Steel Panthers 2: Modern Battles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

csmz -> Steel Panthers 2: Modern Battles (1/19/2002 7:16:00 PM)

hi there everyone.
i recently discovered spwaw, and greatly enjoyed playing "a steel panther" again after i fell in love with it during the sp2 demo. sp3 was a great shock(due to the multiple units within a hex, i hated that). but it seems spwaw takes the steel panthers series one step further and took out the annoyances of sp3 and added a huge number of great features. kudos and big thanks to matrix games for all their effort.
now to the point of my post:
is there any conversion for "modern battles" out there running in the spwaw enviroment? or any mod team out there working at such a project where i could perhaps get involved with?
any help is appreciated!
regards,
csmz
(spwaw is great as it is, but personally i would enjoy the game even more in the modern battles setting, since i always enjoyed that more then the ww2 plot)

Christophe Jaureguiberry -> (1/19/2002 9:41:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by csmz:
Now to the point of my post:
is there any conversion for "modern battles" out there running in the spwaw enviroment? or any mod team out there working at such a project where i could perhaps get involved with?
any help is appreciated!
regards,
csmz (spwaw is great as it is, but personally i would enjoy the game even more in the modern battles setting, since i always enjoyed that more then the ww2 plot)

You're not the only one. There was a project for SPWAW: Modern Warfare at one point, but as far as I know it was dropped by Matrix so that they could concentrate their efforts on the development of Combat Leader and other games. The problem with SPWAW is that Matrix does not own the license of it and so cannot sell it (and make a profit out of it). While I personally am unhappy about the fact that SP:MW will never see the light of day, you can't really blame Matrix as they too have to earn a living. I hope this answers your question. Christophe

Alby -> (1/19/2002 9:52:00 PM)

SP2 modern is being redone and upgraded, go to www.wargamer.com for more info

csmz -> (1/19/2002 10:45:00 PM)

"SP2 modern is being redone and upgraded" thank you for the link.
however, afaik, the sp2:europe(assuming that is what you are refering to) release is just a modified sp2, and therefore a dos application.
steel panthers 2 doesnt run on my w2k system, and with the introduction of windows xp, being the doom for any dos/9x platforms, i was hoping there was a sp2 theme ported towards the spwaw windows native engine.

Alby -> (1/20/2002 12:05:00 AM)

sorry no, the game will be called SP-MBT. Due out in a month or two.
done by the sp cammo group(Same guys who did spww2) It will be a dos game so...perhaps your out of luck?
I know some people have gotten spww2 to run on WINXP though. takes some tweaking. [ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Alby ]

MacCready -> (1/20/2002 12:52:00 AM)

Folks just as a point of interest one should always maintain a computer with an older operating system in addition to the fancy new machines

Bing -> (1/20/2002 1:11:00 AM)

Could be I'm thinking of the wrong OS ... but I seem to remember someone discussing a DOS emulator for W2K. Plus there ought to be plenty of help on the various forums re this issue. Without getting into detail, I think it CAN be done. Not to be arrogant or anything like that, but when I had my new computer custom built last June, I made sure Win98SE would be the OS. Thus far it has paid off. There are a couple of games that don't display properly - Comanche Gold for one - but that is as much due to the vagaries of GeForce3 than anything else AFAIK. SPW@W and many other older games run just fine and ... I can access the DOS command line to clean out the bloated .DAT files for Temp Internet, Cookies, I can whack the swap file to make sure it isn't getting "dirty". Well .. thats enough ... Bing

Skotty -> (1/20/2002 1:18:00 AM)

MacCready: You are absolutely correct on maintaining a PC with older stuff in it. My current PC is never going to be upgraded cuz the stuff I play works on it. I have tons of older DOS games that I fire up occasionally and work fine under Win98SE. I still play SP1/SP2/SP3 and I don't want to risk their stabilty by using XP. My machine is also optimized for all the 3dfx enhanced games using a Voodoo5500 card. All the older Janes stuff, F-15, IAF, Longbow 2 looks like new with 3dfx and full screen anit-aliasing.
My machine is still okay for running most new stuff at 900mhz AMD. Only MS FS2000 at 1240x1024 with everything turned on bogs it down. When it comes time to upgrade, it's gonna be a whole new PC. My current box is done as a DOS/3dfx specialized PC.

RichardTheFirst -> (1/20/2002 1:19:00 AM)

I too use win98se and never had problems in running any kind of application I will not change to XP until all the problems are fixed. Do you say XP have problems running DOS applications? I would also like to know what is a W2K. I'm very bad in English abbreviations. Cheers,

Bing -> (1/20/2002 2:15:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
I would also like to know what is a W2K. I'm very bad in English abbreviations. ]
W2K = Windows 2000, the first generation successor to the Win98 series. Lots of problems with Win2K, but IIRC DOS IS accessible from W2K, or can be gotten to. When I speak of DOS access, I mean rebooting to the command line - the DOS box business can mean problems when running certain pure DOS functions. Some DOS executables refuse to work at all in a DOS box. Some work fine from Win98 Explorer - I have a few BAT files that do just fine this way. Good thing they do because getting to a Windows directory from the DOs ocmmand line can be a real pain. Whatever happened to that nice shell we had in DOS, it was a file manager modeled along Lwindows lines but run solely from the command line. Is it still around somewhere, buried deep within the mysterious and dark dungeons a typical Windows installation creates?? Tune in tomorrow and find out - get out your Magic Decoder Rings boys and girls. Bill Gates will perform astounding feats of magic including having a total system crash on nationwide TV whilst pumping up the wonders of USB!!! (I saw it on TV news and it was FUNNY.) Bing

Lars Remmen -> (1/20/2002 2:55:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by csmz:
"SP2 modern is being redone and upgraded" thank you for the link.
however, afaik, the sp2:europe(assuming that is what you are refering to) release is just a modified sp2, and therefore a dos application.
steel panthers 2 doesnt run on my w2k system, and with the introduction of windows xp, being the doom for any dos/9x platforms, i was hoping there was a sp2 theme ported towards the spwaw windows native engine.

Hi, Thankfully the dos code is gone from Win XP. But I have still to find a game that cannot run under Win XP Pro. SP2 and SP3 runs great and more stable than under Win98. Furthermore it shouldn't be much of a problem making a dual boot Win XP/Dos(or Win98 for those who love the BSOD) system with a partitioned HD. Regards, Lars

Bing -> (1/20/2002 10:49:00 PM)

Thank you, Lars. I hadn't dealt with the idea of dual (or multiple) OS's - that would be a way to run just about everything made for the PC. Personally, I wouldn't want it because I reboot about 20 or 30 times a day, depending upon what I've been doing during a particular session. Not everyrone agrees this ought to be done, which is fine with me. I have a 42 second reboot cycle, it does make a difference to reboot after a
W@W session, as it does after MS Train Sim and many others. So having to choose the OS from a menu each and every time I rebooted would get real old, real fast with me - might not bother others, though, and among the choices multi-OS deserves to be in the running. KBing

csmz -> (1/21/2002 7:46:00 AM)

i think i have found a working solution for all those who do not run old windows versions for certain reasons and dont have old computers for such activities either.
you can install vmware, and run windows98 etc within vmware, and play your dos games there. works good for me when running the latest vmware on a windows 2000 server as host operating system.
i will do some testing to see how linux as host performs

Bing -> (1/21/2002 9:36:00 AM)

I assume the "vm" in vmware = "virtual machine"? Would be interesting to see how this works on a variety of machines. Please let us know - if a person is interested in vmware, where would it be found? Bing

csmz -> (1/24/2002 8:04:00 AM)

yeah vmware is a software used to emulate pcs. anything "supported" goes, i.e. you can run linux as your normal system, install like vmware and windows xp in it to play steel panthers, or as i did, install dos 6.3 within windows 2000 to have a "true dos" to play steel panthers 2 under. now i just need to find that god forsaken cd
a very good solution for dos games in my opinion, since you can play any dos games with no problem at all, the only con is the lack of 3d support under vmware, but i'd estimate that 95%+ of the games running under some kind of 3d interface work in windows anyway
here is the link:
www.vmware.com
you can download a 30 day trial of vm ware workstation, which is exactly what you are looking for.
i hope this helps other people with similar problems aswell

izhidov -> (1/25/2002 1:50:00 AM)

Anybody knows of any particualr tweaks to run SP2 under Win Me? Mine hangs really bad so I have to reboot.

challenge -> (1/25/2002 2:26:00 AM)

I don't know if this will work for SP DOS games, but ... If you wait until after the CMOS screen (that's the one with the hardware checks and the memory count) and just as you see the screen go blank and Win 9x starting, hold down the F8 key. You will get a menu of options for start up -- one of these is: Start With DOS Prompt Only. Now you cn type in DOS commands and it works pretty much like an old DOS machine. I don't know if it will run the DOS version of the game because I don't have it and haven't tried it, but other DOS programs of mine ran. PS "9x" means any Windows 95/98 etc. I don't think it works for Win 2K, but you can try it. It won't work for XP -- but then, I'm not sure XP works ... [ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Challenge ]

izhidov -> (1/25/2002 3:50:00 AM)

Well, I tried what you suggested but under Win Me it doesn't give a DOS option on srtartup. Now I'm sure it is there for Me is still DOS-based AFAIK.
It shows:
1) Normal
2) Logged
3) Safe Mode
4) Step-by-Step

Nikademus -> (1/25/2002 5:36:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
I too use win98se and never had problems in running any kind of application I will not change to XP until all the problems are fixed. Do you say XP have problems running DOS applications? I would also like to know what is a W2K. I'm very bad in English abbreviations. Cheers,
Win XP 'can' run DOS based applications when in 'compatability mode' but it runs them poorly and often with badly degraded sound and stilted video. I retain Win98SE for my primary operating system but also run Win2K and XP as well. Win2K = the Windows 2000 family of OS products.....primarily meant for the business side of things. WindowsME, that travesty of code, was meant for the personal side and has since been replaced by the XP and XP(Pro) family

csmz -> (1/26/2002 5:11:00 PM)

no windows of the "nt" family tree, i.e. windows nt4, windows 2000 and now windows xp can run "true" dos mode. everything is just emulated. you can also not "boot into dos" like under the 9x windows (95, 98, me), since there is no dos left in the nt windows.
i still found it to be the best solution under nt windows to use vmware to emulate a whole pc and install a real dos onto that pc, then letting windows do the job, since, as almost always, other people do better jobs then microsoft.
another great thing with the virtual machines is, that you can run linux, install vmware with a win98second edition on it, and enjoy a stable picture perfect operating system, while having a true dos and true windows layer for games(at least if they do not rely on 3d acceleration).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI