12/24/2001 6:58:00 AM)

Got the same problem, started with v7. Save during battles only is the safe way around it, but I like to see the type of engagement before I fight it! The reason for this is that I don't like meeting engagements; the AI is woefully lacking in the techniques of retreat and counter attack that are necessary to provide a challenge. I can never resist the temptation to sit back and defend, while the AI commits suicide in a frontal assault. After 12 turns or so, it only leaves a quick mopping up, and another decisive victory in the bag!

Supervisor -> (12/24/2001 7:09:00 AM)

Yes, I've noticed that too, it does get boring after a while, when you can play a 15 turn scenario in 60 mins!

quote:

Originally posted by Green Jacket:
Got the same problem, started with v7. Save during battles only is the safe way around it, but I like to see the type of engagement before I fight it! The reason for this is that I don't like meeting engagements; the AI is woefully lacking in the techniques of retreat and counter attack that are necessary to provide a challenge. I can never resist the temptation to sit back and defend, while the AI commits suicide in a frontal assault. After 12 turns or so, it only leaves a quick mopping up, and another decisive victory in the bag!

Supervisor -> (12/24/2001 8:38:00 AM)

Yes, I've noticed that too, it does get boring after a while, when you can play a 15 turn scenario in 60 mins!

quote:

Warrior -> (12/24/2001 11:26:00 AM)

You guys can still pick the type of engagement you want. Save at the end of the battle, but the stay with the game for the next deploy. Repair and upgrade, then at the support purchase screen can tell you the type of mission. If you don't like it, purchase maybe two units, go to the deploy screen, then save and quit. Now go back to the end of the battle save and repeat, trying for a new type of engagement. I've done this numerous times with many versions and never a crash. (In fact, I set save points for the deploy screen, another when I'm fully deployed, for start turn, end turn, "in progress," end battle, etc.) If you save at the end of each turn, before the AI takes its turn, you can always go back to that and replay the last turn of the battle and then continue to purchase, etc., hopefully without your crashes.

Lars Remmen -> (12/24/2001 2:51:00 PM)

Hi, Is this save game insect happening in all Windows versions? I know it happens to me in WinXP Pro DK. Merry Christmas, Lars

Christian Blex -> (12/24/2001 8:54:00 PM)

I´ve posted the same problem in the Tech Support forum. More strange the problem does only occur in World War Two Campaigns. There is no problem in user-made campaigns. I got the problem on to different computers, one of them runs Win ME, the other one Win 98 SE. Frohe Weihnachten,
Christian

Larry Holt -> (12/24/2001 11:16:00 PM)

This was a problem befrore ver 7. I did a complete reinstall of 7 (thanks to a hard drive crash) and started my campaigns fresh. I have not had this problem occur in 7 since I reinstalled. Can anyone who has this problem try starting a new campaign and see if this occurs. If you want to save time in a test, set the preferences to 250 for you and 30 for the AIP then run through and save. I bet that you can restart from where you cannot now.

Christian Blex -> (12/26/2001 4:07:00 AM)

Well, started my campaign after I had upgraded to ver7.0 . Then I noticed the problem. I don't now if this does happen with ver.6.1, as I never played a World War Two campaigns with it.

Warrior -> (12/26/2001 4:16:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Christian:
Well, started my campaign after I had upgraded to ver7.0 . Then I noticed the problem. I don't now if this does happen with ver.6.1, as I never played a World War Two campaigns with it.
Try what Larry said: Delete the game totally off your computer and start again from installing v5.1, and upgrading to v7.

Panther_II -> (12/26/2001 4:53:00 AM)

problems here too! sometimes the mose is set to rightklick with both buttons and i get a message that says "waithing for players something" and a clock appears in the corner the tanks are destroyed but the message never appears! and so on!

Green Jacket -> (12/27/2001 5:50:00 AM)

Having just got XP(running 98 before), I made the painful decision that it was time for a re-format and a fresh start. Did this a week before getting v7, and until upgrading had no problems. With v7, I cannot save from the end of battle screens. As this is only my 2nd post, I don't want to give the impression I just complain: Thankyou Matrix for the best wargame I have ever played! And for free, damn your eyes!!

Warrior -> (12/27/2001 6:39:00 AM)

quote:

Having just got XP(running 98 before), I made the painful decision that it was time for a re-format and a fresh start. Did this a week before getting v7, and until upgrading had no problems. With v7, I cannot save from the end of battle screens. As this is only my 2nd post, I don't want to give the impression I just complain: Thankyou Matrix for the best wargame I have ever played! And for free, damn your eyes!!
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. For everybody having this problem, remember the words of Clint Eastwood in the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "We adapt and overcome." If you know the game is going to crash if you do a certain thing, don't do that thing.

mogami -> (12/27/2001 6:58:00 AM)

Greetings
In long WW2 Camp 2nd battle everytime game crash
"waiting for all players to sync (in solotaire mode?) set up 3 different long Camps and always get this crash on turn 6 of second battle

Lars Remmen -> (12/27/2001 2:34:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Warrior:
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. For everybody having this problem, remember the words of Clint Eastwood in the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "We adapt and overcome." If you know the game is going to crash if you do a certain thing, don't do that thing.
Warrior, Adapt and overcome - yes. But for me the new version of SPWAW proves that Matrix should focus on CL and other games. SPWAW is a great game - no doubt about that. But everytime one issue in the game is corrected antoher one shows up. I've had thousands of hours of fun with SPWAW and will have many more. But once CL and its different modules come along I doubt if I will be playing WAW much. Regards, Lars

Supervisor -> (12/27/2001 10:25:00 PM)

Yeah, but I've noticed, it doesn't always crash at the same point...
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. For everybody having this problem, remember the words of Clint Eastwood in the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "We adapt and overcome." If you know the game is going to crash if you do a certain thing, don't do that thing. [/QB][/QUOTE]

panda124c -> (1/11/2002 7:54:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Christian:

I play lots of WWII Campains this problem of the game locking up when you try to start from an end of game save. Was not happening in 6.1, I have tried completly removing the game and reinstalling from the NA MC then install 7.0 over that with the LV MC (several times). And I still have the problem. Just to make sure it was not due to the difference between 6.1 and 7.0 I started a new campain in 7.0 and still have the problem.
Does anyone know how to correct this, I'm running Windows 98 SE on two different machines (450 PII and 233 PI).
It's not a show stopper but it is damn inconvenent, haveing to run the last turn of a previous game to start a new one.
I'm convenced that it is a system configuration glich. [ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: pbear ]

bigtroutz -> (1/11/2002 8:35:00 PM)

as long as we are talking about bugs in v7.0, i have noticed a wierd one. with slow artillery on, mortar attacks will alternate back and forth between your target hex and some off the wall hex, then the next mortar to bombard will alternate between your target hex and the LAST target hex. this is observed for like the 1st 4-8 rounds, then it reverts to the 'normal' scatter around the target hex. then for the next target hex, it repeats as above, etc etc. it does not show up for offboard arty or howizters, that i recall, but i could be wrong. it's really obvious when, say 60mm AJ.01 fires at hex 12,39, then 60mm AJ.02 fires at 22,42 and every other round lands at 12,39. its not real important, unless the 1st mortar 'off the wall' target hex is a friendly unit, which sometimes gets pasted by 2 x 1/2 mortar barrages, which gets ugly.

chief -> (1/12/2002 11:34:00 AM)

Just a thought....could some of the problem with the game camps (ww2etc.) which were written probably before ver 7.0 be the reason for these oddities, I even believe some go back to ver 5.3 without updating (editing)?????

panda124c -> (1/15/2002 9:05:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by bigtroutz:
as long as we are talking about bugs in v7.0, i have noticed a wierd one. with slow artillery on, mortar attacks will alternate back and forth between your target hex and some off the wall hex, then the next mortar to bombard will alternate between your target hex and the LAST target hex. this is observed for like the 1st 4-8 rounds, then it reverts to the 'normal' scatter around the target hex. then for the next target hex, it repeats as above, etc etc. it does not show up for offboard arty or howizters, that i recall, but i could be wrong. it's really obvious when, say 60mm AJ.01 fires at hex 12,39, then 60mm AJ.02 fires at 22,42 and every other round lands at 12,39. its not real important, unless the 1st mortar 'off the wall' target hex is a friendly unit, which sometimes gets pasted by 2 x 1/2 mortar barrages, which gets ugly.

This problem has been around it only shows up when you have a mortar in the 3rd slot, originally I noticed in the Landing Craft with the mortars used for shore bombardment. I would bombard a hex and 10 of 15 hexes away some of the rounds would land.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI