Install vs straight copy to hard drive (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Hexed Gamer -> Install vs straight copy to hard drive (8/26/2004 10:03:44 AM)

Hmm I am at a loss to know if there actually IS a difference, but my question to those that might have the answers is this.

Is the game different in running performance when installed via an install program such as the usual set up routine vs having the files moved from point A to point B.

Currently I have numerous options open to me.

Install from scratch via set up program.

Load via directly copying the previously set up folder from a source other than the original set up location.
This can be done in many ways.
I have had the game moved from a folder enmass from one partition to another, both before as well as after a system format where the OS was reloaded. Plus, it is also an option to load the game from cd and or dvd that has been burned after the game has been previously installed to the computer.

Again, the cd/dvd copy could have been done before as well as after a system format (I format rather casually by the way).

The reason I ask, is in all the permutations, I have never actually had any experiences of difficulties with any portions of the game no matter how I end up with the folder with the game.

All I really lose when I don't install via the set up routine, seems to be the loss of a set up desktop icon and a set up Start Menu folder (which I can do manually if I really need it).

I have no option under Add/Remove programs when the folder is simply moved from point A to point B, as Windows, if not informed of a programs existence through an installer, seems to not realise it is there.

But apart from that, I am unaware what else Windows is told about the program.

Starting the program never gives me any grief regardless of what route I take. Mech.exe or otherwise, they all start the game up.

Being that I use XP Pro, and I have a modest 800 Celeron with currently a 512 Ram option, along with a reasonable old Radeon 7000 PCI 32 meg video card, all of which are hardly cutting edge, I often wonder, what is it about MY set up that gives me zero hassles, while I see so many out there being given so much hassle just getting the game to run at all.

Currently thinking of making up a dvd that has the game transferred to it in a pristine fully set up fashion.

It appeals to me as I often fuss with the game, for instance I just checked out the Lord of the Rings scenarios which modifies a few files.
And with the dvd set up, I could just delete the folder reload it and not really care (beyond the few minutes it would take to reload a fresh copy).

Jamminji -> RE: Install vs straight copy to hard drive (8/26/2004 9:25:20 PM)

I believe SP-WAW is a dos game, which means that the whole game resides in the installed directory and it's associated sub directories. Ant registry etc stuyff is soly for windows to do things like you mentioned, such as uninstall, desktop icons, program groups etc. The game itself will run fine by moving the main directory with all subs to another place. A DVD works great as it only takes one DVD, but you can also put the SND directory on one CD and everthing else on another CD and move it that way too. The 2 CD method is how I finally got my copy to work.

jam

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI