# of pbem games being played (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

jonypure -> # of pbem games being played (12/30/2001 8:37:00 AM)

I just sent off the deployment turn for my first pbem game. It took close to a month to finally send it due to changing server's, holiday's, and the ever dreaded finals in school (Franc I hope your a patient person). I'm curious to know how many games an average or not so average player is pbem'ing a day?
I see nothing but free time in the future and that only means one thing, WORLD AT WAR!!!!
Is it to much to play 3 games a day or are you die-hards pulling in more than that?
Any novices that are looking for a game should e-mail me at jonypure@yahoo.com for a game.
I love this Forum!

Redleg -> (12/30/2001 9:10:00 AM)

I have known players who had 10-12 battles going on at the same time. I guess it is totally a function of how much time you have. When I pbem'd, I often had about 6 going at one time.

jonypure -> (12/30/2001 9:20:00 AM)

Are a lot of people playing by internet? That would be my prefered choice but I have a terrible time with my servers and always end up getting kicked out of games because High-speed hookups is not an affordable option, it's not even an option come to think of it. Does your internet speed make a difference when playing SPWAW face to face?

Stuart Millis -> (12/30/2001 12:28:00 PM)

When I get going, I'll have all of my game slots full. Online play: It helps if the player with the faster computer hosts the battle.
Playing on a telephone dial-up access or by ADSL/Cable makes little difference to the game, however if you're on a dial-up line, be sure to save at the start of each turn as insurance against a sudden disconnection.

Kerg -> (12/30/2001 12:43:00 PM)

I average 9-12 games of PBEM at any one time.
I should point out I am in Combat Command so the more games the better your score and standings. I usually get a turn done the day it comes to my mailbox.

Mark Ezra -> (12/30/2001 12:46:00 PM)

I'm sure you're gonna love PBEM. In fact I'll bet you'll lose all interest in the AI. How many games should one have goung. Of course up to the individual. Obviously time matters, but let me tell you my experience. I usually have a good deal of free time to wargame. It was easy to have as many as 10 games going at a time. I found I gave less attention to the details of the game the more I had going. I felt I slighted my OPFOR's by rushing through my turns in an effort to get them back as quickly as possible. So now I strickly limit myself to 5 PBEM's maximum. While I'm about it may I take a moment to preach some PBEM etiquette? When looking for a player let them know in advance the turn number you can usually do and would hope in return. One a day, one a week, whatever, just let them know. Going out/going to bed? send the last turn with a sign off. Gone on vacation? send all your PBEM pals a note. You'll find yourself VERY popular! You're going to find a whole new world with PBEM...hope you have fun

Maximus -> (12/30/2001 1:43:00 PM)

Yes you will love the PBEM aspect of the game.....just don't let Kerg talk you into a landing against those slant eyed devils of his. I haven't seen that many Marines lying face down since my days as a bouncer in a strip club No really, Kergasami is fine, as long as someone will be there to throw grenades at him for the rest of his life. Whats that.....it my own planes bombing me again.....

ZinZan -> (12/30/2001 6:43:00 PM)

I try and run 7-10 PBEM games at once, and aim to get a turn off once per day. I run that many games so I get chance to complete 5-7 of them. If you have problems finding players to play try Combat Command, plenty of players there. Though I must admit to having few answers to my requests for games at the moment. (Could be the holidays)

RichardTheFirst -> (12/30/2001 8:26:00 PM)

Well, unlike most of you I try to have only 2-3 PBEM games going on at the same time. More than that would make me crazy and dream with it at night . But I'm also playing Desert Fox and sometimes I try a scenario. [ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

skukko -> (12/30/2001 11:56:00 PM)

All slots full, half of them have even douple games going. Combat command. mosh

bchapman -> (12/31/2001 4:55:00 AM)

Play as many as you feel comfortable with. Personaly, with work and family, I only try to keep 2 to 3 going, and small ones at that. Don't worry about just playing in your own class (novice). You can learn alot faster by playing against some vetern players, as long as you don't mind losing more than you win for awhile. PBEM rules!

Drex -> (12/31/2001 8:21:00 AM)

Thanks to the PBEM helper (free download at Matrix) I can easily handle full slots 3-12 plus I can doubleup on the slots if the games are identified properly. I have had 14 games going at one time but it burned me out. I keep it at 10 games now.

John Galt -> (12/31/2001 8:25:00 AM)

I have 3 games going (PBEM). I usually reply the same day but there always seems to be someone having trouble with his computer or family stuff going on. In that case I could do more, but as someone said in an earlier post, I don't want to start rushing through a turn because I'm pressed for time. I like to keep the battles small, no more than 4000 points maximum and usually less. This helps me get my turns out promptly. I like to keep the games moving so I don't forget what I'm trying to do! I also have a long campaign going, play a scenario once in a while, and the MC. I make a lot of mistakes and some of the things I do are just to learn more about what the game will let me get away with. Probably everybody does that? Anyway, it's a lot more fun than the AI. Keep the battles to a reasonable size and add opponents one at a time. You'll find your niche that way.

tracer -> (12/31/2001 11:55:00 AM)

I currently have 5 going, but had all slots (3-12) full earlier this month. The key, that someone mentioned, is letting opponents know how often turns will be completed, and keeping them informed if Real Life (TM) intrudes and causes a delay. One trick I use to organize that many games is typing the opponents name in the 'save' slot, and then again using his name, plus the slot number, when naming the Zip file. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has gotten (or sent!) PBEM files intended for someone else

jonypure -> (12/31/2001 6:27:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by ZinZan:
I try and run 7-10 PBEM games at once, and aim to get a turn off once per day. I run that many games so I get chance to complete 5-7 of them. If you have problems finding players to play try Combat Command, plenty of players there. Though I must admit to having few answers to my requests for games at the moment. (Could be the holidays)
I've looked for information on Combat Command as to how it works, perhaps it is simpilar than I think. I posted an invitation and I think I put my name on several other invites from other people. With my luck there's 10 people out there waiting for me to send them a game. Is it better to just send a game to someone and hope they send it back with their turn being done? I am so stoked to get a game underway on pbem because we human's are so much more unpredictable than the A1. Thanks again for the reply's.

john g -> (12/31/2001 8:41:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by jonypure:
I'm curious to know how many games an average or not so average player is pbem'ing a day?

I would guess those players with 10 or more pbem games going are those above the average, I on the other hand play just 1 game email at a time, though when my opponent and I are both off we can sometimes get half a dozen turns done a day, and that is no mean feat since we are opposite sides of the Atlantic. I have no fears of my opponent quitting mid game, I am the opfor for his WWII campaign, he has the greater commitment in seeing this done. At the rate we are playing, it will take between 1 to 4 years to play out the war. At best we will be doing 1 battle a week, hopefully it won't ever take more than a month for any one battle.
thanks, John.

Frank W. -> (1/1/2002 4:58:00 AM)

hello. finally got your turn. okay, doesnīt matter for me if you are not a
fast player,as me isnīt. iīm working very much and have a hobby (music)
which consumes time..besides iīm playing SPWAW long road camp. and castle wolfenstein. i would say 2-3 games for me or so.... iīm no professionel e-mail gamer,btw. but itīs quite fun,letīs see frank

Alby -> (1/1/2002 5:42:00 AM)

I currently have 4 going in spwaw, 2 in SP3, and 2 In spWW2.
Its gets hairey when you have alot of games going within 3 different SP series games!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI