Chain of Command (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Mangudai -> Chain of Command (7/2/2004 8:16:28 AM)

I was just browsing through the old threads, and I noticed that the chain of command was discussed several times last winter. I'll repeat some of the things for newbies, (like me) and I also have some questions. All you veterans please chime in.

1. If you decide to reinforce an infantry company with some special teams (inf-AT, MGs, etc), assign them to a platoon leader. That way the platoon leader and the company commander both get a chance to rally them.

2. There is no way to insert another link in the chain of command between the company commanders and the A0. You cannot let the A0 be a regiment commander, and have subordinate battalion commanders.

3. Command tents give a rallying bonus to everyone on your side [X(] regardless of whether they are in close proximity to a unit or in direct chain of command for that unit. (someone please confirm if this is right ???)

4. There are at least two ways to get the most from your A0. First, you could keep him next to an F0 so that artillery will always be just a quick call away. Second, you could give him a car so that he can go rally the troops in person. In campaigns you can change your A0 to any type of unit you like (coastal battery !?!)

5. Each officer has separate skills for inf command, armor command, and arty command. This gives the units under their command a bonus (hit probability, I think). Never assign a tank to an infantry plattoon or you waste the bonus. When you upgrade units during a campaign, keep them in the same branch otherwise they are being asked to do something they haven't trained for and they don't have the skills.

6. I find it helpful to reassign my tank platoons, especially when I'm using a relatively small number of tanks. Instead of having all your TDs together, all your Med. tanks together, and so on; mix and match them so you have a TD, a couple med. tanks, and a CS tank all in the same platoon. This provides a much more flexible and well rounded platoon.

7. To prevent your artillery from going out of contact, keep the artillery battery commander within 3 hexes of your FO with LOS. The remaining artillery units do not need LOS with the FO, as long as they have it with their battery commander.

8. Is it possible to add extra platoons to a company? You can assign units directly under company comander, but this is not the same thing. If a company commander is B0, I don't want Bx, I want Cx or whatever under B company.

9. What can you do with the extra HQ units available in the Misc section? Surely they must be more than platoon commanders. How do you squeeze them into a chain of command? Do they rally any nearby unit, even if they don't have a command relationship to that unit?

Tequila -> RE: Chain of Command (7/3/2004 1:32:38 AM)

#3. Good question and I would like to know the answer to this also since the manual doesn't help much.

#6. I keep my tanks mixed like that, for instance I like buying a platoon of OT-34, T34.m42 and T34.m43 and reassign so each platoon has one of each so you get a flametank, a defensive tank and an accurate tank in one platoon. I usually leave the TDs as a separate purchase though.

I also do this with infantry but only in campaigns since it's so time consuming. The Russians learned in Stalingrad to mix regular infantry with SMG, MGs, flamethrowers in their platoons for street fighting power. After I read about these "storm groups" I incorporated that idea into my campaigns and I love the flexability it gives to a platoon.

Poopyhead -> RE: Chain of Command (7/6/2004 8:43:29 PM)

When I've used a Command Post (CP), I got an extra rally check (squad leader, platoon leader, company commander, A0 and the CP). I do not remember if the unit had to be in contact to get the CP bonus check, but I would imagine so. I have never been able to confirm the morale boost part for units close to the CP, or for A0 either. The unit's morale number seems unchanged no matter where the unit is.

Procrustes -> RE: Chain of Command (7/7/2004 6:14:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

When I've used a Command Post (CP), I got an extra rally check (squad leader, platoon leader, company commander, A0 and the CP). I do not remember if the unit had to be in contact to get the CP bonus check, but I would imagine so. I have never been able to confirm the morale boost part for units close to the CP, or for A0 either. The unit's morale number seems unchanged no matter where the unit is.

I don't remember all the details, but CP's have a radius of about 5 hexes where they influence moral and give orders. Any unit in that radius will take a serious moral check if the CP is destroyed, too.

Sorry to be so fague.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI