PBEM campaigns player 2 using a random OB (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Antonius -> PBEM campaigns player 2 using a random OB (1/18/2002 5:14:00 AM)

My first tests of PBEM campaigns made me think they would be awfully unbalanced as player 2 could "counter-buy" whatever player 1 used as core force. As player 2 can also wear down the core force by causing more casualties than player 1 can replace, I felt campaigns would be short-lived... But I have found how to play generated campaigns with player 2 deploying and leading a random OB:
when starting the campaign and after each battle player 1 sets the game to human vs AI but after player selecting his support forces he saves and exits the battle.
Then player 1 loads the game BUT ONLY NOW SELECTS human vs human, deploys and "quits deploy". He is the prompted to save the game and send the files. When player 2 opens them, he sets the game to human vs human and deploys the computer's OB selection

Paul Vebber -> (1/18/2002 6:22:00 AM)

The other thing I've found works very weel is to only "lead" one company of the of the AI forces, or to simply "direct them" using waypoints and keeping them "computer controlled". WHile "playing" the opfor as one would a regular game will lead to campaigner frustration, being the "high level AI" behind the AI, desinging a general plan for computer controlled forces to execute (Ok with maybe a little help... ) Makes it fast fo the Opfor player to play and still give the Campaigner some nasty surprises.

Antonius -> (1/18/2002 11:24:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
The other thing I've found works very weel is to only "lead" one company of the of the AI forces, or to simply "direct them" using waypoints and keeping them "computer controlled". WHile "playing" the opfor as one would a regular game will lead to campaigner frustration, being the "high level AI" behind the AI, desinging a general plan for computer controlled forces to execute (Ok with maybe a little help... ) Makes it fast fo the Opfor player to play and still give the Campaigner some nasty surprises.
That may well be the most interesting way to play a WWII campaign, all you need is someone who wants to play one too so you can plan each other's AI.
It would be even better if there was a way to slow down the AI controlled units and if AI controlled formations would more often take a defensive stance when they reach their objective
(I have seen them do that sometimes...).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI