Howitzer or Gun? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

John Galt -> Howitzer or Gun? (1/9/2002 7:02:00 AM)

What is the difference between a howitzer and a gun? Thanks.

Paul Vebber -> (1/9/2002 7:21:00 AM)

In game terms by weapon class a howitzer is onboard and a gun is offboard. The names typically have the correct terminology. In "real life" a howitzer fired a shorter range higher trajectory round and had a light carriage, guns fired further lower trajectory rounds and where heavier. In many cases teh distinction has academic and they were used in very similar roles

Nikademus -> (1/9/2002 7:22:00 AM)

Howitzer is usually a gun designed specifically (but not always exclusively) to fire high-explosive ordinance against soft targets. 'gun' is usually a large size (75mm+) but low caliber weapon able to fire a larger and heavier shell (hence more weight and room for explosive) at a reletively low muzzle velocity. Examples would be the 75/L24 of the early Pz-IV tanks. I've seen the 75mm of the Sherman called a howitzer as it was best suited for anti-infantry work but was medocre against hard targets which was why it was suplimented by the newer long barreld 76mm weapons. It retained a superior HE capability though and was never fully surplanted.

CaptainBrian -> (1/9/2002 11:48:00 AM)

The difference in classification between howitzers and guns is tube length, expressed in calibers. For example a 39 caliber, 155mm tube has a length of 155mm x 39. Generally, cannon with a tube length of 40 calibers < are considered guns.

AmmoSgt -> (1/9/2002 12:38:00 PM)

Technically :British Standard
A Gun has a single sized propelant charge and can only fire in the lower register ( ie elevate less than 45 degrees)
A Howitizer has a variable propelant charge and can fir in the upper register ( elevate greater than 45 degrees)
A Gun-Howitzer has variable propelant charges but only in the lower register
An AA Gun is a fixed charge but can fire in the upper register.
A Dual Purpose Gun fixed charge, both registers.
A mortar is variable charged and only in the upper register.
when it comes to the term "only" some flexibilty can be assumed and " predominately used" can be substituted .
Other countries other classifications
another popular system is
Barrel Less than 25 caliber ( caliber being the size of the bore expressed in multiples designating barrel lenght ) is a howitzer
Barrel length greater than 25 caliber but less then 50 is a gun
Barrel lenght greater than 50 caliber is a rifle ( typically this terminology is resricted to naval use).
But all this can go right out the window if a tried and true weapon gets adopted for other uses on other mounts and gains or loses capability by virtue of the new mount and/or the addition of different sights or aiming gear .

Mike Wood -> (1/9/2002 7:11:00 PM)

Hello... Yet another set of definitions, U.S.M.C (circa 1970) is that a cannon with barrel rifling is a gun and one without is a howitzer. Bye... Michael Wood

Larry Holt -> (1/9/2002 8:12:00 PM)

This is most informative. Should this be in the hall of honor?

valdor17 -> (1/11/2002 11:57:00 AM)

The US Army uses caliber (ratio of the diameter of the bore to the length of the bore) to differentiate between mortars, howitzers and guns. Since I am not at work I don't have the exact breakpoints available, but basically mortars have low calibers (a short bore in relation to the bore's diameter) and guns have high calibers (a long bore in relation to the bore's diameter). Howitzers fall in between. (Again, it's the ratio and not the actual size. That is why the US Army has 107mm mortars, 105mm howitzers and 105mm (tank) guns; 120mm mortars and 120mm (tank) guns) The practical difference is that mortars have a relatively low velocity and high trajectory, howitzers have a medium velocity with a medium trajectory and guns have a high velocity with a flat trajectory. [ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Valdor ]

V-man -> (1/12/2002 6:11:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Valdor:
The practical difference is that mortars have a relatively low velocity and high trajectory, howitzers have a medium velocity with a medium trajectory and guns have a high velocity with a flat trajectory. [ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Valdor ]
I always thought the above was the difference for the AUS. Never heard the part about ratio of diameter to length.
Your sig mentions 1sr MRB - you with the OPFOR? V-man

valdor17 -> (1/12/2002 12:59:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Velovich:

Your sig mentions 1sr MRB - you with the OPFOR? V-man

I commanded A/1-63 Armor (which, along with A/1-52 Mech, made up 1st MRB in the OPFOR) at the NTC back in the late '80s.

V-man -> (1/13/2002 6:35:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Valdor:
I commanded A/1-63 Armor (which, along with A/1-52 Mech, made up 1st MRB in the OPFOR) at the NTC back in the late '80s.
PFC, C co, 1st Bn, 15th INF, 1986-88. Dismount grenadier. 3-63 Armor was in my BDE (2nd BDE, 3ID)
Pleased to meet ya... V-man

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI