Boardgames: Flat Top, The Eagle and The Sun (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

sinner -> Boardgames: Flat Top, The Eagle and The Sun (5/9/2001 7:38:00 AM)

Hi there, This is my first post here (hurray!) Anyway. Long time ago, when there were no computers... (yes, I'm married) I used to play an Avalon Hill (board) game called "Flat Top". It was about Guadalcanal, Coral Sea... campaigns. Did you guys ever played it? Do you know about it? It was pretty good for simulation of Air-Sea operations (no troops), with 1 turn = 1 hour scale. Was fun to play, even though the combat tables were... special. They even published extension games (notably Midway and Wake) on the magazine "The General". It could be a good source for getting info inorder to develop combat models. I also played (once) a monster game called "The Eagle and The Sun". It was way too complex. It was something like WitP (= operational game) mixed with Flat Top (= tactical aspects). How can be useful here? It had nice ideas such as ship positioning in a TaskForce (outer ring, inner ring and core), original force multiplier calculation systems and and extensive OOB. With a bunch of frined we built our own "extensions": "Leyte Gulf" and "Leyte Gulf 2: What If". The second one was about IJN with more carriers (Shinano...), better pilots, lots of aircraft types... It sounds like your production system will be like that. And it was fun to play! Oh Yeah! (the main IJN BB-heavy CA managed to get in close-combat range with a disembarking TaskForce and a CV TaskForce! Anyway, I just wanted to share my ideas about it. Check six, Sinner

Mike Wood -> (5/9/2001 2:50:00 PM)

Hello... Welcome to the forum. Yes, we have played and enjoyed these board games, and a number of computer games, as well. And, we have gleaned what we could from them. We have on the design team for this project, Joel Billings and Gary Grigsby, who have designed and programmed dozens of war games for the Pacific theatre. We are working hard, to make a game that you will enjoy. Thanks for Your interest... Michael Wood Lead Programmer, Matrix Games
quote:

Originally posted by Sinner from the Prairy: Hi there, This is my first post here (hurray!) Anyway. Long time ago, when there were no computers... (yes, I'm married) I used to play an Avalon Hill (board) game called "Flat Top". It was about Guadalcanal, Coral Sea... campaigns. Did you guys ever played it? Do you know about it? It was pretty good for simulation of Air-Sea operations (no troops), with 1 turn = 1 hour scale. Was fun to play, even though the combat tables were... special. They even published extension games (notably Midway and Wake) on the magazine "The General". It could be a good source for getting info inorder to develop combat models. I also played (once) a monster game called "The Eagle and The Sun". It was way too complex. It was something like WitP (= operational game) mixed with Flat Top (= tactical aspects). How can be useful here? It had nice ideas such as ship positioning in a TaskForce (outer ring, inner ring and core), original force multiplier calculation systems and and extensive OOB. With a bunch of frined we built our own "extensions": "Leyte Gulf" and "Leyte Gulf 2: What If". The second one was about IJN with more carriers (Shinano...), better pilots, lots of aircraft types... It sounds like your production system will be like that. And it was fun to play! Oh Yeah! (the main IJN BB-heavy CA managed to get in close-combat range with a disembarking TaskForce and a CV TaskForce! Anyway, I just wanted to share my ideas about it. Check six, Sinner

Talorgan -> (5/18/2001 12:16:00 AM)

If the level of detail in Flat Top could be replicated on disc with a decent AI, then I will be a happy man.

sinner -> (5/18/2001 10:13:00 AM)

If I ever see a computer FlatTop, with plenty of areas to choose from (from Aleutians to Ceylan), I will be a bloody happy chap. "Niikita Yama Nobore" Adm. Yamamoto "Kill Japs, Kill more Japs" Adm. Hasley (?) Salut, Sinner

slammer -> (5/18/2001 8:04:00 PM)

In case you guys are still interested in playing a flattop/airpower there is an older one still available for the PC. It called carriers at war by SSG. By todays standards ( graphics etc. ) its way behind but its still a fun game to play. The user interface takes some practice but there is a good tutorial that comes with it. Thats my two cents for the day.

FirstPappy -> (5/19/2001 2:06:00 AM)

This might make you a happy chap! http://www.cincpac.com/

Talorgan -> (5/19/2001 5:31:00 PM)

This game is not available on disc though is it?

sinner -> (5/23/2001 6:42:00 AM)

Thanks for the URL! :) But it lacks AI intelligence, and with those games, having to wait or ifnding someone with waaaaaaaaaaay wild available gaming time is close to impossible :( Anyway, I will keep looking. And maybe Il even buy FlatTop or TE&TS if I find them for a reasonable price! Salut, Sinner

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI