what determines mine damage (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

izhidov -> what determines mine damage (2/16/2002 1:48:00 AM)

Hi, playing defensive scenario i like to set up minefields. Sometimes vehicles get through unharmed even through a dense field or damaged/disabled or destroyed. What determines the outcome of the vehicle entering a mined hex? I assume all mines are given the same destructive power. Also would it be possible in future version to create a new op-fire situation with radio- or wire-controlled mine fields. They prove to be quite deadly to any AFV given the guerilla tactics in Chechnya and West Bank. In the latter, palestinians manage to destroya Merkava Mk 3.

john g -> (2/16/2002 2:32:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by no_time_2_play:
Hi, playing defensive scenario i like to set up minefields. Sometimes vehicles get through unharmed even through a dense field or damaged/disabled or destroyed. What determines the outcome of the vehicle entering a mined hex? I assume all mines are given the same destructive power. Also would it be possible in future version to create a new op-fire situation with radio- or wire-controlled mine fields. They prove to be quite deadly to any AFV given the guerilla tactics in Chechnya and West Bank. In the latter, palestinians manage to destroya Merkava Mk 3.
Random chance determines if mines go off when a unit traverses the hex (they can set it off entering or leaving). I have seen 3-4 vehicles go through a hex and then one finally sets off a mine lettimg me know the field is there. Other times it is the first vehicle through the hex that sets one off. The only good ways of detecting mines without losing someone is to move engineers forward 1 hex at a time, that detects them most of the time, or better yet, you pound the area with medium or larger arty. That will cause mines to show themselves, and even clear a few. Even weapons as small as 20mm will cause mines to show up but it often takes many shots to detect mines when using smaller than 81mm. Ususally 81mm and up will unmask mines with just one shot, just direct fire at the hex with the z key.
thanks, John.

Bing -> (2/16/2002 3:19:00 AM)

What I'm doing in MCNA is to run the triple-deuces (AC 222's) in a straight path, lots of them over the same line of hexes. If I can get six or more down a single lane the chances are its OK for the heavier stuff to move in. Next I will pound the lane I intend to use for advance with mortars and OB arty, with the engineers ready to move in. Mine detonation is I think even more random in v7.1 and 7.0 than it was previously. Nasty weapons, those mines. Scare the begeezus out of me when they go off, never get used to them. Remember Don Knotts as the "K.B ..." buy on the Steve Allen show? He worked in a dynamite factory. Knotts is shaking and stuttering, which was his act anyway. Finally, Allen asks him what the K. B. stands for. Answer: "K-K-K-K...Ka BOOM!!!". Well, you had to be there. Bing

Redleg -> (2/16/2002 11:59:00 AM)

The quality of the troops involved also makes a difference. High quality troops spot and deal with low quality mines much better than the other way around..... or so it seems. A suppressed unit is much more likely to blow a mine than an unsuppressed unit. Infantry which stops next to a mine and then moves on to the mine next turn will have a high probability of not tripping the mine. Ditto for vehicles. The faster a unit is moving, the more likely it is to blow the mine. A high quality unit clears mines faster than a low quality. A unit in the same hex as a mine will clear the mines faster than a unit that is next to the mine hex. Size of the unit also seems to make a difference. etc, etc.

ruxius -> (2/16/2002 5:16:00 PM)

Not really tested but ....I found also SIZE (as it should be perhaps) may determine whether a vehicle is caught by a mine or not..
it happened during a PBEM..all light vehicles and ALSO INFANTRY ,safely walked along that street...more than 6 units !!Then I let my KV to finally move as the last one and....he was blown up from a mine...
I was unbelieved !!
I only had two KV that PBEM...so I had to take care of them..it was nice ...and surprising !

Bing -> (2/16/2002 9:22:00 PM)

Rux - I had the same kind of feeling about mines, that unit size had something to do with detonation. But I thought that might have been purely personal and I haven't run test one - too busy with Watchtower and other campaigns. Have you run strictly regulated tests to verify the size trigger? Bing

Mike Wood -> (2/17/2002 2:23:00 AM)

Hello Folk...
quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
Rux - I had the same kind of feeling about mines, that unit size had something to do with detonation. But I thought that might have been purely personal and I haven't run test one - too busy with Watchtower and other campaigns. Bing
Larger units have a greater chance to detonate a mine. Vehicles with more armor stand a better chance of becoming immobilized and not destroyed. A whole bunch of calculations are made. Hope this Helps... Michael Wood [ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mike Wood ]

john g -> (2/17/2002 2:54:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Wood:
Hello Folk... Larger units have a greater chance to detonate a mine. Vehicles with more armor stand a better chance of becoming immobilized and not destroyed. A whole bunch of calculations are made. Hope this Helps... Michael Wood [ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mike Wood ]
I just ran a quick unscientific test, and with units running thru an undetected 10 mine level minefield the following happened. Force was German 1946 Hq made it thru no casualties
1 of 3 Sdkfz 222 made it thru
2 0f 3 Sdkfz 231 8rad made it thru
1 of 2 Pzkfw IVf was destroyed
1 of 2 Pzkfw IVf was immob and made it thru later
1 of 1 Kubelwagens made it thru
2 of 2 King Tigers made it thru
1 of 2 Maus made it thru
2 of 2 Jagdtigers made it thru Looks a lot like less than 50% kills for 10 level mine field, I guess if someone wants to profile the numbers they can run 100 vehicles thru each level of minefield up to 40 and get some sort of statistical feel for how many will make it thru.
thanks, John.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI