Sky Captain's P40 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Skyros -> Sky Captain's P40 (9/19/2004 11:13:05 PM)

Just came back from taking my kids to the movies and I really want to get Sky Captain's P40. Alls that I need is just one and I can hold the Phillipines, and the floating British airbases will come in handy over the Indian ocean.

Movie was a lot of fun if you like the Buck Rodgers style of Science Fiction/Fantasy. My kids had a blast.

pasternakski -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/19/2004 11:35:12 PM)

Stupid robots. All they had to do was get ahold of a couple of Zeros.

Nikademus -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/19/2004 11:37:29 PM)

the P-40X.

the great what if........died an early death due to Congressional budget cuts.....

ah well..

[;)]

BossGnome -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 3:06:31 AM)

that movie made no sense...the real genius of it was the cinematography.

Nikademus -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 6:48:52 AM)

well i hear it was based off of a comic strip so what did you expect? [:'(]

It looks like fun though, and even the critics like it.

TSCofield -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 7:10:11 AM)

The underwater flight models of the P-40 were absolutely porked. I have dived several P-40's underwater and I can't get mine to do the same thing even once.

My son loved it, it was a cross between Buck Rogers and Metropolis. Very interesting stuff. Certainly not the best movie I ever saw but worth the money.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 8:23:03 AM)

Any stupid martial arts crap in this? If not, I think I'll go see it for fun. Justcan't take any more gratuitous chop suey. Man movies are lame the last few years...[:(]

dtravel -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 9:48:58 AM)

No, no chop suey. No plot either for that matter. (IMO)

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 1:41:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

No, no chop suey. No plot either for that matter. (IMO)
No plans to see it either.

Steve.

strawbuk -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 2:47:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Any stupid martial arts crap in this? If not, I think I'll go see it for fun. Justcan't take any more gratuitous chop suey. Man movies are lame the last few years...[:(]

If you are in any way dissing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon then possibly for the first time I will have to be very rude to you Mr S, and challenge you to a duel somewhere south of Midway. [sm=00000055.gif]

Mind you the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon flying-through-bamboo-forest scene may be method used by IJA in Burma to get across those 60 mile jungle hexes so fast.

edit for gratuitous land combat comment

UncleBuck -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 6:11:58 PM)

CTHD was fine it was the other 10 million Flyign by wirte movies that had ntohing to do with Kung Fu or Fantasy that got me. Why woudl you have teh Matrix, John Woo special effects in every movie? Can you imagine Rocky directed by John Woo?

UB

Feinder -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 6:22:08 PM)

I think I saw every other classic movie, as we sat thru that.

The set for Shangri-La, looked an awful lot like "Rivendell".
When his P-40 first went under water, I was thinking of Bond's DeLorean.
When it surfaced in the swamp, I was thinking, "Ok, which tree is Yoda hiding behind?!"
Weaving in and out of the downtown buildings, I could just hear Vader saying, "The force is strong with this one!"
As they travelled across Mongolia, I was thinking "You cwazy Dr. Jones!"

Pretty good flick. Not "OMG! It was awesome!", but not too bad. Refreshingly different.

-F-

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 6:49:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: strawbuk

quote:

If you are in any way dissing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon then possibly for the first time I will have to be very rude to you Mr S, and challenge you to a duel somewhere south of Midway. [sm=00000055.gif]

Mind you the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon flying-through-bamboo-forest scene may be method used by IJA in Burma to get across those 60 mile jungle hexes so fast.

edit for gratuitous land combat comment

It was one of them.[;)] I did not mind the odd martial arts theme, but it has become the popular staple force fed to the movie going masses, gruel for the downtrodden. It is now in almost every frigging movie that does not have a Kate Beckinsalesque love interest chick flick theme or is another bloody remake. A plot would be nice.

Nikademus -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 7:21:17 PM)

My karate instructor never taught me the "Finger point/fly in air" Kata. Sounds even better than the 5 point exploding heart technique. [:D]

TSCofield -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/20/2004 9:27:29 PM)

I of course am working on 'The Touch of Death' move.

witpwife -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/21/2004 12:24:09 AM)

There is one brief martial arts scene in it, but it fits into the plot, and the reason for it is revealed later in the movie. The film nods its head at a number of film genres, in a cleaver way. Be forwarned, it is just like watching a video vintage comic book, so you need to be open to something really different.

quote:

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/21/2004 2:44:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpwife

There is one brief martial arts scene in it, but it fits into the plot, and the reason for it is revealed later in the movie. The film nods its head at a number of film genres, in a cleaver way. Be forwarned, it is just like watching a video vintage comic book, so you need to be open to something really different.

quote:

I heard it was done totally using blue screens.

dtravel -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/21/2004 4:50:19 AM)

quote:

If you mean the movie, yes. The only non-CGI in the movie was the actors and even their images were altered to fit in with the CGI. (Mostly color changes.)

strawbuk -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/21/2004 11:15:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

If you mean the movie, yes. The only non-CGI in the movie was the actors and even their images were altered to fit in with the CGI. (Mostly color changes.)

And in the case of Angelina Jolie her 'acting' also had to be CGI enhanced as usual.

More pertinant to this high brow debate [sm=00000007.gif]on kitch 30's style nonsense is The Rocketeer. Device 999 in the database (it is the shaded, locked out entry) is clearly the rocket pack which IJA is fully equipped with. Hence there is not 'teleporting' across 60miles hexes in pursuit it is 'rocketpacking' across.

And if only the Shadow was properly modelled we would have no more FOW issues.

dr. smith -> RE: Sky Captain's P40 (9/21/2004 4:28:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SimHq Tom Cofield

I of course am working on 'The Touch of Death' move.

I am SO close to perfecting my 'Vulcan Death Grip'! or is it the 'Mind Meld'? does it really make a difference?! ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI