Great AAR, guys! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy

benpark -> Great AAR, guys! (8/7/2004 8:31:25 AM)

Really interesting, well written and illustrated. Thanks for doing 'em! The game is top of my list even more than before.

One thing I think is great about this game (and other DB games) is a real sense of flow of an operation. Games are tense, exciting, informative...and really fun.

One question-the German strategy so far has been pretty historical in terms of the positions of "heavy hitters" like the SS units and Lehr. Is this due to choice, reinforcement entry points or difficulty repositioning due to terrain factors etc.? I am curious to see how mobile units will be in terms of reordering the line-ie, a strong German center instead of right flank.

SlapBone -> RE: Great AAR, guys! (8/7/2004 10:04:04 AM)

Yea what he said.

The AARs are great but I know that my time of waiting is over since the game is being released on Monday, or whenever you guys get through hanging out with those board game geeks at the conferences.

Just kidding guys, I know you have to get you inspiration from somewhere :)

In all seriousness I have been really anxious to get my hands on this game for the last couple months or so. I've been reading up on Normandy a lot more lately and this will be my fourth game in which I've played out Overlord. None of them to depth of what this will have. It was (I believe) the first Panzer General, TOAW, and the game that got me into hex-based games to start with, Iron Storm on the Sega Saturn.

This game (Iron Storm) was kind of light weight but it had some pretty cool features like the battles playing out in true 3D. Hey, we all have to start somewhere :) I'd be interested to know if anyone else enjoyed that game?

Anyway, keep up the good work guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done. Put the download up and my money is in your bank within the hour (well at least in Digital River's bank).

Rob Gjessing -> RE: Great AAR, guys! (8/7/2004 2:07:34 PM)

Hey Guys.. remember that there are more comments and discussion about this game on Run5 - the Discussion Forums for SSG. Head over to the SSG website (www.ssg.com.au) and select the Run5 and then discussion forums to become a part of it.

Benpark.. interesting question.. you know what.. I have an equally interesting answer for you.. I dont actually know where the German units were placed and directed to historically.. so given that I dont have that level of knowledge, then no, I havent been trying to replicate what happened historically. What I have been doing is trying to use them the best I can. In terms of where I have directed units - this has been based upon - yes where they arrive from and where they are needed most. The strong Panzers that arrive in the East - particularly in the last few turns have been directed to Caen as thats where my offensive.. the INF that has recently been arriving have been ordered to the west in trucks to try and take up defensive positions..

I hope that answers your question.. there are many options and tactics available in this game and they can tend to play out differently.. have a look at the first Normandy AAR that Roger and myself did (available on the Run5 discussion forums) and you will note that its is very different to this one.. there was a ferocious battle behind Caen! I managed to get Brit units to the south and east of Caen and thats where most of the battle took place in that area.. it was a blood bath but quite thrilling.. even some of the other staffers at SSG were amazed at that fire fight.. mind you I dont know if I want to do it again.. it was too nerve racking for me! And Roger too I expect.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI