Error on running! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

steveh11Matrix -> Error on running! (7/30/2004 3:40:23 PM)

Hi all, I have successfully been running 7.1 for some time, and have just come back and upgraded to 8.2, freshly downloaded last night.

Now, on clicking the SPWAW icon I get a windows message saying that "an error has occurred, your software will be closed. An error log has been generated." or similar wording.

Any ideas? I can't even locate the log file to diagnose the problem myself! [&:]

Steve.

Voriax -> RE: Error on running! (7/30/2004 3:59:15 PM)

Did you do a fresh install or over the 7.1? If latter then remove the install and do a fresh one. The error log might be in the Windows main folder.

Voriax

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (7/30/2004 4:21:01 PM)

I specifically uninstalled 7.1 first, then a full clean install of 8.2.

I looked in the main windows folder, but couldn't see a .log file associated. I'll check the roo directory when i get home tonight - thanks for the help attempt!

Steve.

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (7/30/2004 9:06:28 PM)

A bit of further info: Dr. Watson reports that it was an Access Violation. Help? Please?[&o]

Voriax -> RE: Error on running! (7/30/2004 11:12:24 PM)

Wild guess: Do you use 'spybot - search & destroy' program?

Voriax

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (7/30/2004 11:31:03 PM)

No, but I do run Spy Sweeper. I gather it's a known problem then. Aside from stopping Spy Sweeper, what choices do I have?

Note: I found that if I start-up Mech.exe instead of spwaw.exe, it appears to work...

Voriax -> RE: Error on running! (7/31/2004 10:00:18 AM)

Well, if the mech.exe works then you are all set [:D] The 'main' startup way (intro stuff etc) has caused a lot of problems. Btw, do you have directX 9 installed/in working condition? If not, then its not surprising you got problems. Afaik the actual game does not require dX9 but the intro stuff does, thus mech.exe will usually work.

Voriax

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (8/1/2004 11:41:00 AM)

DX9 installed and kept patched to latest version - which in itself may be the cause...[:)]
Ta for the help.

Steve.

MOTHER -> RE: Error on running! (8/2/2004 4:38:24 AM)

i have found that if you have 7.1 and you install 8.2 in the computer ,some files when the order to excecute the install inexplicably become involved with each other.
total removale of 7.1, before the install of 8.2, i found is the answer.[X(]
win98se software

Marc von Martial -> RE: Error on running! (8/2/2004 11:50:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTHER

i have found that if you have 7.1 and you install 8.2 in the computer ,some files when the order to excecute the install inexplicably become involved with each other.
total removale of 7.1, before the install of 8.2, i found is the answer.[X(]
win98se software

Itīs explicitly stated at the beginning of the installer to not install 8.2 over 7.1.

Same with the need for DirectX 9

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (8/2/2004 1:22:01 PM)

...and I did uninstall 7.1 first, having read that. It also was due to the need for disk space, but removed it certainly was.

As stated earlier, DX9 is not only installed but fully patched. I'm running W2000 pro with all the latest patches, 512k of RAM and a 750MHz main processor. I can't recall if the video requirements have gone up from 7.1, nor exactly what the video on the machine is - it's whatever's built in - but all of that installation (7.1) ran fine.

Never mind, I've made an icon/shortcut for Mech.exe on the desktop, and that runs OK. I guess at some point someone will tell me what the heck I'm missing, but at least I can play the game!

Steve.

Voriax -> RE: Error on running! (8/2/2004 4:51:45 PM)

Steve, when 8.0 came out the intro stuff crashed my machine. But only at startup so I just used mech.exe. Never bothered to figure out what was the problem. Now with 8.2 the standard start with intro works just fine. And I certainly didn't update any hardware or drivers meanwhile. So these problems go into 'go figure' class. Remember, we are using IBM compatibles and IBM = It's Black Magic.

Voriax

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Error on running! (8/3/2004 11:44:15 AM)

ROFL!

Once I get over my initial 'rush', I'll check out the other 'goodies' - editors etc. - and make sure I can at least load & run them. If all of that is OK, I'll be more than comtent.

Steve.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI