Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ravinhood -> Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/21/2004 9:06:50 PM)

I was wondering, did anyone ever make a board wargame other than Risk of course where both players rolled the die for the combat results table? Or create something of that nature where the defender also gets a roll as well as the attacker?

I also thought it would be a change instead of the attacker always rolling the one die for the combat results that the defender gets to roll the die to determine his/her fate? (this of course for those games where only one player gets to roll the die).

Steve Wilcox -> RE: Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/21/2004 9:14:26 PM)

Re: your first paragraph, Avalon Hill had a mechanism like that in their Smithsonian Edition (1991) of Battle of the Bulge.[:)]

Steve Wilcox -> RE: Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/21/2004 9:23:58 PM)

PS Also used in Avalon Hill's Thunder at Cassino, Breakout: Normandy, etc.[:)]

Hexed Gamer -> RE: Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/21/2004 10:03:31 PM)

The Third Reich game and it's follow ons, use a combat results table that has as a few potential results, where the defender is capable with the right result, allowed to roll a CA Counter Attack result.

Although I always hated them, because it usually meant your defenders suddenly got the idiotic notion to up and attack what was obviously a superior force (and subsequently ended up quite dead).

Jonathan Palfrey -> RE: Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/21/2004 10:47:46 PM)

GDW's "A House Divided" (American Civil War). As far as I remember, each side rolled one die per unit involved in battle. This was to determine whether the unit in question scored a "hit" on the other side.

I still have the game but I'm too tired to reread the rules at the moment.

ShermanM4 -> RE: Idea for Board Wargames...maybe (7/22/2004 9:15:02 AM)

I am pretty sure that Axis and Allies would also meet that.

quote:

PS Also used in Avalon Hill's Thunder at Cassino, Breakout: Normandy, etc.

I thought by the early 90's all of the AH games did that. I seem to remember buying a DDay game by AH that was very similar to the Bulge one.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI