WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Dirtdog20 -> WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/3/2004 8:25:55 PM)

While we all hope/pray for the return to full health for the designers family I thought a new thread would help keep us occupied for a few days.

What is your favorite WWI novel, memoir, or other non-historical study book?

To get us started my top 5 list

5. "Over the Top" by Authur Guy Empey An American who joined the British Army and served up till the night before the start of the Somme Offensive (IMO, he never gives dates) when he was wounded on a patrol to find out if the wire had been cut. BTW that was his 3rd wound and it was bad enough to invalid him out of the Army.

4. "Under Fire" by Henri Barbusse The French version of "All Quiet On The Western Front" The differance is that the book was published in 1917! The last chapter is quite one of the most powerful in all of these books at describing the futility of "nibbling away",(the wastage of war), as seen by the French Poliu. Barbusse btw was a soldier who was writing this novel while in the trenches.

3. "Fix Bayonets" by Capt. John Thomason U.S.M.C. Capt. Thomasons story of his Company from the march to "The Woods of the Marine Brigade" through the occupation of the Rhineland though 1920. The book is illustrated through out by his illustrations drawn on the battlefield. One page in his book is a copy of a page he tore from a German Feldwebels duty book and drew images of the bayonet fighting they had done taking the woods from the Germans.

2. "All Quiet On The Western Front" by Erich Remarque Not much more needs to be said about this book. Although it was turned down as a topic for my senior thesis for my English degree because it was too succesful a book and therefore couldn't be considered a great work. !?!

1. "So Far From God" Author Forgotten Another book written by a U.S. Marine, this time a corporal who ended up being sent on November 11,1918 to officer school. He was one of three Marines to be with his Company from start to finish. The author makes no efforts to hide anything from the reader and lets him fully share in the empty space that was once inhabited by shipmates and ideals. All in all one of the most powerful books I have ever read and is sadly rare and out of print.

*Lava* -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/3/2004 10:03:03 PM)

Hi!

I have a pretty kewl book on WWI. I haven't looked at it for awhile, but it is called "Battlefields of WWI." It was published in 1920 or so, and is in poorish shape. It has a folder as part of the book, which contains maps from the war, about a half an inch thick (3cm). Although it's emphasis is mostly on the American participation in the war, it has loads of photos as well. (Which is good for peeps like me, who fall asleep easily while reading.)

[;)]

Ray (alias Lava)

wodin -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/4/2004 1:31:49 AM)

RICHER DUST
A novel based on the author’s six months on Gallipoli with the RN Division from May 1915 to the evacuation in January 1916 This is a novel about Gallipoli in which the central character is a young officer, Sub-Lieutenant Rodney Wilmot, serving in the [fictitious] Vernon and Keppel Battalions of the Royal Naval Division. The author himself served in the Drake Battalion and the vivid account of the fighting and life in the trenches of Gallipoli is based on personal experience; he was there for six months and spent the last ten days in the front lines, getting away on the last night of the evacuation (8th/9th Jan 1916). Following Gallipoli he served six months in France where he commanded ‘A’ Company of the Drake Battalion before being invalided home from the Somme. But this story, in which all the names of the characters, except in minor instances, are fictitious, is concerned only with the Gallipoli campaign, from when Rodney lands at the end of May 1915 to the evacuation six months later, thus the story mirrors the author’s experience. It may be a novel but it has all the authority of one who went through that terrible campaign and is describing his own experiences - it is real!

WAR THE INFANTRY KNEW 1914-1919
I have been waiting for a long time for someone to republish this classic.It is one of the most interesting and revealing books of its type and is a genuinely truthful and fascinating picture of the war as it was for the infantry” John Keegan “A superb mosaic of war” London Review of Books
“Sometimes, through word of mouth and shared enthusiasm, a secret book becomes famous.The War the Infantry Knew is one of them.Publihed privately in a limited edition of five hundred copies in 1938, it gained a reputation as an outstanding account of an infantry battalion’s experience on the Western Front’
“A remarkably coherent narrative of the battalion’s experiences in diary form...a moving historical record which deserves to be added to the select list of outstanding accounts of the First World War” Times Literary Suppleme

“STAND TO” A Diary of the Trenches 1915-1918.
A classic! Memorable account by an officer of 2nd Leinsters who fought with them in the trenches from May 1915 to the armistice. A tribute to the Irish soldier. This is one of the classic memoirs of the Great War, written by an officer of the 2nd Battalion the Leinster Regiment, who joined his battalion in the trenches in May 1915 and served with them to the end of the war. It is a truly memorable account and a great tribute to the soldiers from the South of Ireland, for the Leinsters were one of the five infantry regiments from Southern Ireland that formed part of the British Army; they were disbanded in July 1922. It is a vivid account, supported by some wonderful sketches and examples of the spirit and humour of the Irish soldier. This is one of the best of its kind that I have read.

OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE.
One of the finest of all published memoirs of the Great War, truly a classic of its kind. The author had enlisted in 1901 in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (spelling changed from ‘Welch’ to ‘Welsh’ in 1881 and back to ‘Welch’ in 1920) and was a reservist when war broke out. He rejoined his old, 2nd Battalion and landed in France with them on 11 August 1914. He went right through the war with the battalion, never missing a battle, winning the DCM and MM and ending up still a private. Here is a typical soldier of the pre-1914 regular army, one of the ‘Old Contemptibles’ and this book is a delight, written in his own unpolished manner. Fighting, scrounging, gambling, drinking, dodging fatigues, stolidly enduring bombardment and the hardships of trench warfare, always getting his job done. A tribute to the army that died on the Western Front in 1914

THERE'S a DEVIL in THE DRUM
A classic. Lucy enl, with his brother in the RIR 1912, 2nd Bn. in France & gives a very fine account of the 1914-1915 campaign.His brother was killed at the Aisne & Lucy was eventually sent home for a rest: “My leave... was a nightmare.My sleep was broken & full of voices & the noises of war.The voices were those of officers & men who were dead... One morning was discovered standing up in bed facing a wall ready to repel an imaginary dawn attack.” Lucy was commissioned, returned to his bn. and fought at 3rd Ypres & Cambrai until wounded.

WAR LETTERS TO A WIFE
One of the very best of its kind, by a Coldstream Guards officers who served in his 1st Battalion and later commanded 6th Connaught Rangers and 1/15th Londons (Civil Ssrvice Rifles). Brilliant descriptions of the fighting on the Western Front The Feilding family has close associations with the Coldstream Guards and Rowland Feilding, who was a captain in the City of London Yeomanry when war broke out, transferred to them and was appointed to the 3rd Battalion (4th Guards Brigade) which he joined in May 1915; ten days later he was transferred to the 1st Battalion. Following an accident in November he spent four months back home, returning to France in April 1916 to the Guards Entrenching Battalion near Bray-sur-Somme. On 7th September he took command of the Connaught Rangers (16th Irish Division) which he held for the next 18 months before again being incapacitated in an accident and invalided. In August 1918 he returned to France and was given command of the 1/15th London Regiment (Civil Service Rifles), a post he retained until demobilization in 1919.
This is a brilliant book, one of the finest personal accounts of war on the Western Front I have yet read. Feilding was a front line soldier, a natural leader, and these letters, written so closely after the events they describe, give a vivid picture of the sights and scenes on and off the battlefield and lucidly express his own thoughts and feelings. Visiting Mametz three days after its capture on 1st July 1916 he writes: Scarcely a wall stands, and of the trees nothing remains but mangled twisted stumps. The ruins present an appalling and most gruesome picture of the havoc of war, seen fresh, which no pen or picture can describe. You must see it, and smell it, and hear the sounds to understand. It brings a sort of sickening feeling to me even now, though I consider myself hardened to such sights.

FOUR YEARS ON THE WESTERN FRONT
The author (real name Aubrey Smith) served with the London Rifle Brigade (1/5th Bn London Regt) throughout the Great War. The LRB was among the first Territorial battalions to land in France (November 1914) and 'Rifleman' joined it at the end of January 1915 in Plugstreet. He served in the trenches and in the battalion Transport Section. This is one of the classics among memoirs of an other rank, one to be counted with 'Old Soldiers Never Die' and 'There's a Devil in the Drum'. He saw action at Second Ypres (gas attack), Gommecourt, the Somme, Arras, Third Ypres, Cambral, in the German 1918 offensive and in the final advance. He was awarded the MM in August 1917 and a bar in November 1918. An enthralling picture of life in an infantry battalion on the Western Front.

DEVIL DOGS: Fighting Marines of World War I
30,000 American Marines fought in World War I, suffering over 10,000 casualties in six months of struggle against sophisticated German defences and experienced German troops. This is the full history of that bitter fighting, from the Marines’ training and embarkation to their baptism of fire in the mud and mire of French trenches and the hellish fighting that followed. Engaged throughout 1918, the Corps saw heavy fighting all along the lines and took part in the Chateau Thierry offensive. Howeve, the Marines’ finest hour came in the struggle for Belleau Wood, in the summer of 1918, when the 4th Marine Brigade stormed hitherto impregnable German defences and earned themselves the accolade of ‘Devil Dogs’ by their sheer determination and fighting prowess. It was one of the finest hours in the United States Marine Corps’ history and one of the most captivating and exciting episodes in American military history.

JOURNAL OF PRIVATE FRASER, Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1918
This has to be one of the finest personal accounts of war in the trenches that I have ever read, it ranks with such as Old Soldiers Never Die and Storm of Steel. Born in Edinburgh in 1882 he immigrated to Canada in 1906 and was working in Vancouver when he enlisted at the Recruiting Depot, Calgary, on 24 November 1914, and became a private soldier in the 31st (Alberta) Battalion. He arrived in France with the 2nd Canadian Division (6th Brigade) in September 1915 and first went into the trenches on the lower slope of the Wytschaete Ridge. Over the next two years and two months he fought in every major battle - St Eloi Craters (graphic description of the appalling conditions there), Mount Sorrel, The Somme, Vimy Ridge, Hill 70 and Passchendaele where, in November 1917, he was badly wounded and was evacuated to the UK; he never returned to France. This is a truly gripping account with vivid descriptions of the horrors of that war. In September 1916 he joined the brigade MG company with which he served out the rest of his time on the Western Front. Although offered promotion more than once Fraser always declined, preferring to remain a private. This book is strongly recommended to anyone who wants to know what it was like to fight in the trenches of the Western Front.

Tommy - Richard Holmes
Amazon.co.uk Review
Tommy is Richard Holmes's tribute to the ghosts of the millions of ordinary soldiers who fought in the First World War. The book also reflects the dissatisfaction he feels at the way we still remember it. Too often we approach World War I through the literature it inspired. The poems of Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and others have their own truths to offer, but Holmes would dispute the assumption that they represent the experiences of the majority of those who endured the trench warfare of the Western Front.

To discover new voices and new perspectives on the war he has trawled through the rich archives of letters, diaries and memoirs that still exist, most of them written while the fighting still continued. From these he has constructed an extraordinarily vivid and moving picture of what it felt like to be one of the millions of men who served in the British army during the four years between August 1914 and the armistice on November 11, 1918. From Private Albert Bullock rejoicing in the discovery of 200 Woodbines in the pack of a fellow soldier who had fled the front line, to Private Eric Hiscock describing the horrors of finding himself entangled in barbed wire. The Tommies, whom Richard Holmes rescues from obscurity, prove powerful witnesses to the diverse realities of the war. Beneath the stereotyped images of the First World War that we all carry in our heads, the real lives of the men who fought it are still there to be discovered and Holmes’s book brings them forcefully to our attention. ––Nick Rennison

Most of the above can really only be got from Naval & Military Press. Many were published in the 1920's.

Ive also read all the famous novels. However it is with these Ive found the most enjoyment from.

A fantastic buy is War the Infantry Knew by Capt Dunn. Superb.

wodin -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/4/2004 1:36:18 AM)

WW1 study aids has a link to the site.

Its has the best WW1 selection of books Ive seen.

Pluss they ship worldwide at a very good price. I also get a monthly newspaper from them aswell. Very good service and like I said these are a publisher so its doubtfull you can find some of these anywhere else.

Dirtdog20 -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/4/2004 7:40:50 AM)

Lava are you saying you own a copy of the Michelin guide?

Thank you for the link Wodin. I may end up with just one Christmas Present this year.

*Lava* -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/4/2004 11:32:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtdog20

Hi!

Had to go digging for it, but I found it. It's called:

A Guide to the American Battle Fields In Europe
Prepared by the American Battle Monuments Commission
U.S. GPO, Washington, 1927

It includes about a half a dozen maps (for example, American Daily Positions During the Meuse-Argonne Operation of the American First Army, Sep 26 - Nov 11, 1918).

Has lots of great pictures including one of "German Tank Mines." They are disarmed and look like wooden boxes dug into the ground, with the lids flipped open, at about a 45% angle in relation to the ground.

Ray (alias Lava)

Dirtdog20 -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/5/2004 2:18:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtdog20

Hi!

Had to go digging for it, but I found it. It's called:

Prepared by the American Battle Monuments Commission
U.S. GPO, Washington, 1927

It includes about a half a dozen maps (for example, American Daily Positions During the Meuse-Argonne Operation of the American First Army, Sep 26 - Nov 11, 1918).

Has lots of great pictures including one of "German Tank Mines." They are disarmed and look like wooden boxes dug into the ground, with the lids flipped open, at about a 45% angle in relation to the ground.

Ray (alias Lava)

Wow. Ever think to find out how much that is worth??? [&o][&o][&o] Go get it appraised.

GWL_Tim -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/10/2004 6:46:20 PM)

Wodin - looks like you are a WW1 memoir nut like myself. Some great books there. I have just finished reading Tommy. A brilliant read.

Here's some others to try:-

Storm of Steel (and Copse 125) Ernst Junger
Patriots Progress - Henry Williamson (author of Tarka the Otter!)
Sagittarius Rising - C S Lewis (an airmans view).

You didn't mention the classics (but I assume you have read them as you have read The War the Infantry Knew)

Goodbye to All That - Robert Graves
Memoirs of George Sherston (Three books - Memoirs of a fox hunting man, memoirs of an infantry officer and Shertons progress) - Siegfried Sasson
Undertones of War Edmund Blunden
With a Machine Gun to Cambrai - George Coppard.

Richard Holmes mentions them all in Tommy.

Henry Williamson also wrote a whole series of books (about 16 I believe) which croncile his life and include at least three or four on the Great War. I have only read The Golden Virgin in this series which covers the events upto and including the first day of the Somme.

Naval and Military is definately the best place to get them. Thye stock a lot of the IMW reprints.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?-db=nmp_Orders.fp5&-format=nmpweb/frameset.htm&-new

wodin -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/11/2004 12:48:21 AM)

Thanks for the tips Ive read them all except Patriots progress.

To read at the moment are Push and the return Push, Nothing of Importance and War.

Excellent book shop Naval and Military press for WW1 books. Good to meet another WW1 memior addict like myself.

GWL_Tim -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/22/2004 11:44:25 AM)

A couple of others that you have probably read but if not well worth reading -
Some desperate Glory - Edwin Campion Vaughan (superb! covers Third Ypres)
A Subaltern on The Somme - Mark IV (real name Max Plowman I believe)
Ghosts have Warm Hands - William Bird (Canadian Black Watch)

Nothing of Importance is excellent - I like the fact that it was written during the war. I haven't heard of Push and Return Push or War - who are they by and what do they cover?

Also try Tickled to Death to Go (again mentioned in Tommy - perhaps we should just read all the books he lists LOL!). Its an cavalrymans memoirs - the part of August 1914 is the fascinating.

Edit - Nearly forgot one of my favourites - Middle Parts of Fortune (also called Her privates we - toned down version I believe) by Fredrick Manning. A real view of the private soldiers life on the Somme complete with f'ing and blinding

Have you read With the Pay and Rank of a Sapper - I keep meaning to read it as my Great grandfather was a Sapper but haven't go round to it yet!

Montbrun -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/22/2004 2:13:43 PM)

quote:

This is a readily available volume in the US$10-US$100 range depending on condition. I have 2 copies - a "Bookshelf" copy, and a copy I use. I also recommend "United States Army in the World War 1917-1919," (17 Volumes), and "Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War," (3 Volumes). These two sets are available on CD ROM from the Center of Military History.

Brad

wodin -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (9/24/2004 1:06:06 PM)

Subaltern on the Somme and Somme HArvest are two more books Im about to buy.

SOMME HARVEST. Memories of a PBI in the Summer of 1916. by Giles EM Eyre
A very gutsy description of two months intensive fighting from May to July 1916 - Loos, Bazentin and Pozieres - by a rifleman of 2nd KRRC, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division. He was taken prisoner. A rifleman’s experiences of two months intensive fighting from May to July 1916. The author was in 2nd KRRC, 2nd Bde, 1st Division and his account opens with a large scale raid by the battalion on the Triangle at Loos which cost 2 KRRC nearly 240 casualties, including Mariner VC, blown to pieces in front of the author. There follows description of bitter fighting at Bazentin and Pozières Ridge where his battalion commander, company commander and sergeant major were killed and Eyre was taken prisoner.

PUSHED AND THE RETURN PUSH by QUEX
Quex is pseudonym G.H.F.Nichols who also wrote the History of the 18th Division. He was a gunner and this is the story of his unit, 82nd Brigade RFA (18th Division), from the German offensive of March 1918 to 30th October, the day the author’s CO, to whom the book is dedicated, was killed. Quex, the pseudonym used by G.H.F Nichols, was also the author of the History of the 18th (Eastern) Division, one of Kitchener’s Second New Army divisions and one of the best in the BEF. This book is the story of one of the field artillery brigades of that division, the 82nd Brigade, from the German March 1918 offensive through to the end of the war. It is dedicated to the commanding officer, Lt Col A.Thorp, who was killed in the village of Beausies just before the end, on 30th October, and is buried in Le Cateau Military Cemetery. The account of the death of this well-loved officer brings the book to a close.
Nichols was a journalist before the war and he gives an entertaining account of life with the guns in what was above all a war of the guns. He had been wounded in August 1917 near Zillibeke serving with the 82nd Brigade and rejoined shortly before the Germans attacked. His division was in III Corps on the right of Fifth Army, near St Quentin, right in the face of the German onslaught and this well written story tells of experiences of a field artillery brigade in the retreat, right back to the gates of Amiens, and then the return push, launched on 8th August 1918. It takes us right through to that fateful day when his CO was killed.

The translation is a bit dodgy but still a good read is War! see below

WAR by Ludwig Renn
Classic German authobiogrphical novel, Western Front 1915-18. “When one looks back on his book one realises how well worth reading it was” - Falls In his War Books Cyril Falls expresses uncertainty whether this book should be classed as fiction or reminiscence, eventually plumping for the former but based on personal experiences. The Times Literary Supplement of the day comments that he [Renn] recorded his impressions with that extreme simplicity which is one of the highest forms of literary art. The author is the central figure who begins the war as a lance corporal and finishes as a sergeant having served on the Western Front from beginning to end, from the invasion of Belgium to the armistice. He was wounded on the Somme and again during the March offensive. His vivid descriptions of the fighting - the Somme, the 1917 Aisne-Champagne battle, the trenches and the final German offensive quite clearly, to my mind, reflect what he personally went through, and the result is a Great War classic.

Also more to buy are............

HAUNTING YEARS by William Linton Andrews
The author, a journalist before the war, served in the 1/4th Black Watch in the trenches of the Western front from Feb 1915 to Jan 1918, rising to the rank of Sgt. Dramatic descriptions of Neuve Chapelle, Festubert, Loos, the Somme and Third Ypres. Then began, after a single shot that appeared to be a signal, the hell fury of bombardment from 480 guns and howitzers. The noise almost split our wits......There was no difficulty in making out the German trenches. They had become long clouds of smoke and dust, flashing continuously with shell-bursts, and with enormous masses of trench material and bodies sailing high above the smoke cloud. Thus does the author describe the opening barrage of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle on 10th March 1915.
William Linton Andrews, a Yorkshire man living and working in Dundee, was News Editor of the morning Dundee Advertiser when war broke out. Within a couple of days he was one of a crowd swarming outside the local recruiting office trying to enlist, and when he finally succeeded a few days later he discovered he was not the regular soldier he aspired to be but a Territorial. He tried to transfer but gave up when a dozen or so of his colleagues from the paper marched in and joined him in the 1/4th Black Watch. On 26th February 1915 the battalion arrived in France and joined the Bareilly Brigade of the 7th (Meerut) Division in the Indian Corps and within a few days the battalion was in action at Neuve Chapelle, the first British offensive of the war. For nearly three years Linton served in the trenches, rising to the rank of sergeant, and when he went home in mid-January 1918 to attend an officers training course, he was one of the very few men, possibly the only one, who had been with the battalion all the time. Festubert, Loos, the Somme and Third Ypres - Andrews was in them all and survived them all. As a journalist he has a eye for detail and a facility with the pen that tells a wonderful story.
In my own copy of the book there is an inscription in the author’s handwriting, signed by him; it reads: Written lest others forget our comrades, for we never shall.

GREAT PUSH. An Episode of The Great War by Patrick McGill
A vivid account of the Battle of Loos by one who was there with the 1/18th London Irish Rifles, part of the 47th (2nd London) Division. Written at the scene of action, some of it in the trenches the night before the assault. The firefly lamps were lighted yet
As we crossed the top of the parapet,
But the East grew pale to another fire,
As our bayonets gleamed by the foeman’s wire.
And the Eastern sky was gold and grey,
And under our feet the dead men lay,
As we entered Loos in the morning
This is one of the most vivid accounts of a battle I have read - the Battle of Loos. The author was a well known writer before the war in which he served as a stretcher-bearer with the 1/18th London Irish Rifles in the 47th (2nd London) Division. As he says in his introduction practically the whole book was written in the scene of action, and the chapter dealing with the battalion’s night at Les Brebis prior to the Big Push, was written in the trench between midnight and dawn of September 25th. This is powerful stuff, the descriptions of the scenes on the battlefield, the pulverizing bombardments, the horror of it all. The enemy snipers on Hulloch copse were busy, and probably the dying were being hit again. Some of them desired it, the slow process of dying on the open field of war is so dreadful. As a stretcher bearer who went over the top with the battalion MacGill had plenty of experience of dealing with the wounded and the dying: Now he lay close to earth hugging an entanglement prop, and dying.....I knelt down beside him and cut his tunic with my scissors where a burnt hole clotted with blood showed under the kidney. A splinter of shell had torn part of the man’s side away. All hope was lost for the poor soul. And yet there was humour in spite of the carnage, and some of the dialogue brings this out. This is the reality of war on the Western Front and you won’t find it more convincingly described, anywhere.

Finally a great fictional series is Derek Robinsons RFC books.

In this order.

Hornet Sting
War Story
Goshawk Squadron.

Figjam -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (10/19/2004 1:49:58 PM)

Hi everyone,
Great list of books - I will have to get hold of Tommy[:)].

I have been having a go with primary sources at the moment. I was researching into my great uncle who was in the 23rd Battalion Australian Imperial Force - he joined up immediately, went through Gallipoli and was killed in August 1916 at Pozieres during the Somme offensive.

I found a lot of info at the Australian War Memorial and also stimbled across his war records which - along with all the other Australian war records - have just been scanned and are accessible on-line. Using this I cross-referenced with a book I found "Forward Undeterred - The history of the 23rd Battalion AIF" by Ron Austin and Bean's Official history of Australia in the War of 1914-18 (actually a good read and available on line through the Australian War Memorial). I was then able to figure out all sorts of details such as when he took leave, which transports he was on, when he was in the line and also a pretty good idea of the location of his death to a few hundred yards.

It all comes alive when it linked to something personal - I'd suggest it if you can.

I must say I am very excited about this game - I used to spend hours/days playing AHs Guns of August against myself. This is well overdue and I can't wait[:D]

Kevinugly -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (10/19/2004 5:31:27 PM)

'Forgotten Voices of the Grear War' by Max Arthur (in assoc. with the Imperial War Museum) - a compilation of personal 'memories' drawn from the IWM sound archive.

'Poems of the Great War' - a little Penguin compilation.

wodin -> RE: WWI Novels, memoirs, and the like. (10/20/2004 4:17:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

'Forgotten Voices of the Grear War' by Max Arthur (in assoc. with the Imperial War Museum) - a compilation of personal 'memories' drawn from the IWM sound archive.

'Poems of the Great War' - a little Penguin compilation.

Both good books;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI