Do you mix units of different nations ?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Yamashita -> Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/1/2004 10:59:15 PM)

So do any of you mix units/equipment of different nationalities in your SPWAW campaigns ?

Just curious what sort of different things people have tried.

I'm thinking my japanese infantry might look for some support from some real tanks instead of those tin cans they are usually stuck with.

Also German T34s vs Russki T 34s sounds like fun.

don't be shy, now show us your multi-national forces,
Thanks

Mangudai -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/2/2004 2:13:03 AM)

I enjoy using the Phillipino Guerillas armed with a bow and arrow and a bolo. They can really kill with those things inside of a 2 hex range. But, infiltration ability for a cost of 16pts makes them truly sweet. I seldom buy them though, because historically they would never have left the Philipines.

MOTHER -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/2/2004 3:46:15 AM)

Alot of scope exists for mutinational forces witin the game.
british /benelux- france1940.
brit/ french/ norge-norway40
phillipino/us- philllipines
us/italinan - sciliy
romanian/ ger /hungarian-russia
dutch /anzac/brit-east indies
indian/uk-burma
commonwealth-ethiopia
ger/italian -north africa
greek/uk -greece
brit /commonwealth- crete
JUST TO NAME A FEW!-especially in the early years ,some quite effective little units exist that normally dont get a look in in the latter years of ww2.[8D]

Maciste -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/2/2004 3:56:23 AM)

I used to use only the troops of the country I was playing with in the long campaign... But, when I played with Brits, I began to mix units of different country (to arrange some flaws the Brits have early in the war). For example, I bought some units of Norwegian Marines on 1940... ¡and they behaved wonderfully! Deadly accurate (had more kills with their Vickers LMG than the regular brits with their Bren) and great morale. Also changed my cruiser british tanks for some french B-1 (yes, heavy tanks, well armored and... ¡faster! than Mathildas) and used them a lot in the desert. Though always short of rounds, once they had some experience (and believe me, French crews are veeery lame) they became real tank killers. And, of course, instead of 2pdr guns, I bought some french 75mm 1897 converted AT guns... ¡Yeah, firepower in 1940! German Army stopped at Arras! ¡Counterattack on Cambrai! ¡Germany retreats till the Siegfried Line! [:D][:D][:D]

FlashfyreSP -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/2/2004 5:13:04 PM)

Since the Indian Army isn't one of the choices for the Long Campaign, I usually start with a British HQ, then buy Indian infantry and support units. And since the Indian armour is almost nonexistent in the early war years (1939-1941), I supplement them with some Royal Tank units.

I have also mixed US Army and US Marines, since both were deployed in the Pacific.
And then there's the true Allied force during the advance to the Rhine: British, Canadian, US, Free French, and Poles. Pick some from each, put them together, and go fight the Germans.

On the Axis side, mix any of the German-occupied nations with the German units to represent conscripts or converts, depending on the type of troops.

Roo -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (7/10/2004 3:33:28 PM)

I've recently taken to looting equipment from the battlefields in long campaigns.

It requires notes and thoughts about what has happened, but if I've wiped out a German ATR unit with rifle/MG fire, for example, then I'll issue it to my Inf-AT forces to replace the Boyes ATRs. If a vehicle is abandoned, it goes on my list of "take it back to base and fix it up".

However I won't buy units at the start of the campaign to fill in weaknesses.

Poopyhead -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/12/2004 4:35:14 PM)

One thing that I have just started using for the Germans is the Hungarian 14 cm mortars. It is available at the beginning of the war, and fills the gap for heavy on-board artillery until the nebelwerfer or 120 mm mortar shows up. I get cheap German artillery and upgrade them, because the starting Hungarian experience and skill sucks. Also, the Czech's have an ammo carrier that is armored like a halftrack, armed with a MMG, has a carry capacity of 5 and a speed of 38, the SdKfz 252 LGM. The perfect addition to any kampfgruppe.

Maciste -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/13/2004 4:10:25 AM)

Yep! I'm currently playing Logn Campaign with Japanese, and when fighting against USSR I substituted five of my CHI-HAs with BT-5 or BT-7a abandoned in battle... ¡Wow! After having them, I wiped out the Russians on an Japan Advance-Russian Delay mission in just... ¡7 turns! I had the luck to find a gap on the Russian deploy (no enemy units on the lower side of screen) so my BT-5 and BT-7a went right to the rear V hexes, destroying the Russian HQ.
My infantry attacked straight on the russian frontline, pinned them, while, through the same gap, an armoured onslaught of CHI-HAs took the front V-hexes, shooting and mowing the Russians by the back. [:D][:D][:D] I love to change history.

historyis -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/13/2004 9:37:02 PM)

I played a bit hypothetical with a Spanish Civil War Campaign I've been playing.... I am playing with an almost entirely R. Spanish core, but with the addition of some Mae West Tanks.... not an overwhelming number of them... maybe around 8-10... and given that I've been fighting a lot of Italian infantry, that little bit of American aid seems reasonable. I think France and England are going to join the Republican cause soon ;)

Kokoda -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/14/2004 8:05:29 AM)

This is fair game.

I have played a series of battles in the desert with the same opponent (like a sort of informal campaign). As the British commander I chose to take captured German tanks that were abandoned on the battlefield, if I won the battle. Needless to say he was very surprised to see that he was facing PzIVf2, rather than the crappy British armour with that 2" popgun.

I also mix Commonwealth forces in the desert.

Captured tanks in this theatre maynot be doctrine, but there's no reason it can't be done on the Eastern front. If the Germans can adopt the T 34 design, then this is legit too...

[image]local://upfiles/2537/Yw664880353.jpg[/image]

pappasmurf -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/14/2004 8:25:00 AM)

The Red Army did in fact use captured german equipment. They were satisifed with Mk IV's but found the Tiger sn and panthers to be worthless becuase of mechanical problems. Russia did not have the highly skilled technical base that germany did so I imagine that thier complaints were due to the fact that the maintence units of the red army were hardly elite highly skilled proffesionals.

Maciste -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/14/2004 7:48:46 PM)

Well, maybe it wasn't usual for the Brits to use captured tanks, but be sure that the Aussies did so to supplement their infantry formations. Sadly what they could only grab from the Axis were those "tuna cans" that in Italy were nicknamed as tanks, principally M11/39 and M13/40. They had to paint large white kangaroos on their AFV in order to avoid friendly fire! [:D][:D]

Kokoda -> RE: Do you mix units of different nations ?? (10/15/2004 1:54:42 AM)

IIRC, in the very first battle of Desert Fox MC there were a couple of entrenched M13/40 captured and used by the British. I remember being quite cross with the Italians ( in a game sense) for giving them up to the British. They took out one of my PzIII!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI