USS Pennsylvania suffers torpedo damage in Pearl Harbor strike? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Alekks -> USS Pennsylvania suffers torpedo damage in Pearl Harbor strike? (7/6/2004 2:00:14 AM)

Something that has puzzled me since beginning the game and watching two run throughs of the Pearl Harbor strike AAR compared to what I thought was the historical situation that morning in the harbor. In both instances that I have seen the game re-create the strike on Pearl, the battleship USS Pennsylvania has taken at least one or more torpedo hits.

If I recall correctly, the USS Pennsylvania was actually located in a big drydock on the morning of 12/7/41 along with the destroyers USS Cassin and USS Downes. The USS Cassin was severely damaged/sunk due to bomb damage and the USS Pennsylvania took more than one bomb hit herself, yet since they were in a drydock, they could not effectively be attacked via torpedoes. The game does not seem to reflect this.

This is not a gripe, just curiousity on my part, but was this either overlooked by the designers/programmers or was a decision made that it was too minute a detail to justify any extra coding to take this situation into account when compared to the overall scope of the game?

2Stepper -> RE: USS Pennsylvania suffers torpedo damage in Pearl Harbor strike? (7/6/2004 2:05:15 AM)

Honestly? While a good point historically, in game terms it was probably way to hard to code and was thus "abstracted". Sucks kinda if you're into MAJOR historical detail, but otherwise it's pretty minor in the scope of things...

I suspect that's the case tho...

sven6345789 -> RE: USS Pennsylvania suffers torpedo damage in Pearl Harbor strike? (7/6/2004 2:08:25 AM)

There is some older thread in this forum about two months back were this was discussed forever and ever. Try to find it if you like. I accept the fact of this being an abstract part of the game. The ship was there historically, yes, but in the game, the ships could be somewhere else in the harbor. It is a game, not a simulation. That is why PH is different every time you play!

Alekks -> RE: USS Pennsylvania suffers torpedo damage in Pearl Harbor strike? (7/6/2004 2:20:35 AM)

That's fine with me if that was the case. That is why I prefaced the question as curiosity instead of gripe. [;)]

In my situation, I got off kinda lucky with the raid on Pearl. Only suffered one air strike and only lost one BB (Tennessee). The rest only suffered light to moderate damage with Pennsylvania being the worst off. That helped it to stand out when the AAR showed 2 torp hits in addition to the bomb damage. No problem though, it will give the welders something to do for a time while I decide what to do with the surviving, slow BBs that came through with only minor damage.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, now back to the game. [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI