HMS Repulse.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

SamRo -> HMS Repulse.... (7/23/2004 10:56:56 AM)

Image is of HMS Renown... any one modded?

and 27 knots??? she's a "BC" she has not much armor for a reson!!!

32 knots is her historic speed...

please coret me if im wrong! [:D][:D]

Adnan Meshuggi -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/23/2004 1:28:14 PM)

if i remember freehand the 27 was the actual ww2-speed cause of lack of maintanance and durability problems with the machinery... but, i am on the work, so i have to look...

SamRo -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/23/2004 1:35:27 PM)

I see... why not start her with 8 sys or somthing? to drop the speed?

Tiornu -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/23/2004 2:19:03 PM)

It seems Renown has a bit more documentation. In 1916, she managed 32.58 knots at 27,900 tons. In 1939, she did 29.93 knots at 32,800 tons. After her 1936 modifications, Repulse steamed at 28.36 knots. Her speed during her final air attack was 25 knots, though this is not much of an indicator to her maximum ability.

SamRo -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 1:09:46 PM)

humm...
tough call....

need a flying bridge in the jpeg mind so she looks diferant to Renown..

JohnK -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 7:49:33 PM)

Maximum ship speed is a far more complex issue than people think.

Most books simply give a trials speed immediately after launch (and some simply give design speeds!)

Real actual top speeds are often less than that. In the case of Repulse, as mentioned she was very heavily rebuilt, and the speed was much reduced. And over the course of a ship's career it's machinery can deteriorate or suffer problems that never really get repaired that permanently reduce the top speed.

Mr.Frag -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 9:46:09 PM)

quote:

Real actual top speeds are often less than that. In the case of Repulse, as mentioned she was very heavily rebuilt, and the speed was much reduced. And over the course of a ship's career it's machinery can deteriorate or suffer problems that never really get repaired that permanently reduce the top speed.

Add the other very real issue: Weather!

I'd just love to see a DD go 38 knots in heavy seas.

DD? What DD? Are you sure there was a DD there?

Well, there was one before that last wave ... [:D]

52nd Lowland -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 9:47:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

Add the other very real issue: Weather!

I'd just love to see a DD go 38 knots in heavy seas.

DD? What DD? Are you sure there was a DD there?

Well, there was one before that last wave ... [:D]

It will be a submarine now...

vonSchnitter -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 11:07:15 PM)

Weeellll,

it is not just the Repulse .... [:D]

I have got the impression, the authors of this sim have developed some pretty harsh prejudices against "limeys" - a fourth of july issue, I presume. [:D]

Lgen Percival just gets a L20/I10 rating ! Oh, Boy.

And of cource the Repulse - not much better than a tin-can ...

Come on, have a little compassion for those tea-drinkers ... [sm=00000436.gif] or luke warm ale/bitter swallowers ....

Cheers
vonSchnitter

Knavey -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/26/2004 11:53:40 PM)

Here is a picture of the HMS Repulse in its current condition.

[image]local://upfiles/7595/Qo406825238.jpg[/image]

Huskalator -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 12:44:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonSchnitter

Lgen Percival just gets a L20/I10 rating ! Oh, Boy.

Thats because he was completely incompetent and resposible for the worst British defeat ever.

If Brits were developing this game Percival would probably have negative ratings.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 1:33:41 AM)

So MacArthur should be the same or worse. He played a decent game of Bridge I hear.

IanLister -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 1:40:56 AM)

I have to agree about the anti-Limey stuff - you'd think they'd be more sympathetic what with Tony being George W.'s big mate and so on........
My thoughts:
Bill Slim - best British general of WW2....should be much higher in the ratings

Pete Rees - one of the best divisional commanders...should also figure more highly.
And several others, particularly some of the admirals. Then again, they have Archie Wavell down as an admiral, so maybe it's just ignorance.....how could the creators of the greatest wargame of all time ( I mean this!!) get us Brits so wrong???[sm=00000116.gif][sm=00000117.gif][sm=dizzy.gif]

As for the Firefly - probably the only decent UK carrier aircraft of the period, and look at the stats - I bet when I get to 1944 in my game they won't even fly due to embarrassment.

Then there's the Warspite/QE/Valiant - what about the modernizations (20x 4.5"AA etc)?

Come on Matrix - do your usual great support thing and get the UK contingent sorted. What are you going to do with Medwar....Admiral Montgomery???

McNaughton -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 2:02:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: IanLister

I have to agree about the anti-Limey stuff - you'd think they'd be more sympathetic what with Tony being George W.'s big mate and so on........
My thoughts:
Bill Slim - best British general of WW2....should be much higher in the ratings

Pete Rees - one of the best divisional commanders...should also figure more highly.
And several others, particularly some of the admirals. Then again, they have Archie Wavell down as an admiral, so maybe it's just ignorance.....how could the creators of the greatest wargame of all time ( I mean this!!) get us Brits so wrong???[sm=00000116.gif][sm=00000117.gif][sm=dizzy.gif]

As for the Firefly - probably the only decent UK carrier aircraft of the period, and look at the stats - I bet when I get to 1944 in my game they won't even fly due to embarrassment.

Then there's the Warspite/QE/Valiant - what about the modernizations (20x 4.5"AA etc)?

Come on Matrix - do your usual great support thing and get the UK contingent sorted. What are you going to do with Medwar....Admiral Montgomery???

Actually, there are TWO Wavells, one the Fieldmarshall (attached to ABDA HQ), and the other an unknown Admiral.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 2:23:55 AM)

Working on it. Ran out of time, basically. The Warspite and QE/Valiant refits were fixed last year before release. Are they wrong, don't have retail version yet?

McNaughton -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 4:46:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Working on it. Ran out of time, basically. The Warspite and QE/Valiant refits were fixed last year before release. Are they wrong, don't have retail version yet?

AFIK, the Valiant appears in 1942 looking exactly like the Warspite.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: HMS Repulse.... (7/27/2004 4:49:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: McNaughton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

AFIK, the Valiant appears in 1942 looking exactly like the Warspite.

Weird. When I did the ship database I specifically separated these ship classes. Must have got screwed in the retail version. I'll go through the dbase again when I get my version.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI