Is the game TOOO long to play??? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

ulysisgrunt -> Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 5:16:47 PM)

Well, I belive that I am playing between 10 and 20 daily turns in a real week....
If the game is about 1600 turns long, It will take me about one and a half to three years to complete.

As new updates become available, will I be able to play my current campaign? If I switch to a new update (and loose the old campaign) would I have to start over, and in all probability never finish the game?

I notice that almost all the discussions seem to be about opening moves...
Has anyone ever finished the game using daily moves???

Twotribes -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 5:21:46 PM)

I seriously doubt anyone has finished a human versus human game playing a long campaign, and I doubt anyone has finished against the computer without an auto victory occurring long before the war was actually over.

As to long games, I like them. Takes for ever to do stuff but so what, better than 3 month turns that have the whole war done in (39 - 45 ) 22 to 25 turns.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 5:46:30 PM)

Yes it is a very long game. But i am glad it is so long. It gives you plenty of time too plan, move and fight. But if you run 2 to 3 day turns and hit escape key, the game will speed up( you probley know this). But anyway if the game had been cut too-lets say, each turn was a week or month. Then i would have been very disappointed. [:D] Hang in there![:'(]

mogami -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 6:15:46 PM)

Hi, I think the games that are 1 week or more per turn are like those records they sell with 50 Classical selections but only a minute and a half of each. You get just enough to know what you are missing. 1 day turns is the complete Beethoven Symphony Collection. (with the 32 Piano Sonatas, the String Quartets and Concetros thrown in to boot.)

Mr.Frag -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 7:03:53 PM)

quote:

As new updates become available, will I be able to play my current campaign? If I switch to a new update (and loose the old campaign) would I have to start over, and in all probability never finish the game?

The 1.3 update may make you want to restart just due to the large number of corrections and improvements, but as always, the choice is completely up to you.

No one will ever force you to upgrade or restart.

The game can also be installed in multiple locations so you can keep the old version running in one directory and have the new version installed in another directory.

The only thing that is questionable is going backwards from a new version to an old version. Once you commit to running a game with the new version, going back to the old version will very likely mess things up.

Nikademus -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 7:35:03 PM)

for PBEM play i recommend 2 or 3 day turns. 2 day is the best compromise between detailed control and accelerated play and also has the benefit of increasing some aspects of realism because it forces you to think ahead more and rely on the tacAI (i.e your "commanders" of various commands/TF's/airgroups etc) to make decisions about retirement or going thru etc etc.

Being on average a 1 turn per day PBEM player its really my only option unless i want to spend 3 years playing. Test games using this allowed me and my opponent to get as far as mid 42 in only around a month to a month and a half's worth of real time (thats a half year's+ into the game)

mogami -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 7:35:12 PM)

Hi, Before you run older version on newer version copy the file and store it a folder "old save" If you have a problem with new version you can go back but you will have to repeat any turns done with newer version.

Platoonist -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 7:58:14 PM)

I started my current campaign game against the AI right after the 1.22 patch came out in August and I am up to mid-September 1942. Oi! I'm hoping I can get the boys home before Christmas. [8D]

esteban -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/11/2004 9:16:42 PM)

There are some things that can ease the length of the game.

1. Fixing the current problems with the convoy loading system/algorithms. That would probably speed up turns by 10-20% on average. It takes a ton of time to properly load troop convoys using the current, flawed system.

2. Removing aircraft engine factories from the game, and doubling the HI cost of Japanese aircraft to abstract the engine production. This would shave a little time off of production.

3. The ability to declare a "cease fire" with the Allies in certain theaters, when the situation in that theater reaches a stalemate. If the cease fire is agreed upon, no units in that theater (each one is equal to a computer control area) can attack or be attacked, but the AI does not kick in to take over units there. That way you can move units and develop bases in these areas, but without the combat threat, they will take a little less time to administer.

4. Improve the autoconvoy system so that you can set supply/fuel/oil/resource levels at certain bases, and the autoconvoy system will work to maintain those levels. That would ease the need to create so many player controlled convoys.

5. Being able to sort the Japanese ship build lists by those units that are within 10X their durability, and are therefore really under construction.

6. Being able to set filters so you can only see, or filter out, units belonging to certain HQs/theaters. It would make it much easier to give orders to units in certain theaters if you could suppress the "chaff".

7. Being able to "chain" commands for construction at bases. So you could set a base to build it's fortifications until it hits level 5, then switch to airfield construction until that hits level 6, then return to fortifications until level 7, then build the port to a certain level. That would save you from constantly having to check your various bases to see how construction is going, then changing whats under construction to whatever your new priorities are, then having to go back and check again on construction later on.

Halsey -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/12/2004 12:03:28 AM)

Too long! Bite your tongue! This is what wargaming is all about![:D]

If you want a shorter gaming experience, try Stratego! My bomb takes out your spy. I win.[:D]

Twotribes -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/12/2004 2:58:56 AM)

The Japanese would never have agreed to a cease fire in some areas. Nor would the allies. The Japanese would have agreed to a total ceasefire cause after all they were looking to hold what they grabbed and knew it would be hard to do. But the allies ad no intention of such an event.

jubail1999 -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/12/2004 6:57:34 AM)

Too long? Is that even possible? [:D]

If this is really a problem for somebody, just download PacWar from the Matrix Download page, and play that. 1 turn equals 1 week.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 1:59:25 AM)

I agree with 100% Mogami! I wish i could talk and type like you. Couldn't said it better.[:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I think the games that are 1 week or more per turn are like those records they sell with 50 Classical selections but only a minute and a half of each. You get just enough to know what you are missing. 1 day turns is the complete Beethoven Symphony Collection. (with the 32 Piano Sonatas, the String Quartets and Concetros thrown in to boot.)

sacorsair -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 8:04:30 AM)

3. The ability to declare a "cease fire" with the Allies in certain theaters, when the situation in that theater reaches a stalemate. If the cease fire is agreed upon, no units in that theater (each one is equal to a computer control area) can attack or be attacked, but the AI does not kick in to take over units there. That way you can move units and develop bases in these areas, but without the combat threat, they will take a little less time to administer.

This would take all the strategy from the game!! In PBEM why would anyone in thier right mind agree to this??? Thats like being the black knight in Monty Python with one leg left trying to fight!!!!!

[image]local://upfiles/13301/Tq486888105.gif[/image]

Sinjen -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 5:58:23 PM)

NO I love the game as is. Sans any bugs of course.

MuguNiner -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 10:38:11 PM)

quote:

"The 1.3 update may make you want to restart just due to the large number of corrections and improvements, but as always, the choice is completely up to you."

when will 1.3 be released????

Tankerace -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 10:40:51 PM)

"when its done."

That's all we ever get told...

MuguNiner -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 10:44:05 PM)

oh, i see... it's the old "hurry up and wait" thing all over again. I tell ya, this game is too real! [:D]

dereck -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/13/2004 11:36:27 PM)

How do we know when a patch/new relase has been released and how do we get it?

Drex -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/14/2004 12:13:46 AM)

I thought UV was too long too but it soon becomes irrelevant when you are having fun. Of course if you are getting your arse kicked over a period of real months it might be difficult to take.

mogami -> RE: Is the game TOOO long to play??? (9/14/2004 7:46:40 PM)

Hi, Since I began my fisrt PBEM game 19 days ago I have to date sent back 148 PBEM turns.

Games in progress 7
Turns
1x8
1x9
2x15
1x22
1x25
1x54 [X(] (almost 3 turns per day here and it is early to day)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI