RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/16/2004 3:02:43 PM)

So in effect if HTTR was sold as DD box and game it would cost no more than it costs now which is boxed game only.

Thats very good value. Thanks for clearing that up.

RealChuckB -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 1:54:45 AM)

Hi,

I want to mention an (huge) advantage of DD that was not discussed yet (as far as I can see at least):

No more CD-related copy protection!

For me, since I currently only have a laptop, this is one great thing.
I started playing computer games in the early eighties and so in the beginning I always had to juggle with diskettes (or even tapes). First with 5 1/4, then with 3 1/2. Then, in the nineties with larger HDs coming up, you only had to touch the diskettes once: For installation.
Afterwards, everything was on the HD, you could start any program immediatly without searching for the respective media - GREAT!

Then the CD came up and the old juggling game started again ... [:(]

Now, if you only have a Laptop without a CD Rom drive installed, you cannot play the games that depend on the CD being in the drive while playing. Actually, that was one reason, why I never looked into Korsun Pocket. It is possible to install the "No CD" files, but I, as a honest customer, hate to visit these questionable sites to have me enjoy my purchases ... (and, additionally, some games are not covered).

With regard to the manual: I LOVE good manuals. But they have to be in a useful format. For example, after opening the HTTR box and seeing the manual, I immediately looked for a printable PDF format, because this manual (in my opinion) was too small and would not stay open on the table while playing the tutorials.
Another possibility is (although it is --sadly-- only seldom used) is to update the (electronic) manual with the patches, because I hate to read a manual together with 4-5 Amendments that came later with the patches.

Just my 2 cents!

Chuck

Hexed Gamer -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 3:05:44 AM)

Manuals are not always inherently "useful" is my take on it.

I thought the manual for The Operational Art of War was perhaps the most detailed yet most pointless example I have encountered yet.

The manual for the old game M1 Tank Platoon is a great example of a weird way to buy a military hardware technical reference hehe.

I have the Strategic Command manual printed out in standard 8.5 x 11 pages size and in a duo tang folder. Must be the only decently readable wargame manual I have handy at the momment.

Been wanting to indulge a full print out of the Steel Panthers manual just for completeness (there are always things one misses of forgets). But at 240 pages, that is going to be quite a hefty print out at the printers (I have a 12 dollar quote for it in B&W though).

RealChuckB -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 3:16:04 AM)

Hexed,

I have at least 2 rows of my bookshelf filled with the real good manuals and strategy guides (there are not that many, though), even of games I don't play anymore and don't even have installed.

The TOAW was not THAT bad in my opinion, and I agree about M1 Tank Platoon. I think that all old Microprose Manuals were VERY good (I for example still have the manual of "Taskforce 1942" --great game, by the way-- on the shelf, together with a smaller accompanying "Identification Booklet" that also served as a copy protection)

The two manuals of "Across the Rhine" by MicroProse were also top notch (although not in a good paper quality and the game was REALLY bad). I loved (almost) all Jane's manuals!

The original binder of Falcon 4.0 was fantastic too. Unforgettable are the "Their finest hour" and "Secrect Weapons of the Luftwaffe" manuals of Lucasfilm ...

I could go for another paper probably ...

Chuck

wodin -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 3:25:47 AM)

I currently have HTTR strategy guide, SPWAW manual, KP players manual,UV manual. Bombing the reich manual and Battle of britian manual all of which need preinting out. I find the PDF format a pain as to read it you must be at the PC and you cant read whilst playing. I have just bought a printer Canon i560x but as I know I ill end up with sheets and sheets of A4 everywhere Id rather go to a printers who will print and bind at A3 size which will be perect but expensive. I will do it though.

RealChuckB -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 3:37:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I currently have HTTR strategy guide, SPWAW manual, KP players manual,UV manual. Bombing the reich manual and Battle of britian manual all of which need preinting out. I find the PDF format a pain as to read it you must be at the PC and you cant read whilst playing. I have just bought a printer Canon i560x but as I know I ill end up with sheets and sheets of A4 everywhere Id rather go to a printers who will print and bind at A3 size which will be perect but expensive. I will do it though.

Wodin,

You are right about reading PDFs on the screen - although this is probably the best available format, reading on the screen just isn't the same as reading form good ol' paper ...
I have to admit that I can print out on high quality laser printers (B&W) for free and are therefore not concerned about the additional costs (which are quite substantial when using a Ink jet printer ...)
Of course I would prefer high quality (color) manuals in letter or A4 format with spiral binding delivered with the games ... but this is probably something for the special wishlist together with World Peace, Lottery jackpot, eternal life etc ... [:D]

Chuck

Hexed Gamer -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/17/2004 4:23:44 AM)

What I meant about the TOAW manual, was it talked and talked and talked, but really didn't say anything useful :)

Chijohnaok2 -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/19/2004 2:49:33 AM)

quote:

The only problem I have with PDF files is you can't curl up in bed with them or sit on the throne in the throne room and peruse them. Unless of course you print them out and put them in a binder. I always liked a good manual and a colorful map with my games, back in the days of SSI and some of their wargames the maps came laminated, like with Gettysburg and Antietam and Carrier Force and you could use a grease pensil and mark all over them and then erase, ahhh the good ole days of superior customer service. ;)

Ravinhood----have you considered the possibility of loading the manual PDF into a laptop or PDA? You could the "peruse" the manual on your throne or where ever else you feel the need to "peruse". [;)]

dinsdale -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/19/2004 3:17:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

What I meant about the TOAW manual, was it talked and talked and talked, but really didn't say anything useful :)

I agree with that. They explained every nuance of the game..............in isolation with no tie in on how things worked together or how to actually play the damned game. IIRC they also left some of the details out which described things such as supply and penatlies.

RealChuckB -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/19/2004 4:23:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

I agree with that. They explained every nuance of the game..............in isolation with no tie in on how things worked together or how to actually play the damned game. IIRC they also left some of the details out which described things such as supply and penatlies.

Yes, I agreee - it's a shame. TOAW is one game that I would love to love ... [:D] I am sure it is a great game and it covers so many different conflicts that it should be able to accompany almost every reading you do in the field of military history of the last 100 years.
I still plan to give it another try and hope I'll succeed this time (even the graphics are still ok under today's standard)

Chuck

riverbravo -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/19/2004 5:09:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

The only problem I have with PDF files is you can't curl up in bed with them or sit on the throne in the throne room and peruse them. Unless of course you print them out and put them in a binder. I always liked a good manual and a colorful map with my games, back in the days of SSI and some of their wargames the maps came laminated, like with Gettysburg and Antietam and Carrier Force and you could use a grease pensil and mark all over them and then erase, ahhh the good ole days of superior customer service. ;)

Right on!!!!

I wish WitP came with a Laminated map to draw on....god knows I can use it.

riverbravo -> RE: No Box/Manual a mistake? (7/19/2004 5:18:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jcatarino

My computer also gets graphics corruption when I multitask but it's enough to move the mouse to left/right to scroll the main window and the screen goes back to normal.

Mine does too.

The colors go a bit crazy and looks like a rainbow.But all you have to do is move the mouse or click the combat screen "done" and its back to normal.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI