korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

tomh21 -> korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (9/9/2004 5:53:15 AM)

hello, whats the difference between korsun pocket and AA hwy to the reich? ive read a few reveiws but still cant tell what the difference in gameplay is. are they basically the same except for dealing with different parts of ww2? any enlightenment appreciated. tomh21

Rainbow7 -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (9/9/2004 6:25:48 AM)

Both are operational strategy titles, though in HttR you'll be handling units down to companies, and in KP it's mostly battalions and divisions. The big difference, though, is how play proceeds. KP is traditional turn-based (I go, then you go). You make all your moves and then press the end-of-turn button to pass the initiative to your opponent. HttR is pausable, realtime. All your units are continuously moving according to your commands. You can set how fast time passes and when you give orders, it may take some time for your orders to filter down through the ranks to the companies of men, etc. Vastly different play styles, really.

Fred98 -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (9/9/2004 7:46:08 AM)

Both games are great but both quite different.

Korsun Pocket is turn based. You play a turn, I play a turn - just like chess. The larger force attacks the smaller force and you get odds such as 5-1 or 6-1 and then bowl a virtual dice.

HTTR is continous time - just like real life!. It can be played at Fast, Medium Slow - and can be paused so you can think about it. If you play a good game, then the enemy takes losses and they ultimately break and you capture the ground - just like real life.

Get both games - you will not be disapointed.

Bertram -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (9/22/2004 11:11:25 PM)

Both are good games, but totally different, even though they depict the same conflict(s) on about the same scale.

In addition to the above: One main difference is in how the units react to your commands. In HTTR you give commands to a unit, or group of units, and they start to excecutre your orders. BUT there is a delay before they do so, and the AI plans the execution of your orders.

KP and BiN are more "traditional" games, as described aove, each turn you move all your units, or not, as you wish.

In gameplay this makes for a great difference. While in both you need to have a plan, in HTTR you need to plan further ahead, and it is more difficult to change the plan once it is under way. This is its main strenght I think, and it feels rather realistic. If you see an opportunity, and want your troops to switch targets, it takes some (or a lot) of time to reorganize them, coordinate the things, and get them moving the other way. In KP you can "turn your troops on a dime". This sometimes leads to troops from all over the front descending on one hapless unit, and then dispersing again to their defensive positions, or divisions charging one way, and then, seeing an enemy racing the other way the next turn.

Unfortunatly the HTTR system isn't perfect yet (nor near it). Its strenght is also its weakness, as the AI sometimes makes a mess of the orders you give, and then you need to micromanage units, when the gamesystem is intended for you to give orders to larger formations. And the delay, which is realistic in a lot of situations, is irritating in others, as it is, for example, very difficult to keep pressure on a retreating enemy. There is no such order, so you have to give a pursuit order (move order) regulary, and then there is a delay before youtr men get moving. Same goes for moving along a road. If you order your units to move for 8 miles, and after they started you decide they need to move instead for 9 miles along that road, you better not order it, because if you do everyone stops, and takes up to an hour or two to plan the extra mile. And if you are unlucky the AI might decide to switch all units in the order of march around, for some reason.

Last difference: KP and BiN are turn based, so you can play them by email. HTTR is continious, so you need to play it online against human opponents. A practical matter what you prefer.

Bertram

Awac835 -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (11/10/2004 7:42:29 PM)

I don't think you can say that the two games are on the same scale. BIN/KP are much bigger ofcurse it depends on the scenario you play but also the timespan, a turn in BIN is 1 day and the scenarios goes from 10 to 32(72) turns while in HTTR the scenarios are somewhere between 3-6 days.

I would put it like this... If you play BIN and ever wondered how the fight would look in real life between those two divisons, or corps i would turn to HTTR to get that zoomed in view of the action.

Kevinugly -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (11/10/2004 8:26:05 PM)

Further to Bertram's comments. The AI in HTTR isn't perfect but it's better than any other game out there at present. There are also plenty of options that you can take according to the way you play. For example, if the 'orders delay' is unsuitable for you then it can be turned off, made longer or shorter according to your preference. Also, if you want to micro-manage every single unit on the battlefield then you can or, if you prefer, you can issue orders to your AI brigade commanders and then sit back and watch until you feel the need to intervene. I have both games but my preference is for HTTR, mostly for the reasons given above. Apart from that they both model WW2 conflict pretty convincingly and neither would make a bad purchase.

Smirfy -> RE: korsunpocket v airborne assult hwy to reich (11/12/2004 5:48:26 PM)

The difference for me is KP seems too abstract whilst HTTR really has a good feel to it with frontages, depth and precise make-up of units. Httr seems to capture the intensity of combat better and is rewarding when a good plan comes off and a cruel teacher when you use a poor plan.

The biggest critism I have of HTTR is no complete campaign unlike KP but this only because it plays so well.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI