HOI, RTW & Paradox (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

scout1 -> HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/20/2004 12:22:49 PM)

I purchased HOI way back when it came out and was as disappointed as everyone converning all the problems it had. I found and followed the website, Road to War (RTW)
which posted fan-based mod's and patches which evetually got the game into a playable state (kinda). It's been awhile since I've checked back, but recently noticed that

a) Paradox is now selling a "Platinum" version which I've read is noting more than what
was once freely available as patches/mod's from RTW

and (this is the good part) ....

b) The RTW website, where the free stuff was has vanished, apparently without a trace.

Were these events linked ?????

Spooky -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/20/2004 1:37:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

I purchased HOI way back when it came out and was as disappointed as everyone converning all the problems it had. I found and followed the website, Road to War (RTW)
which posted fan-based mod's and patches which evetually got the game into a playable state (kinda). It's been awhile since I've checked back, but recently noticed that

a) Paradox is now selling a "Platinum" version which I've read is noting more than what
was once freely available as patches/mod's from RTW

and (this is the good part) ....

b) The RTW website, where the free stuff was has vanished, apparently without a trace.

Were these events linked ?????

Maybe you should ask about these 2 events in the HOI Paradox forum.

However, AFAIK, HOI Platinum is for the new players and will include HOI 1.06c (the last version) + the CORE mod.

The Road to War website was closed by his owner last may IIRC because :
- it costs too much (bandwith !)
- the site was hacked ...

There are other websites with HOI mods (WWI, Stony's, Core ...) so please no conspiracy theory [;)]

dinsdale -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/21/2004 5:22:19 AM)

Road To War usually runs out of bandwidth during the month. CORE has several other download mirrors.

Time to take off the tinfoil beanie, there's no conspiracy.

ancient doctor -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/22/2004 8:20:57 PM)

HoI platinum edition is a chance to resell the game by introducing it again since the original game had stoped been produced.Paradox had done a good job in improving the original HoI 1 but the latest patches(1.06b/c) are very dissapointing with the new problematic features and the still unsolved ones from before.Perhaps the best part is CORE,these people have done a tremendous job creating a mod very much superior than the original game within its own limitations.
Anyway if you ask me the HoI platinum will probably be introduced in order to smooth the road for the sequel:HoI 2 which seems to be a far better game(althought i am sure it will not be bug free in the original release and early patches-something which seems to be a Paradox policy for every game they had till HoI 1 utleast).
So if i was a potential customer i whould wait to get the HoI2 instead of a product with little capacity for improvement(even of the existing troubles/bugs).

Pippin -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/23/2004 2:18:49 AM)

I was thinking on checking out HOI quite some time ago. However, the amount of negative comments regarding this game from war-gamers kept me hesitant from picking it up. Looks like I did the right thing so far.

ancient doctor -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/23/2004 10:09:06 PM)

Well to say this with the fewer words possible,why should someone pay for a game already old and without improvement potential(HoI1)when after 3-4 months will be able to get its succesor which(i hope)wont repeat the same mistakes and bugs of the past?

ravinhood -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/26/2004 10:55:44 PM)

Yeah why pay such an extreme retail price for a remake of the same thing that you can find on ebay or amazon.com for under $10 if you are patient and then just download the bloomin patch 1.06b I recommend and the C.O.R.E. mod. or Stoney Road mod which I prefer moreso.

As I said before it's just a MILKING ploy by Paradox and I will preach it around the globe. ;)

String -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/27/2004 5:31:25 PM)

despite the almost rabid anti-paradox sentiments here i dare to say that i liked HoI:)

ofcourse games like WITP do a much better job at depicting a specific theatre but afaik there is no game like HoI where you basically have all of the world to play around with.

edit: and no, even if i already didn't have HoI i wouldn't buy the plat edition, i'd wait for HoI2 ..

ancient doctor -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (9/27/2004 10:24:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

despite the almost rabid anti-paradox sentiments here i dare to say that i liked HoI:)

Where did you see anti Paradox sintiment increasing?
All that i have seen has been logical arguments written in a polite and civilised way.
I also like HoI and i have it,unfortunatelly the last patches-1.06b/c-seem to be rather a step back instead of improvement.However HoI is perhaps the only available strategic games of this kind and althought still with not a few troubles a nice thing to play.
So more or less a good base to wait for the succesor.I just hope that the usual Paradox tactics of making the 1.00 version been actually a beta version wont happen again.

String -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (10/2/2004 12:53:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ancient seaman

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Where did you see anti Paradox sintiment increasing?
All that i have seen has been logical arguments written in a polite and civilised way.
I also like HoI and i have it,unfortunatelly the last patches-1.06b/c-seem to be rather a step back instead of improvement.However HoI is perhaps the only available strategic games of this kind and althought still with not a few troubles a nice thing to play.
So more or less a good base to wait for the succesor.I just hope that the usual Paradox tactics of making the 1.00 version been actually a beta version wont happen again.

I wouldn't call some of the comments (not here but in other paradox themed threads) polite or civilised. And the anti-Paradox sentiment here might not have increased lately, but it has been high all the time imho (sadly)

ancient doctor -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (10/2/2004 11:18:18 AM)

I dont know about other sites but here i havent seen anything that justifies your words.As about Paradox sentiments its business as usual.If you make a good product they will adore you,if not they will hate you.Its not different for anybody and i dont see why it is sad for Paradox especially.These guys have a practise to make top idea games and begin selling them unfinished.Now some people dont care to be a Beta who gives his money for that project as far as he/she knows that future patches will bring it to what it should have been.Other however want an as much as possible finished game when they get it.They dont want to pay for a beta version.Now since they give their money i think its absolutely correct to bash them as far as they beliave that product in hand is unfinished.
As you can see by yourself everybody is treatd by his product.

Kevinugly -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (10/2/2004 6:31:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I was thinking on checking out HOI quite some time ago. However, the amount of negative comments regarding this game from war-gamers kept me hesitant from picking it up. Looks like I did the right thing so far.

Therein lies part of the problem. HoI is no more a 'wargame' than other Paradox releases or Civilisation for that matter. Like those games the combat is incidental to the research/production/diplomacy side of it. Approached in that manner it can be a quite satisfying, if utterly ahistorical, game.

Regarding the buggy releases of Paradox games, I can remember reading an article several years back in a gaming magazine about the American games market which basically suggested that American gamers were more tolerant of bugs in their games than were Brits and Europeans. Significantly, the Paradox games are released over here some time after their American release and they arrive already patched (HoI was at version 1.03 iirc). Whether the article was correct I don't know but it does seem that Paradox's perception of the US market follows that.

arax3 -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (10/10/2004 2:15:46 AM)

I have been an HOI fan for a long time. The newest Core mod is quite a good game IMHO. Stoney Road is run by the three stooges and is a bunch of crap. A3

ravinhood -> RE: HOI, RTW & Paradox (10/11/2004 10:21:48 AM)

quote:

IMHO. Stoney Road is run by the three stooges and is a bunch of crap. A3

See and that's the way I basically think about Paradox and C.O.R.E. mod itself. To each their own opinion of course, and mine is always correct of course ( to me) ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI