More Loading Troops.. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

The Gnome -> More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 5:59:01 PM)

Does someone have a good rule of thumb for estimating the number of transports it will take to load an LCU? I usually have more than enough space capacity-wise but always end up leaving part of the unit behind - it's maddening!

PeteG662 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 6:08:33 PM)

Gnome...the ones you leave behind are usually ones in a state of disrepair. The only way to handle this is to add an AK to the convoy or create ir separately and merge it into the convoy once you see it load. You can check on the screen when you see supplies atrt to be loaded versus the unit.

The Gnome -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 6:09:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Gnome...the ones you leave behind are usually ones in a state of disrepair. The only way to handle this is to add an AK to the convoy or create ir separately and merge it into the convoy once you see it load. You can check on the screen when you see supplies atrt to be loaded versus the unit.

2 for 2, thanks for the help!

PeteG662 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 6:11:51 PM)

We are all learning very quickly on this monster. LOL

rogueusmc -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 7:14:47 PM)

I use overkill on the LC units......it get's a little supply on each boat....hence the troops arrive with supplies.

drw61 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:14:59 PM)

It would be nice for a message to tell us we have the right amount of APs/AKs to load the selected LCUs. I usually have 40 -50 ships in the TF so I know the LCUs will load.

PeteG662 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:19:49 PM)

if you take a look at the LCU screen for the unit in the lower left corner it will tell about how much AP, AK and some other ship cost it will be for the LCU top be loaded. Use this to determine the mix for loading. APs do well for troops but beware the diasbled ones which is where the problem lies with the first post. An AK added after all is said and done will take care of the 'stragglers' who are disabled if they don't load on the APs.

captskillet -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:21:30 PM)

Check the LCU(s) you want to load and it will tell you the load cost for each type of transport ship, then simply divide the load cost by the AP/AK size(s) and this will tell you app how many ships to use to carry the unit then as the Dawg said add a couple more to carry some extra toilet paper for the guys. Remember to use AP's for infantry and AK's for everything else

riverbravo -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:21:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

I use overkill on the LC units......it get's a little supply on each boat....hence the troops arrive with supplies.

I do that too...when I remember to give the TF a destination.[8|]

PeteG662 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:25:21 PM)

Something from UV days.....if an invasion force, leave some open space on your initial assault wave ships in case one is sunk (leave them devoid of supplies)...the survivors may be rescued by the other ships....have a follow up task force for follow on waves and supplies after first wave is ashore.

Capt Cliff -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:31:29 PM)

This was a problem in UV as well, leaving bit's and pieces of units scattered about the map, yicks! They didn't try to fix this!!!??? The lack of tactical units to execute normal functions properly, i.e. TF not loading troops, fighter squadrons to bomb and not leave a top cover... I should not have to miromanage down to the Ensign level in a operational level game. Why not select the troops to load and the computer selects the ships from the harbor and forms the TF!?! [X(]

Mr.Frag -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/19/2004 9:59:29 PM)

quote:

Why not select the troops to load and the computer selects the ships from the harbor and forms the TF!?!

We had exactly that and people complained that it didn't use the right ships. Can't win [8|]

mongo -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 12:11:36 AM)

I'm running into the types of troops on the right transport problem.

I'm seeing armor units loaded onto APs while the infantry go to LSTs.

I'm not sure why, or if there is something I'm missing..

rogueusmc -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 12:17:22 AM)

Load the unit types separately then merge them...just like you have to do with the HQ units.

dpstafford -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 12:27:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Are you implying here that damaged parts of an LCU can be loaded into an AK, but not an AP??

Nikademus -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 1:58:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Load the unit types separately then merge them...just like you have to do with the HQ units.

This is probably the best advice one can give when trying to load multiple LCU's. Either that or save the game just prior to attempting to load.

DrewMatrix -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 2:01:13 AM)

quote:

Either that or save the game just prior to attempting to load.

Actually _that_ is the best advice. I almost always save before loading. Then if the TF is the wrong size, I call up the save, add another ship and try again.

mongo -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 6:50:07 PM)

I suppose that'll do. Kinda clunky, but it will sure work [:)]

Thanks for the advice.

UncleBuck -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 7:06:34 PM)

Candy gram for Mongo... Candy Gram for Mongo.

I love that movie.

Spanish Balloons?

mongo -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 7:37:55 PM)

Classic westerns never go out of style [:D]

The name got hung on me when I tried to punch out a Humvee in the Army (Looong story)...[>:]

PeteG662 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/20/2004 7:54:11 PM)

NO DB...damaged can be loaded anywhere but from what I have seen the computer will load supplies instead of damaged if the numbers are too close and then you have to get an AK to load the rest along with additional supplies .

dtravel -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 5:25:45 AM)

Okay, I am still confused here. It sounds like the transport requirement numbers given in the LCU screen do NOT include any disabled elements. Is this correct?

Actually, what the bleep DO those numbers mean? Is there any way AT ALL within the game to tell how much AP and AK space is required to transport all of any given unit?

I'm assuming the last answer is going to be 'no'. In which case, when can we expect this bug to be fixed!? [:@]

Tanaka -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 5:58:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

Does someone have a good rule of thumb for estimating the number of transports it will take to load an LCU? I usually have more than enough space capacity-wise but always end up leaving part of the unit behind - it's maddening!

I know what you mean. I have a 19 AP transport fleet worth 46500 loading points at Sasebo but I cant even load all the units of one HQ worth 7000 load points and one Engineer unit worth 3000 load points. Hmmm thats 10000 load points but my 46500 load points fleet still leaves units behind. [:@] How am I supposed to know what Im supposed to do here??? [&:] This game could use less headaches!

hmmmm Ill try the AK thing suggested in this post.

....nope didnt work. ive now got like 25 transports plus an AK and it didnt make any difference. my fleet now has 56000 load points and still cannot load 10000 load points worth of troops [:(]

i love how some of my ships say capacity 3000/1 or 3000/0 and have 10 troops. what a waste!!!

freeboy -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 6:05:08 AM)

is it loading over the course of several days.. if so I was thinking it maybe confused if the unit is set to take replacemtns.. just a thought

Tanaka -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 7:09:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

is it loading over the course of several days.. if so I was thinking it maybe confused if the unit is set to take replacemtns.. just a thought

if the fleet can load all the troops then the unit icons should disappear at the bottom of the screen when you click on the base.

Panzer76 -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 7:54:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

Either that or save the game just prior to attempting to load.

Actually _that_ is the best advice. I almost always save before loading. Then if the TF is the wrong size, I call up the save, add another ship and try again.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when a simple and mudane task like loading troops onto transports is a game of chance and forces the player to save before doing so. There is HUGE rooms for improvements to be done here. That we had the same thing with UV makes it even less understandable as to why nothing has been done to improve on this.

Jaypea -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 1:41:10 PM)

What I do currently is create several small task forces in the port with each one loading only one unit. I set the "do not unload" option and when all task forces have loaded there troops then I combine all the task forces. This allows me to use up to 90-95% of the available space with nothing left behind. So for example - if I have an LCU at 17300, a HQ at 7200 and a base at 3500. I create (3) task forces - 18000, 8000 and 4000. Each one loading the appropriate unit. I think the problem with the routine which does this is that it does not pick the right ships for the right units. Doing this my way ensures right ship size for the unit. Works perfectly so far.

JP

Montbrun -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 2:17:17 PM)

^^^That's the way to go, JP. Unfortunately, the AI doesn't know how to load stuff as efficiently as a human. Just load 'em up in individual TFs, then combine the TFs. This has been the case since UV came out.....

Grotius -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 5:21:58 PM)

I don't really have any trouble with this. I deliberately assign more transports to the task than is required, because I like to spread my troops out to minimize the risk of loss in the event of a sub attack. So even if I might fit an LCU into a single AP, I routinely assign 2 or 3 to carry it, plus an AK to carry any disabled elements. Works for me.

tsimmonds -> RE: More Loading Troops.. (7/22/2004 5:25:15 PM)

More transports also means that once the TF reaches the destination the entire LCU gets ashore faster....

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI