counter-artillery fire (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

majama -> counter-artillery fire (8/27/2004 2:39:37 AM)

how set counterartillery bombarding for off board artillery?
I dont see this option, this happens for computers artillery in one my solitary game.

Clipper1968 -> RE: counter-artillery fire (8/27/2004 2:48:20 AM)

IIRC counterbattery fire is automatically done by your off map artillery; the firing enemy artillery will take losses.
You don't have any setup to do.

rbrunsman -> RE: counter-artillery fire (8/27/2004 2:48:58 AM)

There is no setting to have it happen. The computer determines if your arty is otherwise unengaged and if it has longer range than your opponent's arty. It happens randomly. The only thing you can do to increase the chance of it happening is to buy long ranged arty and not give it a current bombardment assignment.

I'm sure someone else will have a more detailed answer for you, but basically it's nothing you can directly control. Just enjoy it when it happens.

rb

KG Erwin -> RE: counter-artillery fire (8/27/2004 3:39:50 AM)

AFAIK, counterbattery fire is beyond human control. This is a randomly-generated part of the mech.exe.

Remember this--you command a battalion that is part of a higher (regimental) command structure the player never sees or has direct contact with. This function is abstracted through the support points you get in a campaign scenario, and through reinforcements you can request (though reinforcements cost you VPs).

All things considered, I think the off-board regimental commander is pretty generous, as you have the option (in some cases) to draw upon regimental, divisional or even corps-level artillery, air and naval assets, depending upon your assigned mission. As an example, an amphibious assault can offer 2000 or more support points, but this represents a preliminary aerial and naval gun bombardment lasting over several days. Given this particular mission, I don't think it's excessive.

For other missions, at times it's too much, but you can choose the amount of off-board support you feel is historically appropriate.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI