LV low leader ratings in a scenario (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

degen -> LV low leader ratings in a scenario (1/26/2002 2:23:00 PM)

On Node 7, Scenario 24 (Touch and Go - Dubno), I noticed extremely low leader ratings for most of the auxillary german armor. Specifically, the ratings are 15, 16, 15, and 18 for the rally, infantry, artillery, and armor ratings of the IVe platoon and Stug company that were initially deployed and for all of the panzer reinforcements that arrived on turn 5 (IIc's, III's, and the IVe's). I have not started turn 6, so I do not know yet if this condition exists for the remaining panzer reinforcements. I also noticed that there are no commander names for these same units. The lowest leadership ratings that I saw for german troops by sampling forces for a July 1941 WW2 long campaign was in the low 40's. Thus, I have to ask, are these low leader ratings for the auxillary forces in this scenario intentional? In any event, LV is a blast and I'm really enjoying it. The battles have a nice balance of infantry and armor, and are a good challange.

BryanMelvin -> (1/26/2002 11:53:00 PM)

I just went through the scenario in the Editor and the German Armor Morale, Rally, and Experience are all set in the 80 ranges. I think what you are seeing is the spwaw game engine at work here. A Leader's Rally rate will lower due to number of attempts to Rally, supression, and hits received on unit. I have seen Leaders with Rallly rates set at 90 read 0 after a few Rally trys and then climb slowly higher during the next few turns due to the above reasons. Sometimes, if possible, if one see's a Leader Rally rate at Zero, it is a good idea to move that Unit out of harms way for a turn or two so it can recover to full rate faster than when it is being shot at. This seems to me to be realistic simulation of combat that spwaw uses in its game system.

AJVa -> (1/27/2002 4:04:00 AM)

I'v ran into this same "feature" of megacampaigns in the Desert Fox MC. I'm not sure what causes this, but I suspect that units (in my case tank and it's crew), that are completely wiped out, may turn into these zombie units in the next scenario. Typically leader's name and rank are missing plus ratings are below 20.
I tried to fix this with Fred's WAW Ed, but the ratings just won't stick. After trying quite a bit it seems that ewerything but the ratings (armament, armour, rank, etc) can be edited so that they won't revert back when I continue the battle. Sorry that I can't help plus sorry for my incomprehensible use of english . There must be an easy fix other than backup saves. [ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: AJV ]

degen -> (1/28/2002 1:33:00 PM)

Thanks for the information Mel and AJV. Mel- the reinforcements that came in were not under fire yet, so I was not sure how the suppression you described could have occurred. AJV- I did not get as far in the MCNA, so I did not notice the same thing it that MC. Btw, your English is great! In any event, Brent contacted me separately and I'm sending him some info so that he can look into.

AJVa -> (1/28/2002 8:31:00 PM)

In MC (NA) some core unit info is saved in *.cam file. Right? If so how can I edit this file? One of my core units is "broken" (has ratings below 20) and editing *.sav file doesn't help. Some dumb questions I guess. Obviously I need an editor simple enough that "computer genious" like me is able to use it. I would preciate it if someone could point me the way.
Thanks.

AJVa -> (1/28/2002 8:52:00 PM)

If nothing can be done to fix "broken" units, then this feature really forces me into taking better care of my core units than before, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For now I'll concider the crew being reqruited arabs (reqruiting officer couldn't spell the name hence no name in the unit info screen) that would rather be riding camels than noisy and exrusiatingly hot tanks.

melcer -> (1/28/2002 9:22:00 PM)

In the third battle where you expand the bridgehead by taking the town my PzIII tanks were crewed with infantry leaders. Their infantry skill was in the eighties and their tank skills in the forties. Strange kind of error. Also, I could play the brandenburger relief before instead of the second bridgehead battle, the one with the castle and NCO school, and the end text (I only got a draw) was talking about my failure of the second bridgehead battle! Melcer

Killerdaffy@gmx.de -> (2/2/2002 3:36:00 AM)

There are at least two other threads with in which problems with LV are listed: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008113 and http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008115 Could we make a coherent list somewhere so somebody can work on a patch?

Jeff_Ewing -> (2/4/2002 10:22:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by AJV:
I'v ran into this same "feature" of megacampaigns in the Desert Fox MC. I'm not sure what causes this, but I suspect that units (in my case tank and it's crew), that are completely wiped out, may turn into these zombie units in the next scenario. Typically leader's name and rank are missing plus ratings are below 20.
I tried to fix this with Fred's WAW Ed, but the ratings just won't stick. [ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: AJV ]

I can confirm this, and it's rather vexing. At first I was having fun with it, changing the leaders names from blank to "Sgt. Noschott" or "Loskor" or Kantsee", but in the scenario where you rearm at the hidden supply base, I find almost my entire Pzkw III platoon is nameless and with rally, armor, infantry and artillery scores at 0 (experience and morale in the 80s-90s). This makes things a little tough. As AJV notes, this can be fixed in WaWEdit, but gets overwritten when you save. Opening the .cam file in a text editor I find these values for the names:
Dietsl Wildman Hartueb HeidricKrogel Krafft KStrauch Stumpf Stumpf Telner TGebhart HaeftenSchumacher SchuSchurz SchwartzSchwendt SeiberHarmel Hartueb Weisbach Weiss Naumann Oertzen Harmel Hartueb Briel Bruck Bru Weiss n Funck Gebhart HDummer G GBauman Becker BLoskor BMGMedioker G Schweitzer SchwLetzelder MetzgLetzelder MetzgHeidrich HitzelHitzelberger oNoschott G This *looks* corrupt to me, with fragments of the stock names munged together. I'm guessing that the hex that should be between the names (as in the case of the first 3), is where the skills would go, and it's been whacked out. I'm running the v.7.0 internet upgrade under Win ME, if that's useful to know. Any thoughts from the Matrix crew on how to rectify this? I'm perfectly comfortable with editing the file or other actions -- I don't need some handy InstallShield distribution file. Jeff

RockinHarry -> (2/5/2002 10:42:00 PM)

The odd leader issue and branching is beeing checked now. Stay tuned... Did any of you used the WaW Editor on saved mega cam files and then encountered the problems?! ________
Harry

AJVa -> (2/6/2002 3:56:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by RockinHarry:
The odd leader issue and branching is beeing checked now. Stay tuned... Did any of you used the WaW Editor on saved mega cam files and then encountered the problems?! ________
Harry

I've encountered similar problems in the MCNA. Editing with WAW Ed 0.050b does not help as it recognizes (as far as I know) only .sav file not .cam file, which may be the corrupted one. Editing .sav file is useles bacause leader rank, name, morale, rally, etc are overwritten when the saved game is continued (are those values checked from .cam file?). Oh yes and those noname zero skill leaders arrived before i ever even tried editing MC files.

Jeff_Ewing -> (2/6/2002 4:35:00 AM)

quote:

Harry

No, I only started hacking at the files when I noticed the "Tankers with No Name."

degen -> (2/6/2002 2:03:00 PM)

quote:

Harry

Nope, I did not try this. At this point, I'm just struggling through the battle with boy scouts for leaders. Good thing the Ruskies are not too much better.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI