Scenario Design Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

achappelle -> Scenario Design Question (12/31/2001 3:46:00 PM)

Hey All
Finally got my butt in gear and started seriously designing scenarios, and the first one's done except for one wee little problem. It's a Canadian Assault against a German Defend, and I have German reinforcements come in on predefined turns to bolster the line. They arrive no problem, except they just stay at their reinforcement hex and do nothing. I set their stance to advance, and their objective hex to be one of the victory hexes at the first line of defense. But, they just stand there. Any suggestions. And while we're at it, once this bug's sorted out, I'd like to get some input from you guys, so let me know if you want to give a try.
Thanks

skukko -> (12/31/2001 4:31:00 PM)

AIs control, waypoints, objectives, flags, advance status Before you save last time. If this don't help give reinforcement -vehicles radios. mosh

Wild Bill -> (12/31/2001 11:21:00 PM)

TIme for a little review, Alexandr, Have you read through carefully the scenario design tutorial on Fabio Prado's SPWAW page on the Armor Site? That will help with this problem. Here are a few more pointers for you. All of these features, Reaction Turn, Waypoints, Formation objectives, reinforcements, work properly if used properly in SPWAW. I have confirmed this and know it to be a fact.

The problem is that they are often not used properly and therefore you don't ge the desired result. It follows a certain logic.

We'll bypass reinforcements and reinforcement hexes.

Here we go.

If you are going to use Reaction Turns, waypoints and objectives you should use them together.

1. The formation, in order to use any of these, should be set to "computer control"

2. Once you set a formation to "computer control" you must then tell the computer what you want it to do with that formation.
If you don't the computer will do what it thinks best, including moving the units even though you don't want them moved.

3. Naturally, while under human control, the units will do what you tell them too. They won't move unless you tell them to. They won't fire (except op or reaction fire) unless you tell them to.

4. When you set a unit under computer control, you must then tell the computer how it should use them.

=================

Now to some particulars.

Let's take a hypothetical formation, a US rifle platoon. It is composed of B0, B1, and B2.

The US side is the computer side. I am the human player and I have the Germans. This is a German advance vs a US Delay scenario.

Here are the steps you follow: Click on the H button at the top right of the unit deploy screen in the editor.

1. Set the formation "B" to computer control. Do that even though the computer is already controlling the US side. You do this in order to specify to the computer how the unit is to move and be used by the AI.

2. Now since the scenario is US Delay, what do you want formation B0 to do?

a. If you want it to stay in place throughout the scenario without moving, set B formation reaction turn to 99. Put a formation objective flag in the B0 hex. It should stay in place until it retreats or dies, if done correctly.

b. But say you want it to move beginning at turn 5. You want it to go to objective flag in hex 22, 50.

c. Set B formation from defend to advance. Set the reaction turn to 5 for formation B. This means that formation B will advance, but not before turn 5 (give or take a turn or so...computer random selection).

d. Now go back to unit deploy screen, click on unit B0 and then set the formation objective flag (the blue flag) in hex 22,50.

Now come back to the "H" screen where you were before.

e. Now you want formation B to follow a certain route. That is where waypoints come in. You may want formation B to take an indiirect route to hex 22,50 in order to flank where you think the human player might be.

f. So you click on the two little arrows next to the computer for formation B.

g. A new screen appears. You find B0 (leader of B formation) on the map, and from there you go to the first spot you want formation B to go to. Click on it. A yellow line is seen from B0 to your first waypoint. Continue doing that for up to 10 times. I would make sure that the final waypoint ends at hex 22,50 (where the blue formation objective flag was placed).

So now you have set formation B to remain in place till turn 5 (this may vary a turn or two. The computer does this randomly). Then it will begin moving from waypoint to waypoint till it reaches 22.50. If it becomes involved in combat, it will fight normally, but when it can, it will move on till it eventually arrives at 22,50 where it will reamin unless killed or routed. Following this precisely should relieve your problem. WIld Bill

achappelle -> (12/31/2001 11:30:00 PM)

Awesome!
Thanks big time WB for the tutorial. I'l give that a try. I knew I had missed a step, but at 1am, my brain wasn't quite firing on all cylinders. This is a big help.
Thanks
again
Chappy

achappelle -> (1/1/2002 5:52:00 AM)

WB, worked like a charm. Thanks a million.
Scen number one should be ready i na couple of days, just want to run through it a couple more times, cpu v cpu, ad me v cpu. ANyone interested in trying it out?

Major Destruction -> (1/1/2002 7:01:00 AM)

I'll try it. [ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Major Destruction ]

Wild Bill -> (1/1/2002 3:27:00 PM)

Glad to be of service Aleksandr! Send a copy my way too. I can at least give it a once over! bwilder@bellsouth.net Standing by...WB

Don Doom -> (1/1/2002 10:04:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Aleksandr Morozov:
Anyone interested in trying it out?
Yes may I have a copy. Thanks

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI